HOMECLUBS | SPONSORS | FEATURESPHOTO GALLERYTTF DONORS | SHOP FOR GEAR

Return to CyclingForum Home Page CYCLING TECH TALK FORUM
          View posts since last visit

Too much exercise...

Author Thread Post new topic Reply to topic
Sparky

10/18/17 10:18 AM

Too much exercise...

So watching the news, a spot that will be shown later in the program is min-previewed.

Show a picture of a man on a bicycle, with a punch list the 'new study' boasts... another new study. ;)

This 'new study' sez:White Men Who Exercise Too Much At Higher Risk Of Death According To Study. Not sure how different this is from the last 'new study'. Or the one before that.

7.5 hours or more of intense exercise is more unhealthy than healthy. But not as unhealthy as sitting on ass, or sitting too much overall presumably.

One link:
http://detroit.cbslocal.com/2017/10/17/white-men-who-exercise-too-much-at-higher-risk-of-death-according-to-study/
____
White men who exercise at high levels, around seven and a half hours a week, are about 90 percent more likely to have a buildup of plaque in their heart arteries by middle age than those who exercise at low levels, less than two and a half hours a week according to a study from the University of Illinois.

Reply to topic     Send e-mail

April

10/18/17 10:41 AM

Only tangentially related...

There've been quite a bit of study (and anecdotic experience) that low intensity exercise is actually more healthy than high intensity exercise.

Still, ANY exercise is more healthy than NO exercise.

Sparky

10/18/17 11:10 AM

The usual 'moderation' thing...

The study siting "90 percent more likely to have a buildup of plaque in their heart arteries" kinda is what caught my eye mostly.

Brian Nystrom

10/18/17 3:16 PM

It depends on intensity

A little high-intensity exercise is good, as it stimulates muscle growth and improvements in cardiovascular capacity. Excessive intense exercise causes too much damage and leads to problems at advanced age.

Low intensity exercise is beneficial in any quantity, but doesn't produce the same fitness/competitive benefits as high-intensity exercise.

As for the study, the thing that catches my eye is "white men", but not because I am one. Is that implying that the same is not true for other racial/ethnic groups, or did they only test white men? If it's the former, it would be interesting to know why. If it's the latter, shame on the researchers for limiting the scope of the study.

Reply to topic    

Sparky

10/18/17 4:24 PM

"implying that the same is not true for other racial/ethnic group"

I took it to mean white men 'tested' worst??

April

10/18/17 4:57 PM

I hope it was the latter. And if so, I don’t begrudge TOO MUCH about the limit of scope. It would double the size of the pool to include women, for example. Double the cost.

I would like to see women and other ethnic groups included. But I think it’s quite likely to see a somewhat similar result.

dan emery

10/18/17 7:28 PM

Plaque

Around here there is a good population of long term, high intensity riders in their 50s/60s, and there seems to be a significant incidence of A-Fib among them.

Reply to topic    

April

10/18/17 9:27 PM

How intense is "intense" anyway?

Tom Price

10/18/17 10:14 PM

A-Fib here

I am one of the A-Fibbers and have done a lot of reading about the link to intense exercising. I have no doubt about the link. During my days of racing I was a NY State masters time trial champion and have seventeen podium finishes in the masters class at the Empire State Games. I think you can guess how much I trained. At the time I was not aware of any negative effects of heavy exercising.

As far as plaque buildup, I am not aware of any. If I have plaque buildup in my heart l think my cardiologist would have mentioned that after any of my three cardio sonograms. So my words to any of my fellow old farts here is keep exercising but watch the intensity.

Brian Nystrom

10/19/17 5:08 AM

Good question, April

I don't know if there is a definitive definition. I assume that exercising to exhaustion, racing, intervals, time trials and such would qualify.

Reply to topic    

dfcas

10/19/17 8:45 AM

There have been a few long term hard chargers here that have developed A-fib,so there seems to be a pettarn.

I didn;t start riding until my early 40's , but I still have ~24 years in. For most of those years I rode myself into the ground with intensity and duration. The last 5 years or so I backed off, but I would not be surprised if I develop A-fib too.

Brian Nystrom

10/19/17 9:36 AM

Other questions about the study

- What were the demographics and occupations of the test group? - wealthy, poor, office workers, lumberjacks

- What qualified as "exercise at a high level" (April's question)? Based on their criteria in the statement, it seems they considered strictly time, rather than intensity.

- What was their lifestyle like when not exercising? sedentary, active

- Did it take into account that as one's fitness increases, so does one's capacity for exercise?

When you think about it, many people do more than 7.5 hours of exercise in an active day of work. Are people in active or strenuous occupations more likely to have arterial plaque issues?

Relating to some of the other comments, does this have anything to do with A-fib? My understanding is that A-fib is due to heart muscle damage and/or enlargement, which has nothing to do with plaques. Plaques would put one at increase risk of heart attacks.

Reply to topic    

Jesus Saves

10/19/17 10:10 AM

It's more about diet, than exercise

White men, white bread...blah...It has been studied for quite some time, spanning decades. It's more about diet, than exercise.

Exercise more = eat more = eat more plaque inducing foods

Unless you are a Taramuhara Indian, Marathon Monk of Mount Hiei, Kyoto, or marathon runner from Africa that does not consume such foods and have no prevalence of heart/cardio problems due to their diet.

Reply to topic    

Sparky

10/19/17 10:13 AM

That makes lots of sense...

April

10/19/17 10:48 AM

"What were the demographics and occupations of the test group? - wealthy, poor, office workers, lumberjacks "

I read they have all ethnicity in the study, but strangely their conclusion only covers "white man". My suspicion is the sample sizes for the non-white are too small so they exclude them to focus on white man, which is probably the largest contingent of the group.

daddy-o

10/19/17 2:50 PM

Mayo Clinic Proceedings published the study

One takeaway I got was people who exercise more, exercise harder.

The web page (full text:)
http://www.mayoclinicproceedings.org/article/S0025-6196(17)30577-3/fulltext

The PDF (11 pages, 56 references:)
http://www.mayoclinicproceedings.org/article/S0025-6196(17)30577-3/pdf

This looks like the study. And it also looks like the reporters read one paragraph (the conclusion) and wrote several articles.

Title/Subtitle:
25-Year Physical Activity Trajectories and Development of Subclinical Coronary Artery Disease as Measured by Coronary Artery Calcium

The Coronary Artery Risk Development in Young Adults (CARDIA) Study

Brian Nystrom

10/19/17 2:59 PM

"it also looks like the reporters read one paragraph (the conclusion) and wrote several articles"

Yeah, imagine that! Who would ever do such a thing?

The study specifically states that black participants did not show an increased risk for plaque development. I wonder why this wasn't a headline?

Here's their exercise criteria (MET = the exertion level of sitting on your a$$)
Vigorous activities (≥6 METs) included running or jogging; racquet sports; biking; swimming; exercise or dance class; job lifting, carrying, or digging; shoveling or lifting during leisure; and strenuous sports. Moderate-intensity activities (3-5 METs) included nonstrenuous sports, walking and hiking, golfing and bowling, home exercises or calisthenics, and home maintenance or gardening.

Reply to topic    

Return to CyclingForum Home Page CYCLING TECH TALK FORUM
           View New Threads Since My Last Visit VIEW THREADS SINCE MY LAST VISIT
           Start a New Thread

Last Thread | Next Thread  >  

If you enjoy this site, please consider pledging your support

cyclingforum.com - where cyclists talk tech
Cycling TTF Rides Throughout The World

Cyclingforum is powered by SYNCRONICITY.NET in Denver, Colorado -