HOMECLUBS | SPONSORS | FEATURESPHOTO GALLERYTTF DONORS | SHOP FOR GEAR

Return to CyclingForum Home Page CYCLING TECH TALK FORUM
          View posts since last visit

www.equifaxsecurity2017.com
 Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Author Thread Post new topic Reply to topic
Brian Nystrom

9/18/17 9:01 AM

Freezes are not going to affect their business much.

This is not information that they "sell" in huge batches to companies; it's a service that they sell to entities that offer consumer credit. When consumers want to get new credit cards, rent an apartment, buy a car or a house, or even change jobs, they'll have to unfreeze their account for that potential creditor. They will, in turn, order a credit report from the credit bureau, which will charge them for it, just like they do now.

The only difference between that and the current system is the number of freeze/unfreeze cycles involved, which they will no longer be able to charge for if the new legislation passes. They will lose those fees, but there never would have been any fees if people didn't freeze their accounts, which most people did not. So, they're not losing that much there, either. There's probably some cost to the credit bureaus to process a freeze or unfreeze, but it may be no more than a few milliseconds of computer time.

Chances are that the credit bureaus will just raise the fees they charge for credit reports to make up for any losses.

Reply to topic    

Sparky

9/18/17 10:28 AM

I was referring more to what possible percentage of consumers will become more inactive buying having to unfreeze/freeze etc. And/or freezing spending till smoke clears etc...

Anyone take the time to read Warrens bill, is it out there?

Reply to topic     Send e-mail

Jesus Saves

10/29/17 11:13 AM

October 29, 2017 update: If you have not done so already, consider placing a security freeze. With the help of my wife, I just now placed a security freeze for the big 3 credit bureaus for her. It took about a 1/2 hour to knock out all three - all done online. No phone calls, no letters, no paint dry watching web page loading. A much faster and smoother process than when I did it for myself back in mid September.

Reply to topic    

Return to CyclingForum Home Page CYCLING TECH TALK FORUM
           View New Threads Since My Last Visit VIEW THREADS SINCE MY LAST VISIT
           Start a New Thread

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  
Last Thread | Next Thread  >  

If you enjoy this site, please consider pledging your support

cyclingforum.com - where cyclists talk tech
Cycling TTF Rides Throughout The World

Cyclingforum is powered by SYNCRONICITY.NET in Denver, Colorado -