HOMECLUBS | SPONSORS | FEATURESPHOTO GALLERYTTF DONORS | SHOP FOR GEAR

Return to CyclingForum Home Page CYCLING TECH TALK FORUM
          View posts since last visit

Continental Grad Pix tires?

Author Thread Post new topic Reply to topic
April

10/22/14 9:17 AM

Continental Grad Pix tires?

A side effect of flat is I got to look at my tires a bit more closely than usual (well, can't help NOT to notice the condition of the tire while fixing a flat), which prompted me to check ALL my tires. Lo and behold, some of them are well past their replacement! (not the one flatted, but the rest of my "stock" -- I have 3 sets of wheels, so 6 tires! Surprise, surprise, how "stuff" accumulates!).

So I went online to check on tires. All my current tires are Continental Grad Pix of various version: 2000/3000/4000. I honestly don't really notice how they handle or feel. Nor do they seem to have much difference in flat frequency. But that could probably because I never paid enough attention even if difference does exist.

Any OPINION and facts you all care to share? Or are they more or less similar enough that I just go by price or what's on sale?

I ride 25 and wish to stay that way, if it matters. (I'm mostly a fair weather rider so don't think I push the performance of tires)

Reply to topic     Send e-mail

walter

10/22/14 9:23 AM

vittoria corsa CX

life is too short to ride crappy, lifeless tires -- flat risk be damned!

April

10/22/14 9:49 AM

I prefer 25mm. Don't see the Victoria come in that size

[EDIT] see 25 on CC.

Sparky

10/22/14 10:22 AM

I have a little inventory of GP4 in 25m, my goto go fast tire. I also have 5 GP4 All Season 28s which run small, more like a 25 IMO. I have not had one flat yet with the All seasons.

Mt latest fav is the Vittoria Pave, 320 TPI in one casing layer, unlike the 3 layers the conti spreads the TPI spec across. Only one flat from a car tire wire. These ride beautifully.

When I used the CX, I was not happy with how fast it wore, like crazy fast. Although I sure have some girth on you. Rode quality best of the best probably.

Also you may like the Vredestein Fortezza TriComp, they ride as nice as the best of them out there. under $40.00 @ Merlincycles.com

All 3 of these by comparison to the conti ride noticeably better. But I still like the GP4 for grip. The Pave also had superb grip. Don't recall the CX grip.

Elaine has the Michelin Lithiums II and they ride nice @ 23mm and no flats yet, but she has not ridden too much this season. And they where on sale for like 22.00 sometime, that is what we paid for folding.

Probikekit.com of merlincycles.com best prices on all these pretty sure.

Oh, and Rubino Pros ride very nice, the ones we have we got on sale for 19.00 each folding.

April

10/22/14 10:33 AM

I almost don't ever flat at all (being light) so that's not the first thing that comes to mind when I'm choosing tires.

Since I seems to have only ridden Conti's (not on purpose, that's what came on the bikes so I always replaced with the same without thinking), I guess I don't have anything to compare with as far as ride quality. I tend to keep the tires pressure on the relatively low side though, <90. So I'm not sure if that blurs the ride quality?

About the only thing I care is durability. Not that I can't afford to replace it. But it's one more thing I need to do. So the less frequent I need to do, the better. Also, if they wear fast, I need to pay more attention to their condition more often. Something I'd rather not do unless there's such a huge improvement on ride quality.

Grip. That's a given, isn't it? Any tires that doesn't grip well shouldn't be on any bike!

Sparky

10/22/14 10:45 AM

"<90. So I'm not sure if that blurs the ride quality? "

If blur means ride better, yes. ;) I am 210 and don't go over 90 in the rears even. ;)

Grip, yeah. I am still on the fence on the Rubinos on that. When I use the word grip, I guess I mean hard in a turn fast, the extreme aspect/use. i feel as though I loose my line sooner pushing very hard and tight with the Rubinos myself. Truth is I do not do that all that often. But who needs surprises, right?

PKB has a 2fer deal on 25 Paves, pair with tubes for 98.00 currently. And same on a few Conti sets.

BTW, the Vreds, & CX ride SO well, even I would use a 23 with them.

