HOMECLUBS | SPONSORS | FEATURESPHOTO GALLERYTTF DONORS | SHOP FOR GEAR

Return to CyclingForum Home Page CYCLING TECH TALK FORUM
          View posts since last visit

Who is still using Ad block/plus?

Author Thread Post new topic Reply to topic
Sparky

3/22/18 1:41 PM

Who is still using Ad block/plus?

I changed and wondering why I waited so long. It was once good, until it started to decide doubleclick was OK and useful not to block.

I should say, The links for the doubleclick shit in searches [all engines/all browsers] showed, but I had blocked via internal routing to not resolve.

Reply to topic     Send e-mail

walter

3/22/18 8:27 PM

me

whats yr new option?

Nick Payne

3/22/18 8:46 PM

I use uBlock Origin on both Firefox and Chrome.

Reply to topic    

Sparky

3/22/18 8:59 PM

uBlock

Matthew Currie

3/23/18 8:02 AM

I find Ublock works pretty well and it is quick and easy to disable selectively. That's handy these days as some web sites have started detecting ad blockers and making it difficult to navigate when it's turned on.

I've gotten lazy recently and haven't experimented with other ways of killing obtrusive ads. I used to try adding them to a hosts file, but that sometimes ended up hanging up the browser. Any new suggestions?

Reply to topic    

Jesus Saves

3/23/18 9:47 AM

I use Opera web browser = Google Chrome internals (blink<webkit<chromium) + built in/native ad blocking. It's look & feel is similar to Chrome and works quite well.

Reply to topic    

Brian Nystrom

3/23/18 10:17 AM

You can add me...

...as another Ublock Origin user. It seems to do a good job and it has a small footprint.

Reply to topic    

daddy-o

3/23/18 1:38 PM

Thanks for the Ublock Origin tip.

The Vivaldi browser is a good browser for the mix. Today Vivaldi announced a privacy commitment and partnership with the Duck Duck Go search engine.

Credentials might be available between multiple sessions of any one browser, but not different ones. With Chrome an incognito window still phones home to Google even if the session isn't saved locally. And multiple Chrome incognito browser windows are not isolated from each other. Firefox seems to separate them better. But there's nothing as good as a third or fourth browser, like Opera or Vivaldi.

--Demonstration of the utility of a third or fourth browser:
Today I had a strange login issue to my grocery store. I fat-fingered the routine and their server is prone to stumble anyway. As a result, even being really careful wouldn't log me on. So I opened Vivaldi and the process went through, first try, go figure.

Jesus Saves

3/23/18 1:54 PM

in-process or out of process design

"And multiple Chrome incognito browser windows are not isolated from each other"

Not sure what is meant by that. From what I know, each Chrome window operates in its own isolated process space. For instance, you will see as many "chrome.exe" processes as tabs/windows you have open when peeking at Windows task manager.
That is true whether it is in incognito mode or not. What this means to the lay person is that an errant website can cause one Chrome window to crash or hang but without taking down other open Chrome windows.

If it was a single process design like IE, Safari, or FireFox, one bad apple (website) would cause the entire web browser program to hang or crash. All of their browser tabs & windows are tied to a single exe, ie. firefox.exe, safari.exe, ie.exe, etc. At least that was how they were originally designed, and that is how Chrome differentiated itself from the pack when it was first released. I have not checked that closely recent versions if they adopted a one process per browser window or tab, but I do know to change course would require a significant overhaul/rewriting of computer code to change the web browser to such design.

Reply to topic    

daddy-o

3/23/18 3:21 PM

Some documentation:

Anecdotal comparison of credential sharing between Chrome Incognito sessions and Firefox Private sessions.

What I mean is credentials are shared between incognito sessions. I tested just now by opening a second incognito browser from the original Chrome non-incognito window. There was an existing incognito window open where I was logged into Gmail (logging in is initially not automatic, unlike the non-incognito browser.)

In the new incognito session all I had to do was open gmail and it used the same credentials as the incognito that has been open for days.

...logged onto the grocery store, went to the days-old incognito,... already logged on. (First time I've ever accessed the grocery store on Chrome, I can see the walking dead of Google climbing the building trying to get at me. #humor)

...still in 'days-old,' logged in to CyclingForum (HTTP!) ...went to new...composing this reply without explicitly logging on here.

Did something like that with Firefox just to make sure, credentials weren't shared, had to login every new stop.

As far as I can tell with Task Manager, right now Chrome, Firefox and Vivaldi are running ~2x as many instances as tabs are open.

Sorry guys, sometimes I write documentation.

Jesus Saves

3/24/18 5:58 AM

So you have gmail open in an incognito web browser, keep this window/tab open , while you open another incognito tab/window and then navigate to gmail, which you then access without logging in.

As someone who developed many websites, that is perfectly acceptable and understandable. Its two windows/tabs sharing a common website url, browser cookie ...basically it is the same session. That meets web standards. They are both in the same sandbox.

I do not use gmail, but I do use Microsoft Outlook web access and commonly have more than one wondow/tab open for my Outlook...ie calendar, inbox, notes, etc. If I had to login each time I wanted to keep/have open an area of Outlook, like calendar, i would be annoyed.

Reply to topic    

daddy-o

3/24/18 8:33 AM

It's nice to have choices.

How's Outlook web access working for you? I use gmail basically to capitulate to Google when I'm using their products. It's irritating how it (Google) follows you around. I have an OWA account, it's hard to avoid. But I only use it for sites that prefer those credentials. Have you tried the free online MS Office? That might put a dent in Google Docs.

Sparky

3/24/18 11:24 AM

Fwiw, I use gmail but not via the google interface. But rather via thunderbird/lightning. Goggle still parses what passes thru on the server of course.

Brian Nystrom

3/25/18 7:46 AM

T-bird here, too

I can't stand the Gmail interface; to me it's a train wreck.

T-bird allows me to manage multiple business and personal email accounts in one place.

Last edited by Brian Nystrom on 3/25/18 1:08 PM; edited 1 time in total

Reply to topic    

Jesus Saves

3/25/18 9:16 AM

I use Outlook web access for my work email. I mentioned that as an example, in lieu of gmail which I have not used, for the purpose of having multiple tabs or windows open for the same website that requires one to login. If I had to sign in for each tab or window, incognito mode or not, for the same website (session), that would be a PITA. Enough so to look elsewhere for another product or service.

As for email - I've registered my own personal domain. The advantage is that it is portable. If my service provider's service degrades, well than I can keep my email address, while switching to another provider. It is akin to keeping your cell phone # while switching providers.

Reply to topic    

daddy-o

3/25/18 2:14 PM

For the most part I use my own domain email address and Thunderbird too. Google is a tool. I use Lightning even though it's unstable. Do you ever get js errors with calendar reminders? I basically live with them because they always recover.

Sparky

3/25/18 4:35 PM

"Do you ever get js errors with calendar reminders?"

Never. What version? 5.4.6 here

daddy-o

3/25/18 9:13 PM

5.4.7 and Tbird is up to date, and jre too. Dangit.

sanrensho

3/26/18 1:19 AM

I stopped using Chrome and recently switched to Brave browser, which has native ad blocking. Loads faster because of it.

Reply to topic    

Return to CyclingForum Home Page CYCLING TECH TALK FORUM
           View New Threads Since My Last Visit VIEW THREADS SINCE MY LAST VISIT
           Start a New Thread

Last Thread | Next Thread  >  

If you enjoy this site, please consider pledging your support

cyclingforum.com - where cyclists talk tech
Cycling TTF Rides Throughout The World

Cyclingforum is powered by SYNCRONICITY.NET in Denver, Colorado -