CYCLINGFORUM.COM - Where Cyclists Talk Tech --- Return To Home

Register FAQ'sSearchProfileLog In / Log Out

cyclingforum.com ****

HOMECLUBS | SPONSORS | FEATURESPHOTO GALLERYTTF DONORS | SHOP FOR GEAR

Return to CyclingForum Home Page CYCLING TECH TALK FORUM
          View posts since last visit

Pretty useful 'wind' forecasting web site.

Author Thread Post new topic Reply to topic
Sparky

10/7/14 11:43 AM

Pretty useful 'wind' forecasting web site.

http://wind.willyweather.com

Reply to topic     Send e-mail

ErikS
Location: Slowing boiling over in the steamy south, Global Warming is real

10/7/14 6:58 PM

I just look at the trees and flags outside.

I don't plan my rides around the wind, unless I am on a Strava segment hunt. ;)

Sparky

10/7/14 7:01 PM

I plan which direction I may or may not go. The gorge and a few fav routes that run closer can be bad.

Marine drive runs along the Columbia gorge, and some of the most extreme winds I have experienced are there. ;)

KerryIrons

10/7/14 7:21 PM

Planning

quote:
I don't plan my rides around the wind

Boy, we sure do. There's lots of open farm land around here and there are certain rides that are let's say "unrewarding" if you venture out on a windy day and the wind is from the wrong direction with significant speed. We can ride only half the compass (SW to NE) because the rides in the other direction are a combination of congestion and crap roads.

In our new location we will be in the same situation but instead blocked from going anywhere west (Lake Michigan is 5 miles west of us so we can go north, south, or anywhere easterly. We'll learn what routes are better on windy days and will always ask before we head out "Which direction is the wind, and how fast?"

Reply to topic    

Sparky

10/7/14 7:36 PM

We'll learn what routes are better on windy days and will always ask before we head out "Which direction is the wind, and how fast?"

I hear ya!

Maybe that is why Erik looks so fast on Strava, never has a head wind? ;)

ErikS
Location: Slowing boiling over in the steamy south, Global Warming is real

10/8/14 2:40 AM

Oh, I have wind and if I have "wind doping' on a segment I say it there. That tends to be the norm with the other local Strava users. It is easy to spot abnormal performance for a rider who uses the app consistently.

My area has a constant light wind from the southwest. So common that our runways only run north/south 04/22. I know that and most of my rides are just big circles so planning based on wind is useless. Unless I am chasing a segment. ;)

I have dropped time a certain short yet brutal test segment (Hill) by over 10 seconds in the last 2 weeks. Because of weight training not wind doping. Moved up 2 places on the leader board too. The really skinny guys kill me on it. They all weigh 10 kilos less than me.

I am not that strong folks. The proof is there.

http://app.strava.com/athletes/143321

April

10/8/14 12:16 PM

I do keep wind SOMEWHAT in my mind when planning rides. But the area I ride, wind isn't really that big of an issue. We have hills here! :D

Hills around here block the wind without funneling it. So the climbing is the main concern and wind really is a secondary issue. It's only on REALLY windy days (> 25mph) that I start to pay attention.

And once the wind goes over 30mph, most of us around here stop riding (or take to the woods)! Reason being that's relatively rare we have such high wind so why bother? ;-)

There're some areas around me that is quite open. There, the wind would be a factor. But since I really don't enjoy riding on the flats, I tend not to plan rides there. The only occasion would be group rides going there. That's when I check the wind forecast and stay home if it's suspect.

Now if you ask me where to paddle my kayak and how's the wind is like over each and every patch of water, I can tell you a whole lot more! :D

Return to CyclingForum Home Page CYCLING TECH TALK FORUM
           View New Threads Since My Last Visit VIEW THREADS SINCE MY LAST VISIT
           Start a New Thread

Last Thread | Next Thread  >  

If you enjoy this site, please consider pledging your support

cyclingforum.com - where cyclists talk tech
Cycling TTF Rides Throughout The World

Cyclingforum is powered by SYNCRONICITY.NET in Denver, Colorado -