Also, if you get the idea the Gator skin are an option, they ride quite hard IMO. Got a Gator on the rear of the Tandem where we have the weight to push it into submission. ;) GP4 All Season on the front.

sandiway

10/22/14 10:52 AM

Thinner casing rolls better than thicker casing.
Higher tpi rolls better than lower tpi
Thinner casing means more flats.
Kevlar bead lighter than wire bead.
Softer rubber means better grip.
Softer rubber means higher wear.
Black rubber means higher grip than nonblack.

You make your compromise choice.

What I care about is cornering feel in the wet,
Especially on a descent.

Reply to topic    

Sparky

10/22/14 11:11 AM

"What I care about is cornering feel in the wet,
Especially on a descent."

You might give the Paves a try then, this is where they shine. Well, and ride quality as well. Weight, not so much. ;)

April

10/22/14 11:15 AM

I don't think I particularly care too much about rolling better or worse. My speed is limited mostly by my heart, nor does it really matter after all. I'm not racing, nor am I even trying to hang with any particular group.

So on the grip vs wear compromise front, I have nothing but Conti's as a baseline reference. I thought they grip fine. (the only one time I lose grip was when it's was almost flat!). I guess I don't push the limit on corners after all.

Basically, I've only have various versions of Kevlar Conti GP tires at 25mm.

They seems to roll & grips fine by me, rarely flats, last forever. That being my reference point, should I just go for price on any of the Conti GP or Victoria (CX/Pave)?

sanrensho

10/22/14 11:20 AM

Agree completely with Walter. Life is too short to ride lifeless (Continental) tires.

Michelin or Vittoria for me. Very happy with the ride quality of both.

Reply to topic    

Sparky

10/22/14 11:28 AM

"lifeless (Continental) tires"

See, I don't find the Black Chili GPS lifeless at all. Not sublime, but for weight and grip I keep getting them for my go fast applications. [bike which I am supposed to go fast on].

I do think that describes the Gator and to a lesser degree the All Seasons. I put those on steel bike that you feel the tires less with anyway.

The Scott with 23 frt, 25 rear at 85/87 lbs rides beauteous. And there is not a situation I would push it over further than I probably should. I get good wear out of them as well. So last time I could get them for 35.00 ea. I got 5. And still had 3 wheelset with them on the road. FWIW, definitely like these..
For 35.00 each I like them that much better. ;)

sandiway

10/22/14 11:42 AM

quote:
You might give the Paves a try then, this is where they shine. Well, and ride quality as well. Weight, not so much. ;)

I ride 650c on my single bike (gathering dust), 20" on my Bike Friday (gathering dust), and 26" on our tandem (used 3 times a week). No 700c in the house...

Sandiway

Reply to topic    

Andy M-S

10/22/14 3:16 PM

Not a fan of Continental

I have tried and disliked a few Continentals. IME they tend to run surprisingly narrow, and they ride uncomfortably hard.

Michelins, by comparison, tended to run true to size or a little large, and tended to be comfortable.

These days, I ride non-kevlar Panaracer Paselas, which are cheap and comfortable. Oh the joys of living in a state with a good bottle law!

Sparky

10/22/14 3:45 PM

And I found the 3Ks rode the best, in a 25C. The 4K a not so close second that I can live with. A couple Ultras and others lower in the line that came in on stuff, harsh and then some.

KerryIrons

10/22/14 7:17 PM

Conti width

quote:
IME they tend to run surprisingly narrow

On Velocity Aerohead rims, Conti GP 4000s are 23 mm wide in a 23 mm tire, and 25 mm wide in a 25 mm tire. Can't speak to other Conti models or other rims.

Last edited by KerryIrons on 10/23/14 6:51 PM; edited 1 time in total

Reply to topic    

Sparky

10/22/14 7:38 PM

I find the GP4 Black Chili run a touch big. The red GP4 23s I had ran small.

25C GP4 on HED Belgium is 27.8mm the 23C GP4 on the front with same rims is 25.6mm, These been on there for a while and presumably as stretched out as they are going to get.

The All season 28C is near the same size as GP4 25 on my A23 rims. Not even a 28 on a wide rim. ;)

Is that what Eric Meant? Not true to size I am wondering..

mag7

10/22/14 8:09 PM

Just received a set of Hutchinson Fusion 3 "special edition" tires which seems to have good reviews. Good price right now, too but only available in 23mm.

http://www.performancebike.com/bikes/Product_10052_10551_1168130_-1___400478

mag7

10/24/14 9:05 AM

First longish ride on the Hutchinson Fusion 3's and must admit they have a much softer ride than the Conti 4000s II I have been riding. Was thinking during the ride if Charmin made a bike tire this would be it - soft and comfortable.

