HOMECLUBS | SPONSORS | FEATURESPHOTO GALLERYTTF DONORS | SHOP FOR GEAR

Return to CyclingForum Home Page CYCLING TECH TALK FORUM
          View posts since last visit

Mirrors

Author Thread Post new topic Reply to topic
Andy M-S

9/27/14 3:15 PM

Mirrors

About ten years ago, I bought my first helmet with a visor, a Bell Muni (it's the same model that's been through multiple namings, currently the Piston, IIRC).

After just over a year, the latest version failed when the plastic webbing holding the adjustment mechanism came apart.

Now, for 9 years, I've fastened the same TAL mirror to the visor, and it's been a very happy relationship. I got so used to seeing behind me that this morning, when I rode down to the LBS to get a new helmet, I felt very nervous at not having a rearward perspective in the corner of my eye--I kept glancing to the place the mirror should have been.

Anyway, I ended up buying a Lazer Sport Armor helmet in fluorescent radioactive piss yellow (it's weird; it sits low on the head and fits fairly close. It also has a very simple strap attachment and no fancy rear adjuster). But with no visor, it has no way to attach the mirror. I'm working on alternatives, but all of them depend on getting some 1.6mm stainless rod to extend the TAL.

Assuming I can't get that, does anyone have any recommendations for great helmet-mount mirrors?

Reply to topic     Send e-mail

Sparky

9/28/14 3:07 PM

I use the inside lens/glasses mounted mini-mirror. So other than what I see others use and comment about... The shaking of the ones suspended out seem to be the complaint I hear. So not sure what ones do and do not, only that the mini inside the lens does not shake the image.

Dave B

9/28/14 4:50 PM

I've tried every possible mirror type and could never get comfortable with helmet or eyeglass temple mounted mirrors. I finally settled on the Third Eye bar end mirrors and have them on all of my bikes.

ErikS
Location: Slowing boiling over in the steamy south, Global Warming is real

9/28/14 5:25 PM

I can't fathom putting a mirror right by my eye. During a wreck I would be afraid it would blind me.

I look under my arm or just turn my head. I also ride with my ears, NEVER use earbuds for music while I ride. I tried it and even on the back roads I ride I felt disconnected along with the wind noise just drowned out the music.

Sparky

9/28/14 5:35 PM

"I look under my arm or just turn my head."

I hate doing that after I get warmed up, smell is terrible.

I guess if you mashed your glasses the right way you could get poked in the eye with it. Not glass of course.
But your helmet sticks out way past the glasses. Not that I do not appreciate the sentiment. ;)

April

9/28/14 5:49 PM

quote:
I can't fathom putting a mirror right by my eye. During a wreck I would be afraid it would blind me.

You wear cycling glasses, I presume?

That's made of impact resistant plastic, usually far stronger than the mirror holders are made of. If the mirror poke into your eyes, it's because it broke your glasses. In that case, you have the broken pieces of glasses to worry about. The mirror wouldn't be your main issue.

rickhardy
Location: Needham outside of Boston - the hub of the universe

9/29/14 4:13 AM

You'll poke your eyes out

Reply to topic    

ErikS

9/29/14 4:38 AM

i try to wear glasses. Here in the Steamy South they don't last but about 20 minutes due to sweat filling the lenses. So they come off....

In AZ that was never an issue.

Andy M-S

9/29/14 4:59 AM

Eyes

I wear glasses. Always. I tried to get cycling glasses with inserts, but there was no way to make the inserts fit. So I wear glasses (and that's one reason the itty-bitty corner mirrors don't work for me). Having stuff in front of my eyes is not an option.

The one time I did a face-down crash (superman, 10 years ago, broken jaw & concussion), my helmet (Specialized) took the damage. My glasses weren't even bent up, and were slightly scraped along the top edge, but not bad enough to require replacement.

Anyway, I've used a Take-a-Look for almost ten years, but with a modified mount. I love it. I can see what's behind and to my left, and I only need to move my head a little.

