HOMECLUBS | SPONSORS | FEATURESPHOTO GALLERYTTF DONORS | SHOP FOR GEAR

Return to CyclingForum Home Page CYCLING TECH TALK FORUM
          View posts since last visit

Drugs in other sports

Author Thread Post new topic Reply to topic
henoch

2/10/15 7:15 PM

Drugs in other sports

You mean to tell me that cyclists aren't the only ones that dope?
http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/mma-cagewriter/gsp--said-no--to-anderson-silva-fight--fears-silva-s-ped-test-was--tip-of-the-iceberg-023023076-mma.html

Reply to topic    

Nick Payne

2/11/15 5:40 AM

In bodybuilding they have "natural" contests, so-called to distinguish them from ordinary bodybuilding contests where virtually everybody is chemically bulked up. My friend who works for ASADA came back chuckling from having run the drug tests at the Australian "natural" bodybuilding championships in Melbourne a couple of years ago. "Eleven positives", he said, "More than at any other event I've ever tested at."

Reply to topic    

greglepore

2/11/15 6:16 AM

Article in the Wall Street Journal yesterday (or Monday) about weed as a PED in ultramarathons...

Reply to topic     Send e-mail

dddd

2/11/15 12:56 PM

"Article in the Wall Street Journal yesterday (or Monday) about weed as a PED in ultramarathons..."

I am chuckling at the sort of imagery that conjures up, especially being here in The Endurance Capitol of the World.
I was at the downtown 'running store' last night, now re-imagining all of the Western States 100 glory posters I had been looking at, lol.

Reply to topic    

Brian Kelly

2/11/15 2:13 PM

MMA has had a real bad run lately with both recreational and PED positives.

Light heavyweight champ positive for cocaine leading up to a big title defense, and is allowed to fight (out of competition, non PED)

Recent headline fight had both fighters popped for positives- one for steroids, the other for marijuana

2 other bigger name fighters just tested positive for steroids as well.

They also had a big issue with guys getting TUEs for TRT.

My guess is that MMA is probably at the "Festina Affair" level right now- everyone knows what's going on, but they do their best to look away and act like they are only isolated incidents. Time will tell.

henoch

2/11/15 3:10 PM

There is also a piece in this months issue of Outside magazine about running while being high on marijuana.

Reply to topic    

ErikS
Location: Slowing boiling over in the steamy south, Global Warming is real

2/11/15 6:36 PM

The debate now in the military.

Weed. With states legalizing the recreational sale and use, the question is; Can the prohibition last in those states if somebody lights up on the weekend?

How is it any different than getting drunk during the same time? If the user is not breaking any laws then where does the DOD have any right to say they can't use it.

I don't and have never used anything other than a stout drink.

Though if legal, I might try a brownie. I won't ever smoke anything, my lungs mean something to me.

greglepore

2/11/15 7:40 PM

The beauty (depending on how you see it) of potent and legal thc is that edibles, creams and vapor (steam laced with thc basically) are becoming the norm.

Problem with thc testing is its fat soluble, and stays in the system for as much as 30 days depending on dose/frequency.

Dave B

2/11/15 10:27 PM

quote:
Problem with thc testing is its fat soluble, and stays in the system for as much as 30 days depending on dose/frequency.

Yes and this is going to be the problem for defining DUI levels for it.

Alcohol levels are legally defined and drop pretty fast so if you are above the legal limit at one point but you wait you will get below it in a reasonable amount of time and you are OK to drive.

THC's persistence makes it a lot harder to define when and if you are impaired and for how long. We may have to go back to "field sobriety" testing.

Return to CyclingForum Home Page CYCLING TECH TALK FORUM
           View New Threads Since My Last Visit VIEW THREADS SINCE MY LAST VISIT
           Start a New Thread

Last Thread | Next Thread  >  

If you enjoy this site, please consider pledging your support

cyclingforum.com - where cyclists talk tech
Cycling TTF Rides Throughout The World

Cyclingforum is powered by SYNCRONICITY.NET in Denver, Colorado -