HOMECLUBS | SPONSORS | FEATURESPHOTO GALLERYTTF DONORS | SHOP FOR GEAR

Return to CyclingForum Home Page CYCLING TECH TALK FORUM
          View posts since last visit

Cardio update
 Goto page Previous  1, 2

Author Thread Post new topic Reply to topic
Sparky

12/13/18 7:48 AM

Let me put it this way, I bought the Zero Salt substitute yesterday. ;) The Salt Lite has too much Sodium in it. ;)

Two questions that are floating in my mind. Is the dilation of the aorta from thousands of full on sprints, and if I was not a cyclist for these decades how much more of a mess I might be now health wise. ;)

I jest on the first one [I think], the second one has me picturing me like Jabba the Hut if I was less physical all these years.

Life goes on...

Reply to topic     Send e-mail

KerryIrons

12/13/18 9:21 AM

Salt

quote:
I bought the Zero Salt substitute yesterday. ;) The Salt Lite has too much Sodium in it. ;)

Be aware that only some of the population (around 25%) is salt sensitive when it comes to blood pressure. There's an old study of a remote Japanese fishing village where the diet was essentially salted fish. Good health and low BP among the villagers. See what effect the salt has on you before you commit to a salt-free lifestyle. My brother in law has borderline high BP and tried the super low sodium route to essentially no effect. He's otherwise very healthy with good diet and lots of exercise so he said "F it" and went back to a regular (healthy) diet.

Reply to topic    

Sparky

12/13/18 9:43 AM

May not matter so much if the Beta Blocker is in charge in the BP dept anyway. I like the thought of not giving up my French Grey Sea Salt anyway... ;)

FWIW, last week before the visit and beta blocker prescription, had two low salt days, like crazy low. The BO was lower, but not enough. Already day two of the Beta Blocker it is 12#/7#.

BP used to mostly be like 13#/higher 8#. Always got told borderline, but they figure your higher due to stress of visit. I think it was the BP number when my HR hit 184 during the stress test that partially precipitated the ultrasound/sonic imaging of the flow/valve function. And this is when the dilated aortic root got seen.

FWIW, I know several men [relatives and friends] my age or above with the same thing going on. But now instead of just saying borderline, they want to lower the probability of further dilation. With 60 years of pumping can you still expect to have a perfect heart? My actual efficiency is well above average for age.

So like Dan, down the road lets hope the yearly echos don't see further dilation. And as Dan, I feel the same way I did before all this FWIW. They did limit my lifting to 100 lb. I was done lifting near that years back, 'back' being the key term there.... I avoid 60lb or more these days.

dan emery

12/14/18 3:27 PM

Aneurysm/Dilation

An aneurysm per se doesn't affect the efficiency of your heart.

The problem with an aneurysm is that it may dissect or rupture. High blood pressure increases the chance of that. Before an "event," there typically are no symptoms.

I'm not sure bp of 184 during strenuous exercise is abnormal. I've read that during heavy lifting where you grunt (Valsalva maneuver) your bp can triple.

Reply to topic    

Sparky

12/14/18 3:55 PM

"bp of 184 during strenuous exercise is abnormal"

I said [meant to say] what the BP hit when my HR was 184 on the tread mill. I did not say what that was, only I wish it was only 184...

Got sent for another echo-cardiograph test yesterday. She wanted to see if my sub-clavian artery was being impeded by the big clump middle section of displaced healed clavicle that was never reduced. It isn't...

This is fun...

daddy-o

12/14/18 6:15 PM

That dang valsalva maneuver, since you brought it up way back when I've been conscious of it.

This showed up in Firefox `Pocket` the other day:

"exercise-wins-fit-seniors-can-have-hearts-that-look-30-years-younger"

https://www.npr.org/sections/health-shots/2018/12/10/674380082/exercise-wins-fit-seniors-can-have-hearts-that-look-30-years-younger

Sparky

12/14/18 8:14 PM

My heart functionally, and efficiency I was told is that of a much younger person on average. The dilation that has begun of the aortic root is another story.

Return to CyclingForum Home Page CYCLING TECH TALK FORUM
           View New Threads Since My Last Visit VIEW THREADS SINCE MY LAST VISIT
           Start a New Thread

Goto page Previous  1, 2  
Last Thread | Next Thread  >  

If you enjoy this site, please consider pledging your support

cyclingforum.com - where cyclists talk tech
Cycling TTF Rides Throughout The World

Cyclingforum is powered by SYNCRONICITY.NET in Denver, Colorado -