HOMECLUBS | SPONSORS | FEATURESPHOTO GALLERYTTF DONORS | SHOP FOR GEAR

Return to CyclingForum Home Page CYCLING TECH TALK FORUM
          View posts since last visit

Saw a thread/post on RBR re: Idaho Style Bike Stop law

Author Thread Post new topic Reply to topic
Sparky

10/31/14 12:48 PM

Saw a thread/post on RBR re: Idaho Style Bike Stop law

Be curious what the positions on this in your state from the folks here.

Who might cheat at stops and red lights and when? Hypothetically of course....

Apparently OR is one state that has had this close but never make it on the ballot. And Idaho has set precedent on it since 1982 when they passed their law. Wonder why no other states have followed, especially states like OR, it would seem more likely to have done so than some/most??

Reply to topic     Send e-mail

Brian Nystrom

11/1/14 8:21 AM

It's been talked about a lot...

...but the simple fact that it actually makes sense pretty much ensures that most politicians would never accept it.

I'm sure that most drivers wouldn't like the fact that cyclists are treated differently than motor vehicles, despite the fact that they treat us differently anyway (hypocrisy runs rampant in this debate). That just gives them one more reason to resent and abuse us.

That said, I ride pretty much according to the Law in Idaho because it makes sense, though I live in NH. I really don't care about the local laws; at intersections I do what makes the most sense and is the safest practice. Generally, that means getting through the intersection as quickly as is practical and safe, since the odds of getting in an accident at an intersection are exponentially higher than they are on the open road. Ergo, the less time you spend at intersections, the less likely you are to be involved in an accident.

BTW, I drive ~20,000 miles/year, so it's not as if I'm an anti-car zealot. I daresay that I have a pretty good perspective from both sides.

Reply to topic    

ErikS
Location: Slowing boiling over in the steamy south, Global Warming is real

11/2/14 6:08 AM

I cheat stops and lights

If there are no cars at an intersection I will roll a stop sign. There is one near my home that fits that description.

There is one light on one of my lunch rides that crosses a 4 lane. The lights run off road sensors and my plastic bike does not set them off. I am forced to roll that light about once a week just to get across because it won't change for me and there are no cars around. There is not a crosswalk there either so the "push the button" trick won't work.

Steve B.

11/2/14 6:53 AM

Brian pretty much summed up my attitude and methods.

I would love to see this in NY State, but it's never going to happen. The state legislature couldn't even agree on the 3 ft passing rule, having run the idea past maybe 3 county sheriffs whose attitude was "we can't enforce it", so the law was written to state "safe passing distance" only. Sigh.

I would also not want to see this type of law for NYC, where it would actually make some sense in many neighborhoods, given that the city has installed a gazillion unnecessary traffic lights at intersections in the outer boroughs. Giving this right to cyclists in Manhattan would simply empower them to ride completely stupid and carnage would result. Maybe if the city could get the pedestrians to stop jaywalking, then it would make sense, but otherwise, no. But outside the city - yes.

Reply to topic    

Sparky

11/2/14 11:30 AM

"my plastic bike does not set them off"

I get that mostly with my Scott, my 2005 Roubaix did not get ignored. I can even lay the Scott down on it's side and it won't set off one diagonal bike path xing.
So you have to use the ped xing, then wait for a second ped xing light technically. Lots of Idaho non stops there. But busy road, so more like Idaho sprints maybe? ;)

Return to CyclingForum Home Page CYCLING TECH TALK FORUM
           View New Threads Since My Last Visit VIEW THREADS SINCE MY LAST VISIT
           Start a New Thread

Last Thread | Next Thread  >  

If you enjoy this site, please consider pledging your support

cyclingforum.com - where cyclists talk tech
Cycling TTF Rides Throughout The World

Cyclingforum is powered by SYNCRONICITY.NET in Denver, Colorado -