CYCLINGFORUM.COM - Where Cyclists Talk Tech --- Return To Home

Register FAQ'sSearchProfileLog In / Log Out

cyclingforum.com ****

HOMECLUBS | SPONSORS | FEATURESPHOTO GALLERYTTF DONORS | SHOP FOR GEAR

Return to CyclingForum Home Page CYCLING TECH TALK FORUM
          View posts since last visit

Steel frameset Reynolds 753 Lugged Custom Circa 95-7?

Author Thread Post new topic Reply to topic
Sparky

6/26/15 10:29 AM

Steel frameset Reynolds 753 Lugged Custom Circa 95-7?

Nice high end 90s custom silver soldered 753 OS Reynolds with all Henry James investment cast Lugs/BB/DropOuts. Looks like very sweet work. TT and Standover spot on for me too! Very generous 8 CM BB drop and 100CM Wheelbase. Expect it is 74^ up front. 4.3 lb frame and 1.6 lb matching fork. Estimate age at 19-20 year.
Internal Top Tube rear brake cable routing as well.

Can't wait to feel how she rolls.

Made by a guy who closed shop in the late 90s to pursue a medical career, Robert Neustifter the builder, RMA Cycles [Portlandia] was his shop.

Last edited by Sparky on 6/29/15 2:08 PM; edited 1 time in total

Reply to topic     Send e-mail

dan emery

6/26/15 4:45 PM

Steel is Real!

Looks nice. All 4 bikes that I ride regularly are steel. Actually this is not because they are steel, but because they are bikes I find cool that happen to be made out of steel. I think a good designer/ builder can make a great bike out of any of the common materials, including wood.

But this guy closed up a frame shop to pursue a medical career? What a loser! :)

Reply to topic    

Sparky

6/26/15 5:03 PM

There are a lot of frame builders here in PDX and the PNW generally, no surprise. I guess he got bored and moved on? Who knows...

Steel being real or not, I sold both the 2006 road and 2014 Disc road Roubiax bikes in the last 2 weeks. Got this and the Steel Strong Monster CX that is on Carl's table as I type this. So leaning back to steel to be sure. Only have the Scott and the Six13 with carbon between Aluminum carbon wise left. Elaine has the Madone carbon wise. But the Tandem, Paramount, First Strong, also all with steel forks [my preference anymore] and one Ti bike... Carbon dwindling here....

I honestly knew I would, and do feel selling the SLX 85 Colnago to buy the plastic disc road bike was foolish. I almost never rode the Nago honestly...

I just did some laps with it in the sub division after bolting enough parts on it to ride it. Fit could not be better, lucks out again. It is a whole different feeling steel than the Bridgestone and the Nago was. The Led sled feel is absent. Although it is only 3 lbs or so lighter.

No shortage of steel deals round these parts. I think for $200.00 frame and fork I should ride it like I stole it. ;)

Andy M-S

6/27/15 9:40 AM

@Dan

quote:

But this guy closed up a frame shop to pursue a medical career? What a loser! :)

I know a guy in Minneapolis who was studying for a PhD in history when he decided to build his first guitar for stress relief. That became his business for a good many years, and his instruments are well-known among the folk cognescenti (I don't own one, but he fixed a crack in my Martin many years ago). Then he went to law school and practiced corporate law for a good many years, retired, and went back to making guitars (the shop stayed open in his absence),

Sparky

6/29/15 11:41 AM

Finally got a more correct stem on the Paramount

Thanks Walter...

I needed the Ti Stem that was so objectionable in the initial Paramount build for the 753 build, so a TTT I got from Walter went on finally.

I know Walter and select few others will appreciate. No question that this stem looks a lot better. But I was waiting for the opportunity/motivation. ;)

I got some old pointy aero brake levers too, Under tape cables, not period correct but will more congruent with the 72 Paramount. But they need some real elbow grease and polishing before I take the Tektros off for them. But coming, probably like the stem will take me needing the Tektro levers on something else... ;)

Some tan wall tires of some sort next, although close up the braided mesh brown sidewalls on the All Season GP Conti is reasonably acceptable. ;)

Oh, and added a NOS Ultegra polished Aero Seatpost, the Record Post went out with the Colnago when sold...

Looks so much prettier than the Ti stem, as expected:

See last pic in post of finished bike, huge pic removed. sorry...

Last edited by Sparky on 6/29/15 10:30 PM; edited 3 times in total

dddd

6/29/15 4:16 PM

Those last images weren't appearing onscreen at this end until I got this message-reply dialog page open. The ti stems don't quite have the visual lines compared to the forged alloy stems.

The frame looks good, so glad to hear it fits and handles well.

I bet you're dying to put an angle-finder to the thing.

Any idea how many frames that Neustifter built? And how are the tire clearances?

Reply to topic    

Sparky

6/29/15 7:42 PM

It will fit a 28, closest to the rear brake caliper. No idea how many frames built, had not heard of him until I scoured the net when I got it home.

It is alive, just got done test riding it... Longer ride tomorrow.

Dura Ace 7800 group with 7700 brake calipers. 19 lbs in pic. I am thinking about getting Hutchinson Secteur 28 Tubeless for my Dura Ace Scandium Wheels. Should loose a little weight, but I am not too worries about it. It's a smooth pimp/limo ride.

