HOMECLUBS | SPONSORS | FEATURESPHOTO GALLERYTTF DONORS | SHOP FOR GEAR

Return to CyclingForum Home Page CYCLING TECH TALK FORUM
          View posts since last visit

Campy conversion

Author Thread Post new topic Reply to topic
sjm845

6/7/18 5:28 AM

Campy conversion

Hi...I have original first year campy 10 speed chorus. I'm in the que for a strong frame but in the mean time was looking to convert my old 53/39--11/26 to compact cranks/chain ring. Does anyone know which compact cranks will work with the old square taper bb? My 20 year old campy shifts better than my last 2 SRAM force 22 bikes. But I'm not 22 anymore and ride some hilly terrain. Any help would be appreciated.

Reply to topic    

Sparky

6/7/18 7:57 AM

I'd loose that BB, and get some 5 arm Ultra Torque Chorus
34/50. Made until 2014, then they went 4 arm. You will just need the UT cups, the bearing are on the crank spindle.

What do you have Carl doing for you? Are you havine the new frame threaded BSA BB?

I am probably the biggest Strong fan here. I am on my third, and still have the first one 18 years later.

You can also go PowerTorque. Merlincycles has 34/50 Centaur carbon PT for like 115.00. It is 640 grams with the bearings, add like 50 grams for the PT Cups.

https://www.merlincycles.com/campagnolo-centaur-carbon-ct-power-torque-chainset-10-speed-107687.html

Reply to topic     Send e-mail

Craig

6/7/18 9:14 AM

To your actual question, I think I'm remembering correctly when saying that the only Campagnolo cranks compatible with your BB is Chorus and Record, Chorus and Record used a 102mm BB while everything else used a 111 (or was it 110?). So if you really, really, really wanted to keep using your BB you'd have to find a first generation, square taper Chorus or Record cranks. I think they only came in carbon fiber, were only made for a very short time (one year) and had some issues with reliability. So buying used, 12 year old cranks in carbon might not be so smart...if you can even find them. I just looked at eBay and didn't find a single set of Chorus or Record cranks available in square taper and compact.

But,

Sparky is completely right here. It's time to switch cranks. I've recently put a Centaur UltraTorque 52/36 11speed crank on an otherwise Chorus 10spd bike with good results. The new stuff just runs straighter and stiffer, the external bb with UltraTorque being just plain "better" on a lot of fronts. I haven't used PowerTorque, but have had UltraTorque on one bike since its release and it's been good, creak free, and reliable. There were rumblings about PowerTorque not being as good, and it looks like Centaur at least has reverted to UltraTorque so there may be some acknowledgement of this at the manufacturer level.

Reply to topic    

Sparky

6/7/18 10:12 AM

My 85 Colnago is now Chorus 11s actually has a 105 5800 36/52 chainset, not to mention a non Campy rear wheel with a 11s Ultegra cassette. It shifts perfectly.

I only did this as a temp solution. The Chorus chainset I got with the groupo being a 34/50 on an 85 Nago was a problem. The braze on for the front DR is just to high for less than 52 teeth. I just grabbed what was loose as I wanted to get the bike rolling. I mention just so you know that it can/will work. While you maybe shop used market for a good used Campy chainset if ultimately matching is important. Probably will be on a new custom frame/bike.

I also have 11 speed chain and chainset on my Madone with 10 speed STIs. Any 11s cassette/wheel shifts perfect on this setup as well. It just does not hit the 11 cog, which I dislike anyway.

The Shimano 11s chainsets perform even better than the 10 speed Dura-Ace 7800 chainset that was my mainstay for a long long time. 10 speed, 11 speed, does not matter, cranks work and shift great.

One plus on the 2014 5 arm [110-BC Compact] Chorus Chainset is it is pretty light. About as light as anything. Wish I could say how it performs. But until I figure out how to get it ti work on the Old Nago...

sjm845

6/7/18 6:44 PM

Just turned my measurements into him and waiting to see what he comes up with. Getting a steel road bike that actually fits. Have been a fan of his work for a while and finally pulled the trigger. Very excited to see what he comes up with for my size. The bike I'm looking to convert was my last custom steel ride...small builder in Italy--Bellesi bikes. Custom 61x61 Columbus Foco frame. The original CXP-33 wheels are still true!
I'm still riding it today even though it's way too long. The campy chorus is still perfect. In at least 20-25K miles all I've done is replace the chain rings and some cables. I'll be getting new campy on the Strong.

