HOMECLUBS | SPONSORS | FEATURESPHOTO GALLERYTTF DONORS | SHOP FOR GEAR

Return to CyclingForum Home Page CYCLING TECH TALK FORUM
          View posts since last visit

Warped rim sidewall?
 Goto page Previous  1, 2

Author Thread Post new topic Reply to topic
Jesus Saves

9/9/18 7:29 AM

No, I do not live under a rock and am not a malapert, either. Obviously I have never seen a dimpled rim before and would never expect such for the reason April stated.

Evidently, there is a patent for such.
https://patents.google.com/patent/US7114785B2/en

But heck, I must be an idiot. Me and many others, including you. Who in their right mind would ride a vehicle that applies friction and wear to a surface that also serves the purpose of being a suppprt structure?

With such an unwelcoming and strong response exemplified, living under a rock might appeal to you.

https://memegenerator.net/img/instances/61183694/who-are-you-people.jpg

Reply to topic    

Sparky

9/9/18 9:39 AM

That was a soft ball [brian's remark] ;)

"Obviously I have never seen a dimpled rim before"

I was just going to post a pic of a Zipp rim with golf ball dimples after I read the post. I didn't bother, but I have to say asking if you lived under basalt did not occur to me.

Even though basalt is epoxied to the brake surface of the dimpled carbon rims, so I had two tie ins to a smart ass remark. More tech some here may or may not be aware of...

But I admit the post surprised me on a bike forum. I thought we all knew of the expensive wheel tech and lusted for the extra 2.5 seconds we could gain going up a few mile climb. ;)

Reply to topic     Send e-mail

Jesus Saves

9/9/18 11:26 AM

https://memegenerator.net/img/instances/62930276/ok-i-got-it.jpg

Reply to topic    

daddy-o

9/10/18 1:25 PM

Bring back political threads.

The woman has a legitimate issue and the best you can come up with is "the water's cold" "And deep too."

By the way, that's the punch line of one of the oldest jokes in human history.

Jesus Saves

9/10/18 2:49 PM

Hmmm...Who's the punchline?

"The woman has a legitimate issue and ..."

... it was fully addressed and to her satisfaction, when April's last response was, "Thanks for you all for chiming in with suggestions. Now I know what to look for if the same ever happens again."

https://0010020.expert.services/images/punchline.png

Reply to topic    

April

9/10/18 8:38 PM

This may used to be a bike forum. But how many remembers that?

And frankly, new comers treat this no different than Trump uses Twitter: tweet first, and retract as fast as their first tweet. (Ok, not ALL new members) How to attract new members? Convert to Twitter and re-tweet as many empty thoughts as their fingers can manage!

Jesus Saves

9/11/18 8:37 AM

I wont accuse you of living under a rock, April - that certainly will not help attract new members or for that matter foster new discussion, but there has not been any new members here for years because the forum software had a quirk that prevented new users from signing up. It was discussed on this forum recently, at length, and the admin fixed the technical problem.

Insinuating I respond like Trump is unwelcoming, too, and quite repugnant - coming from someone who is guilty of starting many non cycling threads and even drifting off the topic in this thread that you started. It is also quite insincere.

Much more so when you consider I responded with several posts in this very thread about a bicycle topic, with a helpful response. In fact, there was a consensus of replies including that of the person whom accused me of living under a rock - all with a collective response that you benefited from.

Sparky's reply was spot on. However, BN to assume everyone here is intimately familiar with $5,000+ wheelsets is a bit folly. Much like your "critical reasoning", his is a bit anachronous expectation given his luddite tendencies to be critical of new bike tech gear.

Reply to topic    

Sparky

9/11/18 9:52 AM

"to assume everyone here is intimately familiar with $5,000+ wheelsets is a bit folly."

It is, and I confess to wondering if you were kidding or just not had the experience of of zoot bike crap cool aide consumption.

Also confess it is a little arrogant to assume all here know, or care or even lust after zoot bike ware. ;)

April

9/11/18 10:31 AM

"intimately familiar" maybe a bit arrogant to assume. But I would crawl under a rock for a while if I missed the technology of a new $5000 wheelset AND had publicly admitted such.

Defending one's ignorance is ... ok I forgot the exact quote so won't confirm my ignorance (again).

At least that's what this forum USED TO be for. To discuss such bleeding edge technology (or bash the latest marketing gimmicks). Though since bike tech don't progress all that fast, we had to talk about other things most of the time.

Sparky

9/11/18 11:29 AM

"so won't confirm my ignorance"

'Ignorant' is simply not knowing. Unfortunately used as pejorative more often than not. One can not imagine knowledge they do not possess, simply put.

Last edited by Sparky on 9/11/18 11:58 AM; edited 1 time in total

April

9/11/18 11:53 AM

There's a difference between ignorant of one fact/knowledge, vs being in a state of ignorance with regard to a wide range of knowledge.

Particularly knowledge one is reasonably expected to NOT be ignorant of.