I really like the minimalist thing it has going on..

daddy-o

6/29/15 10:11 PM

quote:
Those last images weren't appearing onscreen at this end until I got this message-reply dialog page open.

You need to login to see images in poorly formatted postings.

That's a dig at some of the frequent posters on this forum who use html instead of the phpBB controls provided by the forum and their photos don't show up unless you're logged in. And if Sparky and Walter, among others, are thin skinned enough to be offended by that rib jabbing I've totally misread them.

OTOH I have no shortcomings. None.

BTW, awesome looking bikes.

Sparky

6/29/15 10:22 PM

yea, when I use code to shrink the picture instead of having big pics I don't feel like resizing and re uploading to where I have to host from.. unless you are logged in...

I will edit, so excuse the bigger pic as applicable...

Anyone have a nice Ti 27.0mm seatpost to sell off??

Jesus Saves

6/30/15 7:13 AM

Looks sharp

I like the it-really-looks-like-copper steel bike with the relaxed geometry.

Reply to topic    

Sparky

6/30/15 4:58 PM

Not relaxed really, very fast and neutral up front . My guess was a HTA near 74^. I found on my maiden voyage even in a tight corner you can tighten your line at will. It is also a short wheelbase, the only thing not race geom wise is the 8CM BB drop.

When I put it side by side with bikes i know are 73.5-74^ Head Tube Angles, it is the same. So not relaxed, although I felt pretty relaxed riding it

Fits me so well it may as well have been custom made for me. I feel lucky to the extreme that it fell in my lap.

I am pleased as punch with it. It may get moved to the front of the queue. ;)

In this pic, the Scott is 73.3^ and look at them side by side.

dddd

7/1/15 9:57 AM

Just from the looks of it, suggests that you did get a custom fit.

Are you sure that Carl didn't actually make this for you?

Seeing the long-ish stem, which calms the steering, and the saddle moved forward to match, looks like a setup that rewards the rider's extra effort.

I love bikes like that.

The fork leg's bends seem unique on such a high-end bike, I forget what they call that, looks like dog-leg. I remember that style on Huffy and Iverson bikes! But it really looks fine in the picture.

PS, only suggestion, is there some DT cable housing stop that would look less "pronounced"? Maybe a silver pair?

But I have to say that even the bulky ti stems look proportionate in the longer lengths.

Reply to topic    

Sparky

7/1/15 10:11 AM

Black cable stops were on there. I have one last new polished Shimano set too. I thought about that during the build and forgot. Such as my memory is anymore... ;)

"Are you sure that Carl didn't actually make this for you? "

Well, by proxy yes pretty much, and all my good fits for 15 years now. After he built that frame for me 15 years ago I learned what and how fit for me could be frankly.

_____
Let me stick this here, Carl sent me some pics of the Monster Disc CX just off the table.

COLOR will be:

dddd

7/1/15 6:38 PM

That looks like quite the off-road bomber coming together!

Did Carl opine as to what wheel/axle standard might be the future? Looks like you have a conventional 100/135mm setup going on there, surely adequate for such a solid steel structure.

Looking toward the future, with carbon layups offering directional flex characteristics, surely the fork tips will need to be solidly joined by an oversized, torque-resisting axle. But that's just theory for the marketing folks to have fun with.

Reply to topic    

Sparky

7/1/15 6:55 PM

"Did Carl opine"

We did not have that conversation. I had built 4 disc wheelsets that got some use on the disc Roubaix. Standard 100/135 9/10mm axles and after the investment I had no plans to update to latest and greatest, thus the steel and thus the 100/135_9/10 etc. Threaded BB et al. Don't need a better mouse trap when the only rat I will catch is a big fat one, me. :)

My soiree with the BB30 and internal cables on that Roubaix was quite enough for me. ;)

Wheels CX75 28 hole hubs with CL25 Pacenti, and some 9 speed XTR NOS hubs with SL25 Pacentis. And I built up 2 other XT sets, one with 650B and one 700C with massive sale WTB rims. So it was really a decision on my part to off the Roubaix keeping all the wheels and going less to the road mode and more winter/gravel/woods/disc multi use.

My logic anyway...

EDIT: Well I have done my usual MO when I really like a new sled. Ride it too many days in a row and no rest days. ;)

I gotta say 120-30 or so miles later I really like this bike. I was planning on a 50-60 today. but got some signals from my bones that changed that up. ;O Settled on 25... it is too freaking hot anyway.

Popped on the Tubeless Wheels with the 23C Hutchinson set up tubeless. ;) Did not feel much different than the 27/25 wheels I have been riding it with previously. Although snappier maybe...

Return to CyclingForum Home Page CYCLING TECH TALK FORUM
           View New Threads Since My Last Visit VIEW THREADS SINCE MY LAST VISIT
           Start a New Thread

Last Thread | Next Thread  >  

If you enjoy this site, please consider pledging your support

cyclingforum.com - where cyclists talk tech
Cycling TTF Rides Throughout The World

Cyclingforum is powered by SYNCRONICITY.NET in Denver, Colorado -