HOMECLUBS | SPONSORS | FEATURESPHOTO GALLERYTTF DONORS | SHOP FOR GEAR

Return to CyclingForum Home Page CYCLING TECH TALK FORUM
          View posts since last visit

Anyone see or planning to see Dunkirk?

Author Thread Post new topic Reply to topic
Sparky

7/23/17 10:08 AM

Anyone see or planning to see Dunkirk?

Elaine and I went yesterday. I think she thought Dunkirk was in Scotland and not No France, and was hoping for some landscape as such. But curious as to what other may have though if them went to see it.

Reply to topic     Send e-mail

dfcas

7/23/17 6:31 PM

I saw it today. I was a little disappointed, I guess. I don't know what I was expecting, but I didn't think it was great.

Sparky

7/23/17 8:16 PM

Did you like how that Spitfire after running outta fuel stayed up going fast for 1/2 hour from about 1200ft max of altitude? ;)

I thought the production and cinematography was quite good. it never quite focused on any particular thing, but I kind of like the freelancing of that.

Craig

7/24/17 1:44 AM

The goddamned trailer nearly brought me to tears, fucking war. But I'm an avid fan of Vonnegut and his stories of surviving Dresden are gut wrenching, and it's just too easy to immerse yourself into the absurdity of war. I haven't seen Dunkirk yet but am going to see it over the next day or two. Here's all the endorsement you need:

http://globalnews.ca/news/3617564/calgary-veteran-who-survived-dunkirk-causes-a-stir-at-movie-premiere/

Reply to topic    

daddy-o

7/24/17 4:56 AM

Thanks for the link. Ninetyseven year old Ken Sturdy, Dickens couldn't have named him better. --Watch the clip too.

BTW: Following Craig's link also offered this nugget: Quick thinking drivers save cyclist from possible bear attack on B.C. highway.

daddy-o

7/24/17 5:57 PM

A fully loaded tourist climbing a grade unaware a skinny young grizzly is chasing him?

Jesus Saves

12/22/17 8:45 PM

I watched Darkest Hour today. Gary Oldman was quite good as Churchill. I liked it better than Dunkirk and actually learned more about Dunkirk than the from the movie of the same name.

Reply to topic    

lrzipris

12/23/17 8:51 AM

OT: Bear Story

Years ago, I stopped at a rustic golf course in Ucluelet or Tofino (can't recall), Vancouver Island, BC. A sign on the counter read, "Bear Sighting Today," and the scorecard had this caution: "If bear interferes with play, free drop, no penalty." I thought that, if the circumstances arose, I did not need permission!

Reply to topic    

Sparky

12/23/17 9:42 AM

Do they call the bears Mulligans?

lrzipris

12/23/17 7:22 PM

MISTER Mulligan.

Reply to topic    

daddy-o

12/24/17 4:56 AM

I see what you did

Nick Payne

1/31/18 10:55 PM

We just went and saw Darkest Hour, which we both thought was a much better film covering the events of the time. It has some classic lines in it - in one scene Churchill is sitting on the bog having a crap and reading a newspaper, and one of his secretaries calls through the door saying that the Lord Privy Seal wants something or other. Churchill's response: "Tell him I'm sealed in the privy and can only deal with one shit at a time".

Reply to topic    

dfcas

2/1/18 9:40 AM

I was going to see Darkest Hour about a week after it came out and it was already gone from local theaters.

13ollocks

2/1/18 11:43 PM

Dunkirk

I thought it was OK - entertaining enough, with a good cast, but I'm a sucker for most things WWII. Some of the stuff didn't ring true, like the Spitfire landing on the water - this pretty much never happened - Spitfires tended to pitch tail-up and go straight down, a result of the big radiator intakes under the wings, the narrow pointed fuselage and the weight of the monster RR Merlin in the nose.

The Dunkirk scenes in "Atonement" were, IMO, way more realistic and miserable.

Reply to topic    

dfcas

2/25/18 4:24 PM

And Darkest Hour is coming out on DVD in 2 days, 2/27/18. Must have been a dismal ratings failure.

Jesus Saves

2/25/18 6:29 PM

Or a final push by the allied forces for all of its acadamy award nominations.

Reply to topic    

Return to CyclingForum Home Page CYCLING TECH TALK FORUM
           View New Threads Since My Last Visit VIEW THREADS SINCE MY LAST VISIT
           Start a New Thread

Last Thread | Next Thread  >  

If you enjoy this site, please consider pledging your support

cyclingforum.com - where cyclists talk tech
Cycling TTF Rides Throughout The World

Cyclingforum is powered by SYNCRONICITY.NET in Denver, Colorado -