Return to CyclingForum Home Page CYCLING TECH TALK FORUM
          View posts since last visit

Darwinism?

Author Thread Post new topic Reply to topic
Sparky

6/1/19 8:06 PM

Darwinism?

Yesterday. Look at the pic.

I am the green DOT/Car, and the pink DOT lane cars ALWAYs come over the line and crowd the lane I was in. This the insane intersection my wife's car got totaled in 2017 from a txting drvr/car running the light. 2 dozen lanes of in a hurry mad [& txting] assholes converging simultaneously.

As I proceeded transitioning the 90^ left turn, looking front, then left to see how close the left lane car was going to come over the line 'this time'.. I look up/over scanning up and right and on my right [red arrow in yellow circle] is a guy on his bicycle facing the oncoming traffic waiting for the light to change. Smokes!

Reply to topic     Send e-mail

Matthew Currie

6/1/19 11:39 PM

Happens here about half the time. The other half the time, the dots are reversed and the outer one cuts the corner instead.

You can't win.

The intersection shown looks very like the eastern end of Route 4 as it joins Route 7 in Rutland Vermont, except for the markings. April may be familiar with this one if she goes to Killington.

Reply to topic    

April

6/2/19 9:16 AM

quote:
April may be familiar with this one if she goes to Killington.

Yes, I’m familiar with that intersection. (though I no longer go that way these days. I now “acquired” a ski buddy who has a house at Londondery. So I would drive up there first then go to Killington from there)

Not at all unique in that intersection setup. Yes, often seen cars cutting randomly across lanes. The solution is lane marking the turn itself. But many municipalities don’t.

Sparky

6/2/19 9:39 AM

"The solution is lane marking the turn itself. But many municipalities don’t."

I suspect with the insane flow in this particular intersection, any painting or epoxied on lane dot marking would get worn off post haste and there-fore be a huge maintenance expense to maintain. Plus, when the light changes the cars going straight thu would be running over any marking mostly.

Neither Elaine or I go straight there, always going left to get off that road onto the less traveled left route. Both go in the direction we need to get home.

Literally, the mid pink dot is where she hit the guy going thru the red light with no lights on at dawn pretty much.

BTW, a fly over ramp is planned for this intersection, but not expected to get started for a few years...

April

6/2/19 10:24 AM

Excuse, Excuse, Excuse...

I only see them a lot in Canada. I thought it’s an excellent idea. If the Canucks can keep the markings fresh despite harsh winter of snow and ice, why Portland can’t is beyond me.

Of the states I spent enough time in, Florida and California have excellent road marking. Utah (Salt Lake city/Park City) has terrible road marking. I used to think it’s the snow and ice, or the lack of in CA/FL. But the Canucks proved otherwise.

Sparky

6/2/19 10:44 AM

Isn't actually Portland there FWIW. Rather the oldest City in Oregon, Oregon City approx. 15 mile out. I don't think there is room for double turning lanes anywhere in Portland I have seen I recall..

I totally do not understand the 'excuse excuse excuse' in answer for a posed hypothesis?

Unless it was a poor excuse for a hypothesis, which is quite possible. ;)

Return to CyclingForum Home Page CYCLING TECH TALK FORUM
           View New Threads Since My Last Visit VIEW THREADS SINCE MY LAST VISIT
           Start a New Thread

Last Thread | Next Thread  >  

If you enjoy this site, please consider pledging your support

cyclingforum.com - where cyclists talk tech
Cycling TTF Rides Throughout The World

Cyclingforum is powered by SYNCRONICITY.NET in Denver, Colorado -