Jesus Saves

9/11/18 5:19 PM

Okay, this much is clear: April is ignorant of Zipp wheels, identifying damaged or worn rims, and how to build a wheelset. That plus, possessing the critical reasoning aptitude of a teenanger. Sorry, dear, I have better ways to spend my time than engaging with a misanthrope that writes with the utmost banality.

https://previews.123rf.com/images/ocipalla/ocipalla1009/ocipalla100900018/7883411-have-a-nice-day.jpg

Reply to topic    

Sparky

9/11/18 6:07 PM

"Sorry, dear, I have better ways to spend my time"

All evidence to the contrary. Please quit with the nonsense and image cluttering, especially with huge images.

Brian Nystrom

9/12/18 5:44 AM

"However, BN to assume everyone here is intimately familiar with $5,000+ wheelsets is a bit folly."

Exaggerating the price doesn't help your cause. Dimpled rims have been around for years at far lower price points. They're not exactly mainstream, but this is supposed to be a forum for cycling enthusiasts to "talk tech". It's reasonable to expect that the participants here would at least have a passing familiarity with the higher end of the bike market.

Reply to topic    

Jesus Saves

9/12/18 8:47 AM

Sorry, Brian, but what you makes you look like a snarky asshole. It does not excuse for what you had written. You are better than that. I'd rather be ignorant of that fact then exhibit the former off putting behavior.

What you and Sparky lack in awareness is that not everyone here shares the same enthusiasm for high end equipment and chi-chi equipment. Races, competition and touring events, clothing, tackling inclement weather are all other cycling related topics that are of more personal interest.

And sorry, high end or not, dimpled rims are UNcommon. (And surely more marketing hype as cosmetic touch than something that makes a measurable/significant difference).

In fact, in the **hundreds of thousands** of messages contained at this website, spanning well over a decade (maybe two) such topic was not introduced until by me in this thread.

Furthermore, I am asserting such as someone who is discerning enough about bike equipment, and in particular all things wheels, as to be one who has built (assemble) wheelsets and even teach others in person how to do such.

Your accomplice is also responsible for raising the temperature of this thread. Much like Sparky does not share the same enthusiasm or "ignorant" of pop-culture as evident by his comments about the pictures I posted. I don't ridicule him for it.

Sparky, if you do not like it, then go tell the admin to fix the software. Or better yet go run your own bicycle forum. I can qualify these comments by stating that I've in fact done both. Or even better better yet follow the words you imparted on others when they told you what to do here in the past.

Reply to topic    

dan emery

9/12/18 9:37 AM

Chill out needed

From my point of view Brian's and Sparky's comments were mildly snarky, and JS slightly overreacted, but everything within a reasonable margin of error. Nobody is perfect with posts, certainly including me.

Disclaimer: I am guilty of purchasing some high end equipment, bur I had never heard of dimpled rims. Merckx Division, baby!

Reply to topic    

Brian Nystrom

9/12/18 11:20 AM

Oh Jesus...

I don't own any high-end dimpled carbon rims, nor am I interested in buying any. However, information about them is everywhere in the cycling world; you don't have to be paying close attention to the market to encounter it. They're only "uncommon" in the sense that less expensive wheels are more common because more people can afford them. Plenty of manufacturers are making them and you can even get them relatively cheap from Chinese manufacturers.

FWIW, I've built/rebuilt somewhere in the vicinity of 1000 wheels, so your puffery about your wheel expertise doesn't impress me. If you're so into wheels - plus "Races, competition" - how could you not have heard about year's-long trend in the market (whether it particularly interests you or not)? In case you haven't heard, they're making rims WIDER these days...imagine that!?

If you want to get your panties all in a wad over a comment that was meant half in jest, so be it. I really don't care. To insinuate that Sparky and I colluded in some manner to insult you is just beyond stupid. You really need to grow a thicker skin.

Reply to topic    

Sparky

9/12/18 12:45 PM

I was shooting for politely snarky actually. ;)

I'll take the starting a new forum or bothering Anthony with nonsense suggestion under advisement. Oops, I think that may have been even a little more snarky. [he types attempting to interject jocularity]

"To insinuate that Sparky and I colluded..."

In any fashion I'd say, and I am alright with it, as is Brian I think. ;)

daddy-o

9/12/18 4:56 PM

I was going for obscure and apparently was the most successful.

dan emery

9/12/18 5:12 PM

Obscure Daddy

I heard that joke 50 years ago (literally, freshman in college) but let it go....

Reply to topic    

Sparky

9/12/18 5:59 PM

"going for obscure and apparently was the most successful."

'was' being the operative word? ;)

daddy-o

9/12/18 7:35 PM

Touché

Return to CyclingForum Home Page CYCLING TECH TALK FORUM
           View New Threads Since My Last Visit VIEW THREADS SINCE MY LAST VISIT
           Start a New Thread

Goto page Previous  1, 2  
Last Thread | Next Thread  >  

If you enjoy this site, please consider pledging your support

cyclingforum.com - where cyclists talk tech
Cycling TTF Rides Throughout The World

Cyclingforum is powered by SYNCRONICITY.NET in Denver, Colorado -