HOMECLUBS | SPONSORS | FEATURESPHOTO GALLERYTTF DONORS | SHOP FOR GEAR

Return to CyclingForum Home Page CYCLING TECH TALK FORUM
          View posts since last visit

The problems of internal gear cables
 Goto page Previous  1, 2

Author Thread Post new topic Reply to topic
dddd

7/16/17 6:35 PM

"Does anyone have a story about switching from steel rim 27x1 1/4 to tubulars? Whatta dream."

I don't have a particular story about that, but it was normal in post-war Britain for racing enthusiasts who didn't own cars (when few people did) to ride to the race start on Dunlop steel rims while carrying their tubular "sprint" wheels bolted to the sides of their fork. The switch to/from tubulars (along with the requisite brake-pad readjustment) was made before and after their class event, and then they perhaps had a quick pint before riding home.
Many of those bikes would have been of utilitarian "gas pipe" quality construction, but the "sprints" made them race-worthy for amateur competition (and who knows, the thicker tubing by itself may have even benefitted some of the strongest riders).
Peugeot sold millions of bikes built on their UO8 frame platform that came variously with steel clinchers, alloy clinchers or with tubulars.
I've ridden many a bike with steel rims on training rides, and one can actually take a pull and "haul the mail", but acceleration feels really, really weak whenever an acceleration occurs.
It's a great exercise for developing a more-prompt response to any hint of impending acceleration.

Reply to topic    

Brian Nystrom

7/16/17 6:52 PM

There were also some differences in 26" tires...

...but the details escape me at the moment.

As for your question, I had a Schwinn Continental that was ~42# before adding a Pletscher rack and a front generator light. It was the last bike my parents bought for me. After doing a handful of long rides on it, I bought a Peugeot PX-10 with tubulars that was probably around 23# stock. I converted the Stronglight 52/45 crank to a "half-step, plus granny" triple with 52/48/38 chainrings and swapped the 14-21 freewheel for a 14-28, I installed a Suntour GT rear derailleur in place of the Simplex Criterium it came with and Suntour Bar-Cons to make shifting more convenient.

Needless to say, the difference was night and day!

Reply to topic    

Sparky

7/16/17 6:54 PM

The one to which I refer @ the LBS in 2012 were 26".

Reply to topic     Send e-mail

dddd

7/16/17 7:43 PM

People used to often buy the wrong 26" size tires, because there were so many versions on bikes made in different countries.
Today it's becoming common knowledge to refer to the tire's BSD, which could be 559 for 26x2.125 balloon or mtb tires, 571 for 26x1 or 650c tires AND Schwinn S7 1-3/4, 584 for 26x1-1/2" or 27.5" mtb or 650b, 590 for 26x1-3/8 used on non-Schwinn three speeds or 597 for S6 26x1-1/2x1-3/8" (say what?) for Schwinn 1-3 speeds. And that's just for starters for 26", there were still others!
The most-used reference online today seems to be Harris Cyclery, the cycling database created by the late Sheldon Brown. There one can find nearly all of the obscure tire/rim variations, as well as threading standards by country, etc. Very useful.

https://sheldonbrown.com/harris/tires/

Reply to topic    

Sparky

7/16/17 8:13 PM

I do recall the S designations...

Reply to topic     Send e-mail

Return to CyclingForum Home Page CYCLING TECH TALK FORUM
           View New Threads Since My Last Visit VIEW THREADS SINCE MY LAST VISIT
           Start a New Thread

Goto page Previous  1, 2  
Last Thread | Next Thread  >  

If you enjoy this site, please consider pledging your support

cyclingforum.com - where cyclists talk tech
Cycling TTF Rides Throughout The World

Cyclingforum is powered by SYNCRONICITY.NET in Denver, Colorado -