I hooked something up on the new helmet with some heat-shrink tubing and a length of wire, but it needs more work. It'll get there.

Sparky

9/29/14 9:56 AM

"I try to wear glasses. Here in the Steamy South they don't last but about 20 minutes due to sweat filling the lenses."

I wear contacts, so cycling glasses over is not optional. The wind will dry out an eye to the point of lens problems. Blink, lens gone...

Sweat dripping into eyes with contacts also big issue.

Thus, the Halo headband is the solution for me. It has that strip that runs across the brow that keeps sweat from getting in my eye with 100% efficiency. YMMV, but I doubt it. ;)

ErikS

9/29/14 10:02 AM

Tried the halo headband and filled it up just as fast.

Sparky

9/29/14 10:04 AM

Supposed to run out the sides and not in the eyes. I can tell by the salt buildup dried at the sides of my eyes it is doing that. Although I am not conscious of it while riding.

Brian Nystrom

9/29/14 2:30 PM

Ears and Halos

I'm with Sparky on the mirror thing. After 40 years of riding without one, I just don't feel the need. I've never been in a traffic situation where a mirror would have helped me. Obviously, this is all about personal preference, but it seems that the people I know who use mirrors always have more horror stories about accidents and near misses than people who don't. Which came first, I don't know...

I've used Halo headbands for years and I really liked the originals, but at some point they changed the material to something that's more like neoprene and they made them wider. The result is the the headband retains heat to an uncomfortable degree, though it still does a good job of keep sweat out of my eyes. I've been trying alternatives, but haven't found a good one yet.

Reply to topic    

Nick Payne

9/29/14 2:55 PM

I use the Cycleaware helmet mirror. This one: http://www.cycleaware.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=1 . The mirrror can be easily datached from the mount for situations such as putting the helmet in a suitcase when travelling.

I find it most useful on group rides on single lane roads, where the mirror makes it easy to give enough warning for the group to single out when a car is approaching from behind. And I reckon it's saved my neck a number of times by giving me enough warning to swerve out of the way when a bloody-minded motorist tries to overtake where there's not room to do so. Unfortunately there's a considerable number of those arseholes on Australian roads. A friend who recently returned from a month of cycle-touring in the US commented on his return how he found US motorists more considerate.

A mirror is useful in races as well - if I'm in a break I don't have to turn my head to see if I'm gaining or getting pulled back.

Last edited by Nick Payne on 9/29/14 10:49 PM; edited 1 time in total

Reply to topic    

April

9/29/14 6:07 PM

Take-a-look

I've found the best one that works for me is the take-a-look. It gives me the best view with the least amount of eye strain.

That said, I rarely use it!

Not that I don't appreciate the benefit. But I just NEVER gotten used to it being there. I found it annoying in blocking my view of the countryside! I've used it for a while when I used to ride along roads that has a few cars coming occasionally. It's nice to have "advance notice" of a car coming from far behind. (surprisingly, I found it not nearly as useful when in traffic)

Still, I just never got used to a little square blocking a part of my view. Stupid, I know. But my brain just refused to be train on that bit!

Now that I don't ride on roads that have much traffic at all, I just leave it at home. Occasionally, I wish I have it. But I also know I'd be annoyed by it the rest of the ride when it's not much use.

mag7

10/5/14 11:09 AM

Cateye Racing Mirror lives on my bar end - can't imagine riding without it. Motorists see it too and when a car approaches I turn my head for a quick glance which I'm convinced yields a wider berth by at least some motorists.

Return to CyclingForum Home Page CYCLING TECH TALK FORUM
           View New Threads Since My Last Visit VIEW THREADS SINCE MY LAST VISIT
           Start a New Thread

Last Thread | Next Thread  >  

If you enjoy this site, please consider pledging your support

cyclingforum.com - where cyclists talk tech
Cycling TTF Rides Throughout The World

Cyclingforum is powered by SYNCRONICITY.NET in Denver, Colorado -