HOMECLUBS | SPONSORS | FEATURESPHOTO GALLERYTTF DONORS | SHOP FOR GEAR

Return to CyclingForum Home Page CYCLING TECH TALK FORUM
          View posts since last visit

brrr. cold ride...

Author Thread Post new topic Reply to topic
Sparky

11/16/14 3:51 PM

brrr. cold ride...

40-2^ some wind, testing out the winter clothes I got.

Biggest problem is when you start rolling 18-20+, the wind chill exponentially increases it feels like. Does it?

No wool jersey today, rather tried out some dual layer high perf long johns, med tights [with pad] and a long sleeve top with sleeves removed from an 'on the Heavy side shell'. Oh, poly cap on the head covering the tops of the ears and long finger leather cycling gloves. Single layer Icebreaker light wool hiking socks with some plastic over the toe tips inside the shoe. Very happy with these Icebreaker wool socks, they are a less is more solution.

All seemed good. I was motivated to put out watts to generate heat and warmth. Temps felt colder than I remember the 300 miles in January on the SS.

Face neck and airway over 20MPH biggest issue. Maybe I will stick to hills for this activity, up hills. ;)

Same weather/temps next few days, will try the same tops layers but wool jersey instead of long johns, and shorts w/tights on the bottom.

Learning....

Reply to topic     Send e-mail

dfcas

11/16/14 6:47 PM

I think the answer is a Fat Bike. Go slow, work hard. You may end up in shorts and shorts sleeves...

Sparky

11/16/14 7:51 PM

Trying to use the disc Roubaix. ;)

Maybe below 40 it is time to grab the 29er or gravel.

April

11/16/14 9:38 PM

40 is cold?

Sparky

11/16/14 9:59 PM

Yeah, 40 is cold with a 25MPH wind chill going down the other sides of the climbs. And I kept it down using the brake more. Not something I do at 50+ ;)

It felt colder to be honestly. And I think maybe the weather/TV reported inversion I just saw on the news may have something to do with.

Brian Nystrom

11/17/14 6:47 AM

It's all about blocking the wind

Windproof layers make all the difference in the world and they allow you to wear much less insulation underneath. I picked up a Castelli Mortirolo jacket last year and I find that with just a long sleeve base layer, it can actually be too warm when the temps get much above 40 degrees.

On my hands, most often I wear a pair of windstopper fleece gloves with light liners underneath. Unless I'm out on the MTB is sub-freezing temps (I don't ride the road when it's much below 40), that's all I need.

BTW, I get cold pretty easy, so if I'm warm, most people would be with the same clothing.

Reply to topic    

Sparky

11/17/14 10:24 AM

High of 44^ today, and it usually never makes the forecast/projected high. I suspect an identical day.
I will try the wool long sleeve with the heavy shell with the sleeve zipped on.

A little reading shows in a winter inversion the cold air is tapped below warmer air above. In this case here the air is humid, so maybe that is what created the extra feeling of cold?

Return to CyclingForum Home Page CYCLING TECH TALK FORUM
           View New Threads Since My Last Visit VIEW THREADS SINCE MY LAST VISIT
           Start a New Thread

Last Thread | Next Thread  >  

If you enjoy this site, please consider pledging your support

cyclingforum.com - where cyclists talk tech
Cycling TTF Rides Throughout The World

Cyclingforum is powered by SYNCRONICITY.NET in Denver, Colorado -