HOMECLUBS | SPONSORS | FEATURESPHOTO GALLERYTTF DONORS | SHOP FOR GEAR

Return to CyclingForum Home Page CYCLING TECH TALK FORUM
          View posts since last visit

Virtual reality, redux

Author Thread Post new topic Reply to topic
greglepore

1/28/15 8:19 AM

Virtual reality, redux

Not to take away form the computrainer thread but...

I've played with some vr cycling sims-Tour d'Giro (really cool for what it is, but crummy graphics-the racing however is pretty good) and the beta Zwift (cool if you're a ps3/4 millenial type) but I think there's something out there that might just be the next thing. I don't have any commercial connection with these guys (just a customer) but wish I did :)

I've posted before about the gorgeous Velorealtiy videos-1080p films of many cycling Mecca's, from Flanders to Alps and Majorica. Well, they've just added a vr feature that adds a 3d avatar of real riders online to a course that your riding. So, lets say that Dan and I both decide that we want to ride the Flanders video together. I log in, and sit by the road maybe 500 meters from the start. Dan's avatar rides by, and I latch on to his wheel. We stay together for the first 10 miles or so, trading pulls (no drafting algorithm yet, but coming, I'm told) until we hit the Koppenberg, at which point he drops me like the slug I am, but he waits for me at the top and we pummel each other until the end.

The software is still in development, and you have to look for folks riding a video that you have in your library for now, but they're talking about a server that will post rides and times-ie race up Alpe d'Huez today at 7gmt...

These guys are on to something, and their support etc is amazing. Its all free for now, aside from video purchase, but probably not forever.

They also build the world's coolest trainer, but its 3k.

Check out their website and forum, neat stuff.

Reply to topic     Send e-mail

rickhardy
Location: Needham outside of Boston - the hub of the universe

1/28/15 10:07 AM

I would be in

Currently training weeknights with a Computrainer with structured workouts designed by ex forum poster Bill Black. But say for example this weekend temps will be frigid so no rides outdoors I will be on the CT for unstructured training rides to get in saddle time, it would be cool to arrange a virtual TTF ride with you and my TT teammate Dan once this got going. It would be cool for all TTF'rs who have CT's for winter time group rides. we just need to arrange a group conference call to have conversations while we ride :).

Reply to topic    

dan emery

1/28/15 10:11 AM

TTF virtual group ride

Well if you guys can figure out how to do it I'll take a shot. I think what Greg describes is a bit too complicated for me though. One thing I like about ErgVideo is that the Erg mode makes it mindless...

Reply to topic    

greglepore

1/28/15 12:13 PM

No harder than ergvideo, Dan. Similar setup actually. You can download their control software for free, and there are two demo rides on the website (one is top of Galibier, not sure about the other). They operate in grade mode (ie you have to shift) but its great for unstructured work. The Flanders vid is exceptional for tempo with some really nasty (max 20%) short hills thrown in for strength.

Rick, Bill's workouts are sadistic but effective. He still posts over at wattage.

dfcas

1/28/15 12:34 PM

Zwift is popular with the Wahoo Kickr users, which seems to be a popular sytem now.

greglepore

1/28/15 2:11 PM

Almost all these new systems work with Kickr, CT, and even just an old school resistance trainer if you have a powermeter on the bike that brodcasts in Ant (all but old wired srms and powertaps).

sanrensho

1/28/15 2:16 PM

Cycleops Virtual Training has online racing. I've never used that feature as I prefer the convenience of riding whenever I want (plus I often train at late hours).

What I do use and enjoy is the Virtual Partner feature where you can race against another user's previous ride of the same course. No avatar overlay on video, but there are small markers on the elevation chart and a data screen showing the Virtual Partner's power data/speed/HR and distance from you.

It's not Zwift but it does add a motivational element.

The real issue is with all these people polluting Strava's leaderboards with their virtual rides. They should be marked as workout or indoor trainer.

Last edited by sanrensho on 1/28/15 3:27 PM; edited 1 time in total

Reply to topic    

dan emery

1/28/15 2:55 PM

Complicated

Greg, I was referring to the jumping on the wheel and pummeling each other as more complicated than I may be ready for in indoor (or outdoor for that matter) riding. Plus, I really do like the non-shifting, non-thinking, predetermined effort level of Erg mode better than the shift, decide how hard you want to go nature of programs that use the regular, road simulation mode. Just mentally lazy is all.

That said, I've got to do another ftp test. This time I'm using Smelly's video that has a structured erg mode warmup, then you cut it loose for the 20 minutes. Fun!

I now have Smelly's full Gran Fondo training package (10 videos) , and I downloaded his Gran Fondo training plan (which I'm already behind on). I must say, I find his stuff awesome. I'm sure there is other awesome stuff , but this will keep me busy for awhile.

Reply to topic    

Sparky

1/28/15 3:37 PM

I can say that with two CTs and two maniacs jumping to a hammer/sprint requires a solidly mounted setup!

We learned early to have the two trainers mounted to separate systems if platforms are not anchored to the floor!

greglepore

1/28/15 5:29 PM

I suspect a 500 mi separation ought to be sufficient, despite Dan's prodigious power.

henoch

1/28/15 9:32 PM

Haha

Reply to topic    

Return to CyclingForum Home Page CYCLING TECH TALK FORUM
           View New Threads Since My Last Visit VIEW THREADS SINCE MY LAST VISIT
           Start a New Thread

Last Thread | Next Thread  >  

If you enjoy this site, please consider pledging your support

cyclingforum.com - where cyclists talk tech
Cycling TTF Rides Throughout The World

Cyclingforum is powered by SYNCRONICITY.NET in Denver, Colorado -