Another One 'bytes' the dust. argh..
 Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Author Thread Post new topic Reply to topic
April

1/16/15 8:09 AM

quote:
when something breaks, you're just supposed to chuck it

That's hardly Apple or Shimano!

The entire personal computer industry, no, make it personal electronic industry has been going down that road for decades!!! Software used to be ENTIRELY backward INCOMPATIBLE! So you end up with a piece of hardware that's nothing more than a paperweight. And guess who was the driving force behind that? Microsoft is just as bad as Apple, if not worse in some regard.

So you won't use Apple stuff but will use Microsoft? Hahaha

Reply to topic     Send e-mail

Andy M-S

1/16/15 8:26 AM

"Software used to be ENTIRELY backward INCOMPATIBLE!&am

Um...no,not really.

On Windows 8.1 (and every previous version) you can run most software that was written for DOS. I haven't tried it, but I'll bet you could run WordStar 3 (I was never a WordStar fan). Maybe Lotus 123 if you can find it!

I frequently run a very old version of SPSS/PC for DOS on my Win 8.1 machine, and I've even run the one video game I've ever enjoyed (NETWARS, which came with Digital's DR-DOS).

Granted, the change from FAT to NTFS broke a few things, but you can still have your FAT if you really want it.

It sort of surprised me how much Microsoft was willing to bend over backwards to keep things compatible.

In my experience, software that won't run on later versions of Microsoft's operating systems does so because someone wrote version-checking into the code, to prevent running on an *earlier* version, and did it badly by specifying a single version (X), rather than (X or greater).

dddd

1/16/15 4:17 PM

I was thinking that is why older digital cameras often don't work on the newer machines(?).

But isn't it also that drivers for the new OS never got written?

I was actually thankful to find that at least one of my digital cameras actually worked on my new-at-the-time, 1-yr-old, 8.1 laptop here.

Reply to topic    

ErikS
Location: Slowing boiling over in the steamy south, Global Warming is real

1/16/15 4:37 PM

Apple products are not easily repaired at times but they absolutely will and can be repaired.

I have fixed iPhones, I know I can work on my MBA after the warranty runs out and parts can be had.

My other devices I can say are to be chunked in the garbage.

BTW, my son is using an iPhone 4 that has lasted for LONG time. I have a drawer with 3 android phones that puked after updates ruined them.

Pat Clancy

1/17/15 6:24 PM

My iPhone bit the dust

I'm an unrepentant Apple fanboy. We have an iMac, two iPhones, and an iPad. Over the years for either our use or our daughter's, we've bought a number of other Macs including a Mac SE (in the attic - 25 years old and it still works), a couple of eMacs, and a couple of iMacs. All gave yeoman service and were retired simply to upgrade to better/newer features.

I did various aspects of Intel/Windows support for 25 years and respect Microsoft for what they've done, but I'm no longer interested in getting under the hood. I want stuff that's easy to use and long lived, and Apple seems to do that better.

Having said that, and getting back to my post title, my iPhone 5S crapped out early this week. Gave a bright blue display before giving up the ghost. Who new that Apple also had a blue screen of death? Fortunately, it was still under warranty and we have an Apple store near by. I stopped in and within 15 minutes walked out with a new one. I had to laugh - the Apple rep took my phone in the back to transfer the SIM and when he came out he mentioned that the new one was a 2nd replacement unit. He dropped the first one. He said it still worked, but the case was scuffed.

ErikS
Location: Slowing boiling over in the steamy south, Global Warming is real

1/17/15 8:11 PM

I hope you backup to iTunes. That makes a full recovery seemless.

My MBA was FULLY restored less than an hour after I opend the shipping box because I have a Timemachine backup drive for it and use it often. My desktop lives with the Timemachine always plugged in.

Return to CyclingForum Home Page CYCLING TECH TALK FORUM
           View New Threads Since My Last Visit VIEW THREADS SINCE MY LAST VISIT
           Start a New Thread

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  
Last Thread | Next Thread  >  

If you enjoy this site, please consider pledging your support

cyclingforum.com - where cyclists talk tech
Cycling TTF Rides Throughout The World

Cyclingforum is powered by SYNCRONICITY.NET in Denver, Colorado -