CYCLINGFORUM.COM - Where Cyclists Talk Tech --- Return To Home

Register FAQ'sSearchProfileLog In / Log Out

cyclingforum.com ****

HOMECLUBS | SPONSORS | FEATURESPHOTO GALLERYTTF DONORS | SHOP FOR GEAR

Return to CyclingForum Home Page CYCLING TECH TALK FORUM
          View posts since last visit

Ahh, hit 50^ again, gale force winds though...

Author Thread Post new topic Reply to topic
Sparky

11/11/14 7:18 PM

Ahh, hit 50^ again, gale force winds though...

Some days the wind coming down the Columbia River Gorge is pretty hugh! If I had rode today, it would not have been the usual route into that direction.

News just reported steady 32MPH winds at PDX. That is a lot of speed to add to your approach speed!

I rode yesterday before it got too serious and was only in the 20MPH area, and over 50^ too.

The wool jersey is still to much for mid fifty temps with high exertion I learned yesterday. ;) Zipper polo ensued...

Reply to topic     Send e-mail

Sparky

11/11/14 7:28 PM

News also showing a tree down that hit a cyclist downtown. I remember how that feels unfortunately.

He fared better than I had back in 2000 according to the news. I was afraid what direction that was going to go as the report started! ;O

Also reporting gusts in the metro area of 50-60 MPH. Yeeshhh...

KerryIrons

11/11/14 8:39 PM

Approach speed

quote:
News just reported steady 32MPH winds at PDX. That is a lot of speed to add to your approach speed!

Actually I think you would be subtracting it from your approach speed. You land into the wind, so if you need an air speed of 120 on landing, your ground speed can be 90, which makes for a much better landing.

Reply to topic    

Sparky

11/11/14 8:56 PM

remind me not to fly with you at the yoke.

You add it, if/when the 32 headwind goes away suddenly.... you will fall out of the sky if you do not add it. You are adding it to the approach speed due to the stall speed component.

April

11/11/14 10:12 PM

Excuse me, you did say "steady" 32MPH winds![/b]

Sparky

11/11/14 10:29 PM

Yes, that is what they said on the news.

I was about 4 miles in from the gorge a good part of the day, and it was near 20MPH then, steady with over 30 gusts. The gorge is like a tunnel with the walls/terrain on both sides. PDX is on the river, so that 'tunnel' gets some crazy wind speeds directly down the main L/R parallel runways. They put them there pointed up the river for a good reason. ;) I have only seen the wind direction cause reversed landing pattern 2 times all the times we ride past the airport on Marine drive, and that is a lot.

Some may recall a post earlier this year I made about a similar day [in March IIRC] while out on my Scott. I had a gust stop me from forward momentum completely. Luckily a direct headwind or I am sure I would have been blown over.

lrzipris

11/14/14 8:34 AM

Anecdotally, I find there are more days of higher, gusty winds. On a recent windy day, I was reminded of the time when I decided that I had to set a temperature limit: now, I don't go out in 20-30 mph winds. It is unnerving to be buffeted and blown about by 40 mph gusts.

Reply to topic    

Dave B

11/14/14 5:03 PM

50 degrees would be a blessing. It hit a high of 32 here today!

Sparky

11/14/14 5:47 PM

50^ with 40 MPH wind gusts = what wind chill??

Today it hit 43, wind;2-3 with gusts to 9mph. ;) I shoulda got out, wasn't in the cards though...

Besides, my leg work yesterday had my quads all limp. ;)

Return to CyclingForum Home Page CYCLING TECH TALK FORUM
           View New Threads Since My Last Visit VIEW THREADS SINCE MY LAST VISIT
           Start a New Thread

Last Thread | Next Thread  >  

If you enjoy this site, please consider pledging your support

cyclingforum.com - where cyclists talk tech
Cycling TTF Rides Throughout The World

Cyclingforum is powered by SYNCRONICITY.NET in Denver, Colorado -