HOMECLUBS | SPONSORS | FEATURESPHOTO GALLERYTTF DONORS | SHOP FOR GEAR

Return to CyclingForum Home Page CYCLING TECH TALK FORUM
          View posts since last visit

Cables for Campy

Author Thread Post new topic Reply to topic
gkamieneski

11/6/14 2:37 PM

Cables for Campy

I am looking to replace gear and brake cable sets on my Campagnolo-equipped road bike. I am still using Campy downtube shifters so the only derailleur casing I need is for the short bend entering the rear derailleur.

Because I am not using Campagnolo Ergo, can I use Shimano/SRAM type cable sets, such as Jagwire? I know my current Campy brake cables are 5mm casings while the short section of gear casing is 4.5mm.

Reply to topic    

Dave B

11/6/14 2:51 PM

It's not the housing that's the problem. Campy gear cables have a different, smaller diameter end fitting than Shimano and SRAM shifters and using a Shimano cable can cause the end to jam in your Campy lever.

Jagwire sells shift cables with a fitting on each end, one for Shimano (embossed "S" on the end) and the other for Campy (embossed "C"). You cut off the end you don't need.

Shimano and Campy brake cable ends are closer in size but not really interchangeable either.

Reply to topic     Send e-mail

Dave B

11/6/14 2:52 PM

DP. Site problems I think

gkamieneski

11/6/14 3:03 PM

Remember I am talking about downtube levers. If anything, shouldn't I be able to file the end button of the Shimano/SRAM cable so that it seats correctly in the downtube lever?

What about the casings themselves, any problem there. And the brake cable/casings shouldn't be a problem?

Reply to topic    

dfcas

11/6/14 4:21 PM

I've used a deemed to make a shims I cable head smaller but that was back when it was hard to find Campy size ball ends. I'd just get the jagwire s and c version now. I also put a drop of grease in the socket where the head goes.

Dremel. Shimano. Damn phone.

April

11/6/14 5:09 PM

quote:
If anything, shouldn't I be able to file the end button of the Shimano/SRAM cable so that it seats correctly in the downtube lever?

Assuming the downtube shifter has the same size/shape as in ergo shifter, filing down the Shimano head will do the trick nicely.

I did that on mine and had no problem.

Dave B

11/6/14 6:17 PM

Yes, the housings are the same for both brands. And yes, it's possible to file down the buttons on Shimano cables to fit Campy shifters but with the easy availability of the double ended ones, it makes little sense to bother.

Brian Nystrom

11/7/14 6:46 AM

I file brake cables for Campy all the time...

...but it's been a while since I've used a shift cable that didn't have a choice of Campy or SRAM/Shimano ends.

There's another option for DT levers; find a drill bit the same size as a SRAM/Shimano cable end and enlarge the holes in the levers. I would do this by hand using a pin vise or tap wrench to hold the bit, though you could do it carefully using a variable speed drill set in the low speed (screw driving) range. Once that's done, you can use any cable you like.

Reply to topic    

Andy M-S

11/7/14 2:43 PM

Drill, baby, drill!

Any reason that shouldn't work just as well in an Ergo shifter? You'd want to take off the hood and have a vacuum sucking down any shavings, but I can't think of any inherent reason it wouldn't work just as well in an Ergo and in a DT shifter...

greglepore

11/7/14 4:17 PM

Why do it with the ratchet wheel in the shifter? Its easy enough to disassemble.

Brian Nystrom

11/8/14 8:52 AM

My only concern...

...is with the wall thickness of the parts involved. A downtube lever has a lot of meat around the cable hole, but that's not the case with Ergo shifter ratchet wheels. The brake cable cylinder seems to have plenty of extra thickness.

Measuring some cable ends, Campy are ~4mm and Shimano are ~4.4mm, so there is a significant, if not huge difference. Also, considering that the bottom of the shift cable hole needs to be flat, drilling it out may not be the best idea afterall. A milling cutter would be a better tool, but I don't have one in the correct size (4.5mm). There is no corresponding English mill size, but a #16 drill bit is the same size and a #17 might work.

Reply to topic    

walter

11/8/14 12:21 PM

just turn the ends down on a bench grinder

hold the cable in your fingertips and roll the end against the grinding-wheel back and forth to turn it down. i do this for both shifter-ends and brake-ends that do not agree dimensionally w/ my ergo shifters.

Return to CyclingForum Home Page CYCLING TECH TALK FORUM
           View New Threads Since My Last Visit VIEW THREADS SINCE MY LAST VISIT
           Start a New Thread

Last Thread | Next Thread  >  

If you enjoy this site, please consider pledging your support

cyclingforum.com - where cyclists talk tech
Cycling TTF Rides Throughout The World

Cyclingforum is powered by SYNCRONICITY.NET in Denver, Colorado -