HOMECLUBS | SPONSORS | FEATURESPHOTO GALLERYTTF DONORS | SHOP FOR GEAR

Return to CyclingForum Home Page CYCLING TECH TALK FORUM
          View posts since last visit

Quick question about headset (lower)

Author Thread Post new topic Reply to topic
April

8/31/17 9:33 AM

Quick question about headset (lower)

I'm taking the old fork off my mountain bike turned commuter because its suspension mechanism is dead. I have another (somewhat newer) fork laying around which I can use as a replacement.

Is it better to take the lower headset off the old fork and put it on the replacement fork? Or is it easier to buy a new headset (doesn't cost much anyway) and put the lower part on the replacement fork?

(BTW, nothing wrong with the existing headset so far)

Reply to topic     Send e-mail

Sparky

8/31/17 9:42 AM

I personally fo not replace servicable parts unless upgrading. It msy be prudent to keep the race with the headset..

Brian Nystrom

8/31/17 9:46 AM

It depends on the type of lower race

In a typical 1 1/8" headset, the lower race is substantial enough to be removed and re-used. There's a special tool for doing this, but before I had one, I was able to remove them by tapping a thin-bladed screwdriver under the race, working a little at a time from both sides. Sometimes you get lucky and they come off easily, but often it will take a little work.

The other option is to take it to a shop and have them use a lower race puller on it. It's likely to be much cheaper than a new headset.

Reply to topic    

dddd

8/31/17 11:29 AM

I typically have to rotate the fork 180-degrees after each hammer blow to the handle of a burly screwdriver, in order to "rock" the tight crown race off of the steerer tube. It takes a while sometimes but they always come off and are reusable unless the bearing track is pitted.

Reply to topic    

Sparky

8/31/17 11:34 AM

Trick is not gouging the crown. Not that on a computer of age it requires the care of doing the same opetation on an all carbon fork etc.

KerryIrons

9/1/17 9:44 AM

Lost in translation

quote:
Not that on a computer of age it requires the care of doing the same opetation on an all carbon fork etc.

English translation please?

Reply to topic    

Sparky

9/1/17 10:06 AM

Commuter.... Oops Operation...

See what happens when I use the Android with no reading glaseses...

April

9/1/17 11:10 AM

quote:
See what happens when I use the Android with no reading glaseses...

Are you using the not-quite-ready-for-prime-time speech recognition? Or just the good old buggy auto-correct?

Sparky

9/1/17 11:37 AM

Just my huge mitts with sausage fingers on 1/3 of a 5" screen with no glasses...

Nick Payne

9/1/17 7:19 PM

Some manufacturers (eg FSA, Hope) use a split crown race, which makes it extremely easy to remove and install - only fingers are needed. And if the existing headset is fine, if you can't easily remove the crown race, then depending on the manufacturer, crown races can be purchased separately.

I have one bike where I purchased an additional crown race as I swap between forks - C-F fork for unloaded riding, I swap in a steel fork for touring with front rack and panniers.

Reply to topic    

Return to CyclingForum Home Page CYCLING TECH TALK FORUM
           View New Threads Since My Last Visit VIEW THREADS SINCE MY LAST VISIT
           Start a New Thread

Last Thread | Next Thread  >  

If you enjoy this site, please consider pledging your support

cyclingforum.com - where cyclists talk tech
Cycling TTF Rides Throughout The World

Cyclingforum is powered by SYNCRONICITY.NET in Denver, Colorado -