CYCLINGFORUM.COM - Where Cyclists Talk Tech --- Return To Home

Register FAQ'sSearchProfileLog In / Log Out

cyclingforum.com ****

HOMECLUBS | SPONSORS | FEATURESPHOTO GALLERYTTF DONORS | SHOP FOR GEAR

Return to CyclingForum Home Page CYCLING TECH TALK FORUM
          View posts since last visit

Actually bought a new bike... As in new from LBS.
 Goto page Previous  1, 2

Author Thread Post new topic Reply to topic
Tim123

9/4/14 2:11 AM

"i guess I am wondering which bike, SL? and ##R etc." - was this a question for me?

From what I can gather, there are also differences in the way Specialized manufacture their frames between the upper end models (S-Works and Expert using FACT IS) and the lower end frames using FACT TM which allows them to tune the frames slightly differently as well.

http://www.specialized.com/bc/microsite/fact/fabrication.html#/manufacturing-methods

Reply to topic    

Sparky

9/4/14 4:04 AM

That info is 4 years old FWIW.

The 2014 Base Roubaix claims 'FACT 8r carbon frame' So I wonder where Triple Monocoque is still used. All the Tarmac line also now are FACT even the base sport.

Where as the only the carbon Secteur does not claim FACT construction for current carbon. Not sure where FACT vs FACT IS comes into play, even the flat bar Carbon Sirrus claims Fact 9, but not SL4. Those are also like SL4 a new tube shape set blah...

They used to say AZ1 construction for non FACT models, just hard to differentiate year to year model to model. I thought AZ1 was the triple mono-c, is AZ1 even used anymore and is.was AZ1 = TM, dunno.

Also noticed the site says 'Specialized Roubaix FACT carbon full monocoque' for the fork on the 2014 and the 2015 says 'Specialized Roubaix FACT carbon' including the S-Works. So just text different text, or fork too? Again, I dunno.

Reply to topic     Send e-mail

Sparky

9/4/14 4:34 AM

Sep 14, 2012 08:22AM PDT

Fact TM uses a triple monocoque process to create the frame (vs. Fact IS using double monocoque sections). Fact TM is a newer process that allows us better control over the inner finish, carbon compaction and wall thickness; the ability to reduce joints, and moving the existing joints away from high stress areas.

TM replaced AZ1?? Dunno.

dddd

9/4/14 9:51 AM

Heh, I say test it and find out.

Oh, yeah, already underway!

The details are all in how it rides... :-)>

No complaints here on any Spesh frames I've owned, beyond the oft-painful (while climbing) geometry of my early-80's Stumpjumper.

I picked up a first-source Specialized Allez recently, built by the legendary Yoshi Konno. Detail photo here, but sorry I didn't photograph the whole bike in any presentable manner. :-(

Reply to topic    

Sparky

9/4/14 12:16 PM

Is that red faded or supposed to be off like that. looks cool on my monitor anyway. Like. ;)

I am not brand patriotic myself. But Spesh wise in the garage as I type this, 90s Steel stmpJmpr, 2012 Sirrus Gravel beater proj., 05 Roubaix, and disc Roubaix. Everything else is one of a brand.

But the Roubaix is really a fit thing. It is one of the few 58s I ave ridden that is big for a 58. which is why I like it as it fits. 12-15 years ago I could not have got the bars low enough on one. But we all know how that goes.

The Tarmac guy I finished the ride yesterday with told me he had a Roubaix for a few seasons and never felt like it fit him. The Tarmac in the same size he said is spot on and glad he traded in the Roubaix.

I totally get that, a 58 Allez feels too small for me.
But it seems A LOT of +58 CM frames of the RR ilk do not get commensurate WB length. So perhaps a bigger CG window on the longer WB Roubaix also makes the fit more at home for big riders, just a thought.

Sparky

9/5/14 8:44 PM

For the thread and regarding Specialized's gel handlebar system of tape, wedge and the gel pads on the tops. There is a wedge that broadens the tops so the gel pad is sitting on mostly a flat area and has a slot for the cable to be run under it.

I kept all that and did not think about it. On the Wednesday ride when we got back almost to the car I saw a gal shaking her hands to un-numb. Only then I realized I had not done that for the entire ride. And I do that usually a few time a ride, especially in the wind with a death grip employed. It may have to do with my huge hands having the flatter top, but pretty sure the Gel made an impact, or decreased impacts, as it were...

Return to CyclingForum Home Page CYCLING TECH TALK FORUM
           View New Threads Since My Last Visit VIEW THREADS SINCE MY LAST VISIT
           Start a New Thread

Goto page Previous  1, 2  
Last Thread | Next Thread  >  

If you enjoy this site, please consider pledging your support

cyclingforum.com - where cyclists talk tech
Cycling TTF Rides Throughout The World

Cyclingforum is powered by SYNCRONICITY.NET in Denver, Colorado -