Reply to topic    

Sparky

6/7/18 7:14 PM

That's a big bike. IMO, Carl's specialty. Foco is called Life now FYI. My 2000 made Foco has an OX_Plat MTB top tube and a pear shaped Mega Columbus tube from I don't recall what tubeset.

The 2015 Disc Monster CX is OX_Plat MTN top [1.250"] and Downtube [1.375] with Life tubeset otherwise.

Are you having him make you a nice matching steel fork?
Most road bikes I guess use carbon. My 2000 now has a steel fork, I had him make me an ELOS fork for my Merckx EX way back when. Steel disc matching fork on the Monster CX. Both my 84 Nago and 90s 753 OS also have steel forks. I guess I am converted...

sjm845

6/7/18 7:26 PM

Carbon disc fork...probably columbus or enve. I had an enve on my litespeed T5 I just sold. The head tube was too small to utilize the entire steer uncut. I was way past the factory tolerance and cheating death at 45+ mph downhills. I like the columbus model and will probably go with that.

My Foco down tube is so thin you can squeeze it...but still going strong. I'm amazed at how stiff the bb is for 20 years old. Where the bike has really aged is in the 1 inch head tube--all 9 plus inches of it. Even with a thomson stem it's a noodle. Riding it hard to today I have to say it accelerates much better than the 2014 ti bike with PF30 bb. Maybe it's mental?

Reply to topic    

sjm845

6/8/18 3:39 PM

Thanks for the advice and links. I went and ordered the entire centar 11 groupset. After 20 years it’s time. Lol. Hope the brakes are better. Merlin had the whole group for less than $500 shipped.

Reply to topic    

Sparky

6/8/18 4:07 PM

"After 20 years it’s time. "

You only got 20 years outta your Chorus groupo?? ;)

April

6/8/18 5:30 PM

I can't help but to get a chuckle out of the end result. It's just so... typical!

Ask question about a crank and you end up with a new groupo! :o)

Sparky

6/10/18 11:17 AM

How do the Campy folk feel about the new Centaur and Potenza ERGO not doing multiple up shifts, but rather like Shimano click click click...

I see these two ERGO have better access to the thumb level due to thumb tip being bigger and angled, but looses the multi up-shift of the other groups.

Also, question: Before the Chorus 11s I put on the Nago I had Mirage and before that Record. The down shift paddle on the 11s moves away from the brake lever. So you can pull it closer to the bars when in the drops for a lot better leverage. I don't recall the Record or Mirage doing that.

Is this something newer in design, or do I just not remember being it was so long ago. Seems like I'd recall that though....

dan emery

6/10/18 12:42 PM

Not big issues here

Well I wasn't aware of new Centaur, and never heard of Potenza, but regarding the multiple upshift, I started using eTap last year after years of ergo, and the absence of multiple upshifts has never occurred to me.

I have Chorus 11 speed from about 5 years ago, and I'd have to go out to the garage to see if it even has that pull away feature. Though I'm mostly on the hoods not the hooks.

Reply to topic    

Sparky

6/10/18 4:06 PM

I have a 14-28 close ratio cassette on the Chorus 11s Nago. The thumb multi up-shift is handy with so close ratio cogs. But IIRC, this is a sprinting design/intent.

I can tap the up-shift paddle quick enough I suppose. I would prefer not to loos that, but gaining much better up shift from the drops is not a bad trade off I suppose.

The bar cons can swipe the cassette in both directions from lowest to highest FWIW.

Return to CyclingForum Home Page CYCLING TECH TALK FORUM
           View New Threads Since My Last Visit VIEW THREADS SINCE MY LAST VISIT
           Start a New Thread

Last Thread | Next Thread  >  

If you enjoy this site, please consider pledging your support

cyclingforum.com - where cyclists talk tech
Cycling TTF Rides Throughout The World

Cyclingforum is powered by SYNCRONICITY.NET in Denver, Colorado -