The difference was so great that my bar end mirror that normally vibrates out of position over known sections of rough pave stayed in place with the Fusions.

Also tore off the velox rim strip and went with a layer of Stan's Rim tape which makes mounting a 23c tire on a 25mm box rim much easier.

My new fav wheelbuilder recommends Stan's Rim tape whether or not running tubeless or not.

I'll give a shout out to Dustin Gaddis who just built a set of 29'er wheels using White Industry hubs on Velocity Arrowhead rims..

Southern Wheelworks based in Augusta, GA.
http://southernwheelworks.com/

greglepore

10/24/14 1:39 PM

Contis are durable but ride hard. Their tubies are the same way. Vittoria Open Pro's are much smoother, but more expensive and wear faster. I'm firmly in the Vittoria camp, even though they're never on sale.

Brian Kelly

10/24/14 1:39 PM

OT, but one of those "it's a small world" moments...

In the picture on the About Me page for Southern Wheelworks, the guy following Dustin is a mechanic at the shop I used in Birmingham.

dan emery

10/24/14 2:03 PM

may be seeking new road tires

I've been using Grand Bois for awhile, and had Challenge on the new bike. All ride great. The sidewall on one Challenge delaminated during a ride, saw other similar complaints here and elsewhere on the interwebs, no more Challenge for me. I've become a little less enchanted with the Grand Bois, some seem not round or to go out of round, seem hard to get on and off the wheel at times, plus more flats than I usually get. All of these issues could be anomalous, but together they lead me to think of looking elsewhere.

Used to ride Michelins, never ridden Vittoria clinchers, haven't ridden Contis in years (used to use Sprinters in tubie days, they had issues). The Hutchinson 650b 32s I put on my rando bike ride super, haven't put enough miles on for a feel for durability. I love the Compass 26" 1.75 tires on my commuting bike, may look at their clinchers (they have one that sounds great but the light weight gives me some pause).

I used to be in the camp of go for the best ride, flats be damned, but I am reconsidering that as getting a flat in an event is undesirable. I tend to think flats are caused because you hit something that causes a flat, not because you have a crappy tire, but I'm rethinking that a bit as well.

More answerless questions to ponder for the winter!

Reply to topic    

dan emery

10/27/14 2:08 PM

another damn flat

Another flat with a Grand Bois yesterday, just as I was rolling out my driveway. I found the hole (kept the tire on the rim when I pulled the tube out), it was tiny with nothing in it. I had heard a tick with each revolution, put my hand down to brush off the tire, the tick stopped and then the tire went flat. So I think I brushed off whatever caused the flat. Replaced the tube and finished the ride without further incident.

I'm thinking maybe those tires go a bit too far for my use in emphasizing supple ride over flat protection.

I may try a midrange tire like a Rubino or a Lithion - they should be better on flats than the top line racing tires, no? I don't know if I will notice a significant difference in the ride or not, only one way to find out. A high quality tire that looks interesting to me is the Schwalbe No. 1 - anyone try those?

Also maybe I'll experiment with the glop Brian uses.

Seem I've heard a number of people complaining about a higher incidence of flats this year.

Reply to topic    

Sparky

10/27/14 4:05 PM

Try the Paves, @ 50.00 a pop at PBK it was my alternative to the Challenges and Compass choices. I can say I like them a lot. Finding myself taking the bike they where on unless I was taking the Rocket/Scott.

They feel like a beefy CX to me. Which is basically what they are really... With a very reinforced casing. Open tubular design, 320 tpi, 80% cotton and 20% kevlar IIRC.

My Paves and Disc Roubaix duty today? Boy there was a lot of wind blown crap, and this was the good section. ;) I would have turned around on my Scott. ;) Well I would not have even taken it out today really.

Return to CyclingForum Home Page CYCLING TECH TALK FORUM
           View New Threads Since My Last Visit VIEW THREADS SINCE MY LAST VISIT
           Start a New Thread

Last Thread | Next Thread  >  

If you enjoy this site, please consider pledging your support

cyclingforum.com - where cyclists talk tech
Cycling TTF Rides Throughout The World

Cyclingforum is powered by SYNCRONICITY.NET in Denver, Colorado -