HOMECLUBS | SPONSORS | FEATURESPHOTO GALLERYTTF DONORS | SHOP FOR GEAR

Return to CyclingForum Home Page CYCLING TECH TALK FORUM
          View posts since last visit

What a dumb ars

Author Thread Post new topic Reply to topic
Sparky

3/19/15 11:42 PM

What a dumb ars

Took the Strong SS to a friends 10 miles away. There, talking I did not take my helmet off, I felt a pain on my head and was getting a pretty good headache. On the way back, it got so uncomfortable I started moving the helmet around for relief. By my left ear I felt the the temple piece of the non cycling sunglasses I had parked on top of my head under the helmet..

MEH.

How is that for a Looooong senior 15 miles worth of moment, eeeshh....

Reply to topic     Send e-mail

dan emery

3/20/15 5:41 AM

OK but

How are the shades?

Welcome to Geezerhood. Registering for Crank the Kanc this year, I find I am now in the "Super Grandmaster" class. The only older class is "Older than Dirt." There originally were 3 entries in that class, but they were reduced to 2 because one guy had registered twice.

Reply to topic    

April

3/20/15 6:48 AM

Your eyes must be tougher than mine.

I've done tons of dumb fforgetful things even though I'm younger than most here. But forgetting my eye shield 10 miles into a ride isn't one of them.

Jesus Saves

3/20/15 7:06 AM

Hmmm, I think that is the equivalent of leaving a cup of coffee/wallet/purse/RPG on top of the driver's side roof of a car.

Reply to topic    

JohnC

3/20/15 7:50 AM

That is unique. Your helmet must fit very loosely? There's no way I could put on my helmet with something that bulky on top of my head. Even if I somehow didn't feel it, I wouldn't be able to buckle the strap.

Sparky

3/20/15 11:01 AM

They are fine, did not break if that is what you mean.

I'll clarify a little so as not to seem completely senile.

As far as tough eyes, the opposite is true. I wear contacts so I never forget to cover the eyes. I had my Oakleys on my face, so I was doubled up. ;) I use M-Frames that have the little inside lens mirror CA glued in for rides. I NEVER ride without my little mirror and the Heater lens which protect my eyes/contact even at 40+MPH, never a lens issue on the road wind. Those non hinged M frames been around for 15 year with one temple sleeve/pad change.

They other shades are very arched close fitting, even on the skull apparently, and that was my smaller helmet too. But minimal weight and no strap loc system, a Giro ProLight. I have a bigger on for winter the next size up so a cap can fit under. This one a cap under makes too tight. So yeah, how I did not feel them for like 2 hours is funky. We stood there talking for over an hour...

They are actually cycling shades, but I used them for everyday shades. So close fitting they would protect the contacts, but the little mirror would not fit under them they fit so close...

The wallet thing is scary happenstance, I have almost done that so I make sure the keys are on top of it if I park crap on the roof. But probably just not doing it would be prudent.

Oh well, happy PhriDay ya'll

"There originally were 3 entries in that class, but they were reduced to 2 because one guy had registered twice."

LOL

April

3/20/15 4:52 PM

not just for senior

quote:
I think that is the equivalent of leaving a cup of coffee/wallet/purse/RPG on top of the driver's side roof of a car.

1/2 hr ago, pulling out of Stowe parking lot, suddenly the car in front of me swirled wildly. I was like "WT...". Then I saw it, or rather "them": helmet, goggle, gloves, in the middle of the road.

after I got around them, I saw a car stopped on the side. clearly, the helemt was sitting on the top of the car and the driver started driving with them still on the roof.

The guy coming out of the car wasn't very old, judged by the 2 little kids he had in the car with him.

ErikS
Location: Slowing boiling over in the steamy south, Global Warming is real

3/20/15 6:49 PM

I have seen many a racer run over their $$$$ front race wheel. They were not senior citizens either.

Nick Payne

3/21/15 5:18 AM

I routinely wear a bandana under my helmet - it stops sweat trickling off my forehead into my eyes and stops my bald head getting sunburnt through the helmet slots.

Once every couple of weeks I find that I've started a ride with the bandana but no helmet - I've felt something on my head and started riding. If I'm with my wife she'll tell me when I exit the garage that I've forgotten my helmet, but on occasion I've ridden ten or twenty kilometres before realizing that the helmet isn't on my head.

Reply to topic    

Dave B

3/21/15 7:50 AM

Third Use

quote:
I routinely wear a bandana under my helmet - it stops sweat trickling off my forehead into my eyes and stops my bald head getting sunburnt through the helmet slots.

I wear a "Headsweats" beanie under my helmet for the same two reasons (I'm not bald but not as much hair as formerly either) but also a third one. It keeps bugs that get into the vents from getting tangled in my hair and stinging me. I've had bees and wasps get in in the past and it wasn't very enjoyable. The beanies have stopped that.

Sparky

3/21/15 10:26 AM

Sweat band, and only been stung twice in 20 years. Cotton bandana, pass. ;)

I do get the occasional hitch hiker, if they are pterodactyl sized and get in somehow, I usually will stop and free them. ;)

I buzz my hair, nothing on top to buzz anymore. But I wish I stared doing that 10 years earlier... But bugs do get right on you head with no hair, but also you have no insulation either, good and back depending on time of year.

Return to CyclingForum Home Page CYCLING TECH TALK FORUM
           View New Threads Since My Last Visit VIEW THREADS SINCE MY LAST VISIT
           Start a New Thread

Last Thread | Next Thread  >  

If you enjoy this site, please consider pledging your support

cyclingforum.com - where cyclists talk tech
Cycling TTF Rides Throughout The World

Cyclingforum is powered by SYNCRONICITY.NET in Denver, Colorado -