CYCLINGFORUM.COM - Where Cyclists Talk Tech --- Return To Home

Register FAQ'sSearchProfileLog In / Log Out

cyclingforum.com ****

HOMECLUBS | SPONSORS | FEATURESPHOTO GALLERYTTF DONORS | SHOP FOR GEAR

Return to CyclingForum Home Page CYCLING TECH TALK FORUM
          View posts since last visit

Great Blue Heron (the bird, not the bike)

Author Thread Post new topic Reply to topic
dan emery

7/25/15 12:09 PM

Great Blue Heron (the bird, not the bike)

A great Blue has been hanging out at my pond lately so every morning the dogs go back and it flaps away. This morning I got some iPhone shots which aren't too bad considering I barely know how to point the thing. My Dalmatian Remy is also pictured (my other one Beani, the principal instigator, is probably closer to the pond). The bird is there so much maybe the nest is nearby. He likes the tasty Hornpout. Pretty cool.

https://share.shutterfly.com/action/welcome?sid=1ActGblq5bsWIu&emid=shareprintsharer&linkid=link5&cid=EM_sharshar

Reply to topic    

Steve B.

7/25/15 1:28 PM

We have one come into our back yard on occasion, south shore of L.I., NY. We are maybe a 1/4 mile from a salt water pond and tidal creek.

It common I'm told as they know to search grass fields for worms and other insects. Pretty cool bird to have walking around in your yard

Reply to topic    

Sparky

7/25/15 2:12 PM

Boids da Woid.

Remy looks to want him some... ;)

Reply to topic     Send e-mail

JohnC

7/27/15 9:28 PM

We live half a mile from the bank of the Connecticut River, with several tributaries and associated wetlands nearby. I see these birds fairly often, both standing in the swamps and in flight. I love the way they fly, with the neck bent back and those big wings beating slowly. They look powerful, but not fast. They remind me of old heavy bombers, like a B-17. But standing in the water watching for prey they're all grace and coiled strength, ready for the lightning-quick strike of the bill.

Nice pics, thanks.

dan emery

7/28/15 6:35 AM

lightning strike

Yes, they have the lightning strike. I used to watch them fishing from the house through binoculars, but I've let the vegetation grow up too much for that now. I could also see the fish go down their skinny necks.

The current bird is there every day, and is getting more canny. This morning he flew off away from me. I added a few more shots, the ones today are not good but if you look hard you can see him heading back into the woods from the pond.

https://share.shutterfly.com/action/welcome?sid=1ActGblq5bsWJq&emid=shareprintsharer&linkid=link5&cid=EM_sharshar

Reply to topic    

JohnC

7/29/15 8:21 AM

I saw one this morning.

Stopping briefly on the riverside path on my commute, there was a gbh standing in the shallows. I was only about 30 feet from it, and thought of trying to get the camera phone out, but when I clicked out of my pedal the sharp noise spooked the bird and he took off, flying leisurely low over the water. It was lovely.

dan emery

7/29/15 4:12 PM

Low and slow

Yeah they are a sight in the air - low, slow, definitely low cadence Roleurs. A couple of people have told me they remind them of Pterodactyls (not even I am old enough to have seen one of those).

I enjoy watching this one weave through the woods. Brings to mind Steven Stills' "Treetop Flyer" ( though I don't think the birds are involved in illicit activity. :)

And I'd much rather see this guy in the woods than the Mama Goshawk we had years ago, whose mission was to divebomb my a$$.

Reply to topic    

Sparky

7/29/15 5:38 PM

Elaine, my son and I, the summer before we left TN did a kayak river ride. Not much water but pretty and a nice lazy cruise that was quite enjoyable. For about an hour or more, there was a Heron that would wait until we got close enough, then launch and find a new perch downstream about every few minutes. We got to enjoy that for quite a bit. My son was unimpressed. ;)

Pat Clancy

7/30/15 12:20 PM

Squawkers

I often bump into herons while doing trail and river maintenance on the Hockanum - a small tributary of the Connecticut River. What is startling is their outraged squawk when disturbed. It sounds more like a crow objecting to the presence of a predator.

JohnC

7/30/15 9:06 PM

Hockanum River

I cross it near its outlet every day on my commute, Pat. A surprisingly wild area in the middle of the city. Lots of birds. I often see red-tailed hawks and other raptors - a bald eagle once.

Sparky

7/30/15 9:10 PM

"red-tailed hawks"

Happen to see one this morning riding out in the back road here.

dan emery

7/31/15 12:11 PM

Some good ones

Added some good ones I got at lunch today, deleted some blurry ones. You can see what a GBH looks like from this!

And he doesn't squawk at me. May know I own the hornpout pond.

https://share.shutterfly.com/action/welcome?sid=1ActGblq5bsWJ7&emid=shareprintsharer&linkid=link5&cid=EM_sharshar

Reply to topic    

Sparky

7/31/15 12:37 PM

Nice! There are some 125+ feet conifers in the tree line behind the house to the left. There is some kind of hawk nest back there. I like hearing them squaking, and about 2 months back 1/2 mile behind me looked like some training sessions were going on. One bigger one and 4-5 smaller ones. Straight out the back no trees until the next tree line 3/4 miles back, and over that field there some good boid show which are not uncommon. ;)

Last edited by Sparky on 8/1/15 6:17 PM; edited 1 time in total

JohnC

8/1/15 1:23 PM

Excellent shots, Dan. I especially like the one with the cloud background.

Return to CyclingForum Home Page CYCLING TECH TALK FORUM
           View New Threads Since My Last Visit VIEW THREADS SINCE MY LAST VISIT
           Start a New Thread

Last Thread | Next Thread  >  

If you enjoy this site, please consider pledging your support

cyclingforum.com - where cyclists talk tech
Cycling TTF Rides Throughout The World

Cyclingforum is powered by SYNCRONICITY.NET in Denver, Colorado -