HOMECLUBS | SPONSORS | FEATURESPHOTO GALLERYTTF DONORS | SHOP FOR GEAR

Return to CyclingForum Home Page CYCLING TECH TALK FORUM
          View posts since last visit

Campy 12 speed EPS: Only $4300

Author Thread Post new topic Reply to topic
dfcas

3/14/19 9:35 AM

Campy 12 speed EPS: Only $4300

If you want disc brakes you'll have to pay extra. Wonder if this would hold up in WV muddy cyclocross?

https://cyclingtips.com/2019/03/campagnolo-super-record-eps-12-speed-first-ride-review/

Reply to topic     Send e-mail

Sparky

3/14/19 9:58 AM

Considering the Record Disc group cost slightly less than the Super Record non-disc, EPS disc should be more as well.

Record 12s disc groupo is like $600.00 more than caliper @ Merlincycles UK. Record 12s is only $400.00ish more than the Chorus Ho/11s, $1419.00 VS $992.00.

https://merlincycles-img.s3-eu-west-1.amazonaws.com/productImage_150_150_ffffff_image-jpeg/41082_campagnolo_record_12_speed_groupset.jpg

$992 for a new 11s Chorus seems pretty attractive. I just can't get used to the 4 arm chainsets when the 5 arm is so pretty,...

And $1419.00 actually includes a SR cassette. I don't think they [yet] make 12s cassette lower than SR. Else you'll probably see a lesser cassette in the SR/R groups. Example is the 11s Record groupo that has a Potenza cassette for the $1380.00 groupo price @ Merlin.

This talk is exactly like when I went 9s D/A to 10S D/A 100 years ago. 11 was just coming out. ;)

This is my first season of just getting 11s Chorus and SR on some bikes weening off Shimano. 12s not in my plans anytime soon...

dfcas

3/14/19 10:02 AM

If they trickle down 12 to Chorus and have a 12-27 or 12-29 cassette I'm in with a non disc group. May even do the cranks. Will probably need a $300 chain tool tho.

Brian Nystrom

3/14/19 11:45 AM

Yeah, I feel pretty much the same way, but I'd really like to see either a 13t top gear cassette or a 46t big ring option. Other companies like KMC and Wipperman will undoubtedly be making compatible chains, so I'm not worried about having to buy a hyper-expensive chain tool.

Reply to topic    

dan emery

3/14/19 12:05 PM

Hmmm

I could get a nice new NDK kayak for about that....:)

Actually I got no need for anything beyond mechanical Chorus 11 (or even 10).

Reply to topic    

Sparky

3/14/19 3:51 PM

Does KMC do a 12s campy link yet? I have new 11s ones in my parts bins. Says Campy/Shimano on the packaging.

Do you veteran campy folk shun the quick links with campy chains? These last SR bike are the first actual campy 11s chains in my 11s mix.

The first used Campy 11s group [Chorus] group I got last year has a YBN [Ti-Nitride Black] chain. The chain and cassette had just been replaced as well. It also had a quick link, I used a new KMC link IIRC. It shifts perfectly with a Campy or Shimano wheel/cassette.

Being new to the Campy [since Record 9s in 1999 briefly], like to hear what all folks here are doing chain wise with 11s Campy. I know there was some Miche cassette linking going on, assume not all Campy chains are going on with service/refreshes?

Being I now have two 12-29 SR Cassettes with 6 Ti cogs I am thinking how to get them to be around longest.

Brian Nystrom

3/14/19 3:59 PM

We use KMC chains and their connecting links, pretty much exclusively. I can get them at much better prices than Campy chains, they shift great and last a long time.

Reply to topic    

dfcas

3/14/19 6:51 PM

"Being I now have two 12-29 SR Cassettes with 6 Ti cogs I am thinking how to get them to be around longest."

Probably the best way to insure they last a while is to not ride them:) I would seriously consider selling them for enough to buy a Chorus or other all steel cassette and get the longest life. Fru fru cassettes are not for me.

Brian Nystrom

3/15/19 8:31 AM

They actually hold up pretty well. I've had several that I bought at deep discounts and currently have them on both of my road bikes. I did have a Ti cog or two wear out before the steel cogs on one of the first ones I owned. I haven't worn out any since then.

Getting back to the original topic, it appears that Campy is only going to make 12-speed EPS in Super Record. That's the perfect reason to stick with mechanical 12-speed.

Reply to topic    

KerryIrons

3/15/19 8:39 AM

Quick links

quote:
We use KMC chains and their connecting links, pretty much exclusively. I can get them at much better prices than Campy chains, they shift great and last a long time.

I use quick links w/Campy 11s chains and they work fine. No need for any chain tool more "sophisticated" than my old Cyclo. It can pop out links to shorten the chain to the right length and that's all I need.

Reply to topic    

April

3/15/19 8:55 AM

"I could get a nice new NDK kayak for about that....:)

Actually I got no need for anything beyond mechanical Chorus 11 (or even 10)."

And I'm still riding 9 speed...

Sparky

3/15/19 9:26 AM

My Steel 90s Stumpjumper is 8 Speed XT Rapid Fire. The Old Gary disc 29er with 650b 9 speed Rapid Fire, also XT. No plans to change that. Both old school 22/32/42 chainsets and long cage rear DR. Until one stops working...

2015 Strong green disc is 10x3 with bar cons and staying that way. The 22 tooth granny may not get much use, but when loaded and up hills, then it do. ;) Even the Conquest disc is Di2 10 speed. The 11 speed Di2 Addict is gone finally.

