CYCLINGFORUM.COM - Where Cyclists Talk Tech --- Return To Home

Register FAQ'sSearchProfileLog In / Log Out

cyclingforum.com ****

HOMECLUBS | SPONSORS | FEATURESPHOTO GALLERYTTF DONORS | SHOP FOR GEAR

Return to CyclingForum Home Page CYCLING TECH TALK FORUM
          View posts since last visit

Our CRV changed it's mind on fuel consumption suddenly.

Author Thread Post new topic Reply to topic
Sparky

5/21/19 8:31 PM

Our CRV changed it's mind on fuel consumption suddenly.

It has been not so good since winter. 26.1-26.5 MPG, stuck there for past 3-4 months approx.

Last fill up 5/8, two days errands, then we left for CA early 5/11 morning with a ride to PDX. Left CRV sitting in the driveway.

Get home 18th, go to store, top off same gas station & park it. First use after top off this am. The car immediately starts the avg MPG climbing. In 5 mile hits 27.4 MPG, and keeps going up. I hit the driveway @ 30.8, ODO reset on the fill up prior to leaving. So in 113 miles I am @ 30.8.

WTF? Not that I am complaining..

Reply to topic     Send e-mail

dfcas

5/22/19 1:21 PM

Has anybody tried ethanol free gas in their car to see if it is worth the premium price over whats generally available? I use it in my power equipment but here its about a dollar extra per gallon. I only use 3 gallons a year:)

Sparky

5/22/19 1:58 PM

I did in TN before coming here. But in OR only Premium is available with no booze and it is way high$$.

In TN when gas was just over 2.00 the reg no booze gas was .18 more. The V6 99 Buick got just shy of 3 MPG better. Our cars today are made for this swill at the pumps, not sure how that plays into the equation. But I figured it was actually a touch cheaper then. Now, not even close.

I also had a flex fuel Sonoma GMC PU. The more booze in the gas the better it ran. It always got much lower MPG on booze. But is was cheaper than gas for a while. Did not save money then, but the PU ran a lot better. Then the E85 went like .60 gal up past the regular, or approx .40 over no booze reg. So we used E1o in the PU and the buick lived on the non booze reg and got just over 30 MPG usually. 30.4 was typical, 274 on bozzed regular. Lot of 'non' stop and go trips living 20 mile west of NashVegas...

Matthew Currie

5/24/19 9:14 PM

Here in Vermont I think they blend the fuel a little differently in winter, and mileage often goes down. It takes a while for stocks to change, and then we usually get better mileage in summer.

Reply to topic    

Sparky

5/24/19 9:29 PM

It hit 31 and is sitting at 30.4 with short type trips. Store, 15 mile round trips to ride the bike start points...

I think the supposition that all the winter nix refined fuel have cleared the storage tanks has merit.

walter

5/26/19 5:14 PM

same in OH and MI -- i imagine all of the states that experience a proper winter do likewise.

quote:
Here in Vermont I think they blend the fuel a little differently in winter, and mileage often goes down. It takes a while for stocks to change, and then we usually get better mileage in summer.

dddd

5/27/19 7:45 PM

It's normal to get lower mileage in winter, if only because of the longer running time on a cold engine and transaxle.

The two mechanical things that I've seen ruin my gas mileage were
1) a faulty thermostat in my Isuzu p/u and
2) a vacuum-retard valve in my VW Rabbit that someone at the dealership attempted to "repair" but didn't understand what they were doing (that resulted in the ignition timing being off while driving, which had a severely deleterious effect on the HP and the MPG.

One more thing about winter driving is that the tires become stiffer, and the air pressure often drifts low in the winter unless there is an electronic reminder.

Here in California it is during the summer months that oxygenates (such as alcohol) in the fuel are increased in order to cut smog.

Reply to topic    

Brian Nystrom

5/28/19 5:30 AM

In winter, you also have denser air that increases drag, but has the somewhat offsetting effect of increasing engine horsepower.

Reply to topic    

Sparky

5/28/19 12:53 PM

It wasn't winter when I left for airport for CA 5/11 getting 26.4 MPG.

dddd

5/28/19 6:09 PM

Yabbut everybody does 85 on the I-5.

Reply to topic    

daddy-o

5/29/19 4:51 PM

Ironic that karma is last word

Return to CyclingForum Home Page CYCLING TECH TALK FORUM
           View New Threads Since My Last Visit VIEW THREADS SINCE MY LAST VISIT
           Start a New Thread

Last Thread | Next Thread  >  

If you enjoy this site, please consider pledging your support

cyclingforum.com - where cyclists talk tech
Cycling TTF Rides Throughout The World

Cyclingforum is powered by SYNCRONICITY.NET in Denver, Colorado -