Reply to topic     Send e-mail

sanrensho

12/19/18 2:26 PM

Can you elaborate?

Reply to topic    

Sparky

12/19/18 2:47 PM

Note ;) face.

But being you ask, since 12/14/18 4:15 PM only one person has posted, and those posts are superfluous at that. I outta know, they are my posts. ;) [Note smiley again]

Anyone getting gear for the holidays? Or justifying getting gear at present time?

henoch

12/19/18 3:42 PM

Funny, I was thinking of posting this exact thing this morning

Reply to topic    

Brian Nystrom

12/19/18 3:50 PM

It has been rather quiet around here lately.

I've only managed a couple of road rides and a couple of fat bike rides recently. It looks like tomorrow may be warm and calm enough to hit the road for a while at lunchtime. Afterward the bike goes back on the trainer, which is ready and waiting, I just need to get my lazy a$$ on it.

As for new gear, there's nothing I actually need and I'm being conservative with my cash, since my contract at work is winding down and I've also had to cut my hours back to deal with some elder care issues (no, not me!).

Reply to topic    

dan emery

12/20/18 5:59 AM

Not much riding here

Usually I've ridden through the winter, but this year not so much. Not.looking to break any more bones (though I've never hurt myself riding in the winter). A little commuting on decent days, some trainer, not much.

But generally I'm feeling good.

Reply to topic    

April

12/20/18 6:37 AM

It’s skiing season anyway. ;)

Brian Nystrom

12/20/18 6:51 AM

Despite living in NH, I've never had any interest in downhill skiing. I enjoy XC skiing, but I don't think there's any ski-able snow within a 2 hour drive of here at the moment. If the roads and ground are dry, I'd rather ride. If it's above 40 and not too windy, I'll hit the road. If it's colder or blustery, I'll take the gravel, fat or mountain bike into the local woods. If it's raining, I've got the trainer.

This winter, I'm making an effort to maintain some fitness and strength. I didn't last winter and I paid for it dearly this past riding season.

Reply to topic    

Brian Nystrom

12/21/18 5:25 AM

I got in a nice little ride yesterday at lunch. It was only 20 miles, but it was calm, sunny and in the low 40's, too nice to pass up. I've got my clothing for various temps pretty much dialed in now and was quite comfortable tooling around in the chill air.

BTW, I recently got some new road shoes - Lake CX241 - and I'm seriously impressed with them. I have wide feet with narrow heels (yeah, like a duck) and have always had a hard time finding comfortable cycling shoes. After being pretty happy with other Lake shoes, I did some research on their various lasts and as it turns out, the "Competition" last used in the 241 is shaped more like my feet. They also provide actual measurements for all sizes and lasts, so you can compare tracings of your feet to them to get an accurate fit. I didn't even have to go with their wide option to get a near-perfect fit. The heels are heat-moldable and I could probably get a perfect fit by molding them, but I haven't bothered to do so yet.

They were very comfortable right out of the box and were broken in as much as necessary after a couple of rides. Even the somewhat skimpy-looking insoles work quite well. The uppers are an interesting combination of a perforated foam and mesh inner liner, with fabric-backed, perforated leather panels that over-wrap the liner and provide the closure system. There are openings in the leather at common pressure points, such as the base of the large and small toes, which is absolutely brilliant.

This construction allows the shoe to mold to your foot readily and hold it securely without having to be overly tight. It’s also quite airy and cool, although I did have to make one minor modification to improve airflow. The fabric on the inside of the leather panels was not perforated, so I poked an awl through the holes in the leather to open holes in the fabric.

An interesting by-product of this multi-layer, perforated foam-liner construction is that once you put covers over the shoes, they trap air really well and are actually quite warm. It also allows the shoes to expand to accommodate thicker socks without creating any blood flow restrictions or tight spots. My feet have been perfectly comfortable down to 40 degrees F with shoe covers and medium weight wool socks and I haven’t used my winter shoes yet (which are also Lakes).

I think I may have finally found the ideal pair of cycling shoes and my feet are loving it!

Reply to topic    

Sparky

12/21/18 10:35 AM

Having similar 'fitting issues' problem feet, I can totally appreciate your glee. ;)

Been a Lake user/fan since the 90s. My sneakers I wear daily are 4E width. Even Sidi know for making some good toe box generous offering not as good as Lake for me.

My fav MTN and road shoes are Lake, although I also have a Specialized pair that are a very close second.

I also have Scott MTN shoes, my last shoe buy that fit super well, and are super light. The Lakes I was using previously, well let me put it this way: I shoulda paid more attention to the weight before buying, OMG. But they fit great.

Brian Nystrom

12/21/18 12:48 PM

My feet are only E width, but that's too wide for most "normal" width shoes, which are typically designed to accommodate D width feet. Lake's various lasts (Race, Competition, Sport and Winter) differ in both their toe and heel widths, and the relationship between them. By checking out the descriptions, you can get an idea what's likely to fit. Checking the sizing charts, you can determine the size you need based on both length and width. I agonized over this before plunking down my credit card, but the results were everything I could have asked for.

My other Lake road shoes - CX145 and CX331 - are built on the Sport and Race lasts respectively. That requires me to move up to a wide, which compromises the fit somewhat.