I like the 11s for the closer ratios for riding with groups, which I don,t really do anymore. So if not for all this Campy of late, I'd have no 11s.

But above # of gears, the shape of the 11s Ergos really is a plus for hand comfort as I said. The 9-10s Ergo as with the 9s Dura Ace are to small for my huge mitts to be comfortable.

Two bikes here are Nashbar Microshift 10s, Elaine's Madone is 9S MicroShift, My Madone 10s. These are also very 'hand' comfortable, light, and no brake lever swing to shift. Have/grabbed an extra pair of 10s [on the shelf] for $69.00 before they became extinct in fact. ;) The Microshift also handle a late loaded downshift better than any STi type shifter I have ever used. Like rapid rise almost. Elaine wait's too long to down gear, and these help her tremendously.

Oh, and we got another tandem after selling the IBIS. 1300.00 less coin, and... 8 speed Campy. ;)

EDIT: A few SS and a 2 speed as well. ;)

dfcas

3/15/19 10:06 AM

I've had an XTR cassette cog fold over and I had a Dura Ace 9 speed cassette that wore out prtty quick, so I swore off the high end cassettes. I've had great service from XT , Ultegra, and Campy Chorus level stuff, so I just buy basic steel cassettes.

Sparky

3/15/19 10:16 AM

I have two 11-30 pretty cheap 11s Ultegra on the Campy bikes. But I do have a few Campy freehub wheels. The old Nago has a 12-27 Chorus and 39/52 front, so that is a non hill bike. ;) Twenty years ago it would have been, never mind that though...

Not using the SR 12-29s, and in fact may well put them on eBay. Just get a 12-29 Chours as suggested. My fat rim/tire wheels are the Shimano with the 11-30s.

Short cage Super Record does the 30t fine. The Chorus 11s does a 32t, and the DR hanger is shorter on that frame, go figure.

I pretty much got the SR cassette for low cents on the dollar on these two parts bikes as new cond. [Helix and BMX] Once those frames are liquidated if I was to wear thru one of them, it would not be like I paid +350.00 for them each.

I will note the eBay sold auctions prices on low use 'used' SR cassettes is not very encouraging, then there is the eBay and Pay Pal Fees frankly. Looks like 150-160 would be a high net to sell then there...

dfcas

3/15/19 1:11 PM

I would consider it a win if you get close to enough to get a Chorus.

Sparky

3/15/19 1:58 PM

"consider it a win if you get close to enough to get a Chorus"

hmmm....

Being the 11s Ultegra shifts perfect on the Campy bikes. Likely I will just use Shimano hub/wheel and one of my ample supply of Ultegra Cassettes. I got a few extra when I posted that under 50.00 price semi recently in a heads up thread. Not nuts about an 11t, but for 48.00 each and 34/50 or my 46 top chainrings bike the 11t is OK [relatively.]

Riding alone mostly, or with friends [that are not nuts] that I only ride on easy days, missing the 16 is not an issue.

I do like having as many 1 tooth jumps as possible when riding with the maniacs. My Juniors Ultegra 11 speed is my fav for that [memory serves]. 14-28 eight single tooth jumps, two double tooth jumps, one three tooth jump up to the 28. Just only use it on a 36/52 or 39/52-3 chainset. Or with the Rotor Oval chainset 36/53, the 53 acting a 58 IIRC in the power stroke range of rotation.

Still use 10 speed bikes with 11s chain and 11-28/30/32/34 11s cassette with the 11s not in use. So 12-what ever top cog one of those has.

The 11-34 works on a 10s max freehub due to spider carrier being concave and non wide body required, with the 34t being so big. HG800-11 cassette is what I refer to there...

Nick Payne

3/15/19 7:32 PM

quote:
I have two 11-30 pretty cheap 11s Ultegra on the Campy bikes. But I do have a few Campy freehub wheels.

I have a couple of almost 20-year-old 32-spoke rear wheels using Campagnolo Record hubs that I used to race on. Once I stopped using them for racing, I converted both rear wheels by fitting the Campagnolo Shimano-compatible freehubs to them. I figured that by the time I'd used a couple of cassettes on each hub, I would more than have made up the cost of the freehub body by what I was saving by buying Shimano/Sram/Sunrace cassettes instead of the more expensive Campag cassettes, plus I could also use wider range cassettes than Campag provided at the time.

At the time I bought them, the conversion freehub available was only 8/9/10 speed compatible (part number WH-KX890), but Campag now also make one to take 11-speed Shimano road cassettes (part number FH-BUU015X1). However, as I can fit an 11-speed 11-34 cassette on the 10s freehub body, I haven't bothered to get the newer freehub.

Reply to topic    

PLee

3/22/19 1:30 PM

I think I just found my retirement present to myself.

Reply to topic    

Sparky

3/22/19 4:42 PM

"I think I just found my retirement present to myself."

Pray tell? The 14-28, or the 8/9/10 free hub friendly 11-34 11 speed cassette? Which I think is like twice the weight of the 12-29 SR cassette. ;)

You mean the 12 speed I am guessing...

Return to CyclingForum Home Page CYCLING TECH TALK FORUM
           View New Threads Since My Last Visit VIEW THREADS SINCE MY LAST VISIT
           Start a New Thread

Last Thread | Next Thread  >  

If you enjoy this site, please consider pledging your support

cyclingforum.com - where cyclists talk tech
Cycling TTF Rides Throughout The World

Cyclingforum is powered by SYNCRONICITY.NET in Denver, Colorado -