HOMECLUBS | SPONSORS | FEATURESPHOTO GALLERYTTF DONORS | SHOP FOR GEAR

Return to CyclingForum Home Page CYCLING TECH TALK FORUM
          View posts since last visit

Basso diagnosed with testicular cancer

Author Thread Post new topic Reply to topic
Brian Nystrom

7/14/15 5:30 AM

Basso diagnosed with testicular cancer

It was discovered during a checkup on the rest day and he has left the race to have surgery ASAP.

http://velonews.competitor.com/2015/07/news/ivan-basso-leaves-tour-de-france-with-testicular-cancer_377869

Reply to topic    

dfcas

7/14/15 9:33 AM

Wishing him the best.

Reply to topic     Send e-mail

dddd

7/14/15 1:59 PM

A somewhat older friend had that diagnosis (and subsequent surgery) ten years ago.

He was advised to also undergo chemo, but declined.

Luckily he's still alive and well these days.

Reply to topic    

Steve B.

7/14/15 3:44 PM

I think the Velonews phrasing should have been "A 2 year ban for suspected doping", which is more accurate. Basso was never caught and only ever admitted to planning on using dope. Granted he at some point during this era probably used dope, as they all did, but I generally hate inaccurate reporting like this.

In this case it's because Ivan has been one of my all time favorite riders, a true gentleman from all I've seen. I suspect his career is over, but he's had a good run.

Reply to topic    

dan emery

7/14/15 4:17 PM

Good luck to him

May be a blessing that crash occurred, if it allowed the cancer to be detected earlier than otherwise.

I have a lot of respect for guys who have doping problems, suck it up, serve their time, stay humble and return to the sport they love. That he is still riding at 37 is a statement in itself.

A year ago I would have said A-Rod was the biggest A-Hole on the block, but I have a lot of respect for what he has done in the last year. [/i]

Reply to topic    

ErikS
Location: Slowing boiling over in the steamy south, Global Warming is real

7/14/15 6:37 PM

I wonder if a study has been done to determine any link between steroid use in sport and the rate of T-Cancer.

I remember at least one other besides LA and now Basso, along with soccer player (IIRC) that developed it. Cycling and Soccer are "dirty" sports.

It would be interesting to see if there was a definitive tie between abusive PEDs and cancer in general.

Of course there will never be anything but anecdotal evidence and even that won't prove anything.

Edit.

I posted without reading the article, I already knew he was out. I see the article mentions the soccer player I remembered. duh, Erik read then comment.

Reply to topic     Send e-mail

Jesus Saves

7/16/15 7:40 AM

no need to wonder - young mans' cancer

That type of cancer is most common/often diagnosed for adults aged in their 20's & 30's.

Being a professional cyclist, surely Basso's cancer was detected early with all of the routine care they receive from body mechanics (doctors) throughout the year.

Reply to topic    

Return to CyclingForum Home Page CYCLING TECH TALK FORUM
           View New Threads Since My Last Visit VIEW THREADS SINCE MY LAST VISIT
           Start a New Thread

Last Thread | Next Thread  >  

If you enjoy this site, please consider pledging your support

cyclingforum.com - where cyclists talk tech
Cycling TTF Rides Throughout The World

Cyclingforum is powered by SYNCRONICITY.NET in Denver, Colorado -