My winter MTB shoes (more like boots, actually) are the MX303 built on their Winter last, also in wide, but they fit quite well with heavy wool socks, liner socks and vapor barriers and are very warm. In this case, the extra width is beneficial.

I wish I had known about these different last options years ago, as I would have probably had much more comfortable feet.

Reply to topic    

Sparky

12/21/18 4:24 PM

Yeah, shoes and shorts are worth the spend I have found.

Brian Nystrom

12/21/18 6:31 PM

Yeah, Castelli has gotten a lot of my cash, too.

Reply to topic    

KerryIrons

12/23/18 2:39 PM

Wide load

quote:
My sneakers I wear daily are 4E width

Square feet?

Reply to topic    

Sparky

12/23/18 3:35 PM

Apparently...

Steve B.

1/6/19 7:24 PM

The comments about Lake and wide feet had me research their winter shoes/boots.

I’ve had cold feet from winter rides going back 20 years or so. Larger shoes, heavy wool and really large Performance neoprene booties over my mt. shoes just wasn’t cutting it. My feet would get cold and then stay cold all damned day.

After some hesitation as they are NOT cheap at around $225, I ordered a pair of the MXZ303 winter SPD shoes, really boots. I paid attention to internet wisdom and ordered a size large in 47 and in the wide version. I normally wear a 46 wide Shimano summer weight shoe.

Wore them on a road ride this AM, it was 39 as the high during the ride, W wind at 15, damp and drizzly (which made it seem colder) and for the first time I can recall my feet stayed warm. Voila !

I should state that wide in a Lake is not the same wide in a New Balance, where I wear a 4E. Not much different than the wide Shimanos XC-7 shoes I use, but tolerable with a light Merino sock. They have a high boot ankle top, but I did not find them annoying. They were pretty much instantly comfortable on the 1-1/2 hrs we were riding. I suspect as well that after some break in period (they are treated leather), I might fit with a heavier wool sock. In theory these are good well below freezing, not sure I am, at least on the road, but they should do well for the mt. bike rides.

Reply to topic    

Sparky

1/6/19 7:29 PM

"They have a high boot ankle top, but I did not find them annoying."

I have wondered how the 'ankling peddlers?' among us fair with the high tops.

Steve B.

1/6/19 8:23 PM

I didn’t find the high top design annoying or even noticible. No worse than a pair or neoprene booties, despite the design with a Fastek buckle that cinches tight.

One thing about keeping feet warm I read is the ankles need to be covered due to the fact that the major veins and arteries getting blood to and from the foot are very near the surface, thus are exposed to the cold. Seems to be why pretty much every winter boot/shoe I looked at - Lake, Northwave, LG, Specialized, 45NRTH, Giro, Mavic and and Shimano has there designs with a high top. Only the Shimano R/MW5 is a lower cut and not, as far as I can tell, designed for really cold temps.

Reply to topic    

Brian Nystrom

1/7/19 8:00 AM

I've got the 303s as well (in wide) and I agree that the tall ankle is not an issue at all. I bought my normal size, as the 303s are already sized to accommodate heavy socks. I don't generally wear them unless the temp is well below 40 degrees F. I've used them in temps as cold as 10 degrees and been OK, but it requires some special prep. I wear thin wool liner socks and cover them with vapor barriers (the thin plastic bags that newspapers are delivered in), then cover those with heavy wool insulating socks. My feet sweat quite a bit and the key to staying warm is to keep my insulation dry, which is what the vapor barriers do. This system works really well.

Reply to topic    

Sparky

1/7/19 10:45 AM

What temps you seeing these days in NH?

dfcas

1/8/19 7:55 AM

I also have a pair of 47 wide Lake Boots that are wonderful. I have not worn them since I got my smart trainer tho as I have become a wimp.

Brian Nystrom

1/9/19 12:45 PM

Sparky, it's been pretty much between 30 and 40 for daytime highs, but in typical New England fashion, it's not consistent at all. We've had some days a bit colder and some a bit warmer. Lately, we've been getting a bit of light snow, but it melts off the roads immediately. It's been an odd winter so far, in that we had snow twice in November, nothing to speak of in December and it's been pretty warm for January so far.

Reply to topic    

Sparky

1/9/19 4:05 PM

Supposed to be 57^ here tomorrow, and partly sunny. Which means you may or may not see blue, and likely won't see the sun. ;) But 1/2 the wind tomorrow as today forecast.

Got on the trainer yesterday, and after 8 minutes just said fuck it. How is that for discipline. ;O Some times I just am not into it. But not for lack of attempt.

Better than misty rain and mid-upper 40s today. I call it refrigerator temps, especially when the winds are not single digits. ;)

Return to CyclingForum Home Page CYCLING TECH TALK FORUM
           View New Threads Since My Last Visit VIEW THREADS SINCE MY LAST VISIT
           Start a New Thread

Last Thread | Next Thread  >  

If you enjoy this site, please consider pledging your support

cyclingforum.com - where cyclists talk tech
Cycling TTF Rides Throughout The World

Cyclingforum is powered by SYNCRONICITY.NET in Denver, Colorado -