HOMECLUBS | SPONSORS | FEATURESPHOTO GALLERYTTF DONORS | SHOP FOR GEAR

Return to CyclingForum Home Page CYCLING TECH TALK FORUM
          View posts since last visit

29'er as gravel grinder?
 Goto page Previous  1, 2

Author Thread Post new topic Reply to topic
Sparky

9/3/14 7:42 PM

light Aluminum with carbon forks, and with 42C tire you are not going to feel the frame @ 45 lb.

But I made my points, so last word for me in the thread.

Ciao

Reply to topic     Send e-mail

Brian Nystrom

9/3/14 9:30 PM

This forum is clearly not road only

All of us ride road bikes and some of us do so exclusively. Consequently, there is less MTB expertise here than road, but I've never seen anyone here belittle MTBs or mountain bikers. In fact, I'd say the treatment of every type of bike and rider here is very even handed. This is in stark contrast to the demeaning crap that I routinely see slung at roadies on MTB forums and even in print.

I don't know what April read into my post, but I really like my 29er. I fortunately have the option of choosing between it and my 'cross bike for dirt road rides and I chose the latter for specific reasons. It wasn't perfect, but I felt that it was the better compromise for this type of riding.

In my experience, a cross/gravel bike makes a very acceptable road bike with minimal modification (really just tires). However, it really can't replace a mountain bike for single track riding around here where trails tend to be bony and can be quite technical. A 29er can be adapted for dirt roads, but if you really want it to sub for a 'cross/gravel bike without significant compromises, extensive modifications are required.

That's what I was trying to point out. I certainly wasn't belittling any type of bike or April's question.

Reply to topic    

April

9/3/14 9:36 PM

Brian

quote:
I don't know what April read into my post, but I really like my 29er.

I wasn't talking about your post. Your post was the one offering the most informed and balanced opinion.

Also, I didn't imply about any belittlement of mtn bikes, just a lack of informed opinions, which is somewhat understandable since only relatively few forum member ride mtn bike.

quote:
A 29er can be adapted for dirt roads, but if you really want it to sub for a 'cross/gravel bike without significant compromises, extensive modifications are required.

To clarify a little. I'm not suggesting 29'er as a "replacement" for cross bike. But rather, I was wondering would a 29'er be good on dirt roads such as those found on D2R2 (which has very little pavement).

I do lead occasional dirt road rides in my area. And have seen riders coming on both touring & mtn bikes in addition to crossers. But so far only 26" mtn bikes. So I was naturally curious as to how 29'ers would fair on dirt/gravel road courses.

For a few of them, roadies who already have a decent road bike, it's a hard sell to justify another road-capable bike. Competing against a 29'er which they can use for true off-roading, probably a BETTER bike than their existing 26" mtn bike.

I confess I probably wouldn't have build my CX bike had I not already got a whole box full of road components, including 700C wheels (from an insurance replacement) in need of a frame to hang them on! Without that box of components, I probably would have put the money towards a 29'er dualie (and missing out all the dirt road fun but have more time to ride single tracks) I even consider selling my road bike to use the money for a 29'er dualie but realize it won't fetch much money anyway. And since I have two homes, I could see the benefit of two road bikes.

dan emery

9/4/14 6:03 AM

Bikes of D2R2

For people who want to "ride what they have," I'd say they can ride anything they can get decent tires and gears onto. In general, I don't really notice a big difference with wheel size, and I ride bikes with 26", 650b and 700c.

Anyway, after finishing the ride, I got out my iPhone and snapped a few shots of bikes which interested me for one reason or another. As I said before, this is the Woodstock of cycling:

http://share.shutterfly.com/action/welcome?sid=1ActGblq5bsWGW

Reply to topic    

henoch

9/4/14 7:48 AM

Of course a 29'r would work, not saying its better (or worse) then other bikes, but it would work.
Last year I did the Iron Cross race on my Duel Suspension 29'r, just threw on some cross tires to minimize rolling resistance.
Was it the best tool for the job, I doubt it but it's what I have and I wasn't going to buy a new bike for 1 race so I did it.

Reply to topic    

April

9/4/14 9:27 AM

It's largely a forgone conclusion that cross bikes are the relative "best" tools for D2R2. And for that matter, for mixed road/dirt road courses. That's not what I was asking. More like what would be doable and reasonably fun if you don't have a CX bike hanging in your garage gathering dust!

quote:
Last year I did the Iron Cross race on my Duel Suspension 29'r, just threw on some cross tires to minimize rolling resistance.

Henoch, what was the most you wish to be differently on that ride?

Many of the D2R2 riders did their first ride with whatever bikes they have and before they build a dedicated bike for it (and used on many of the other similar rides that has since become popular)

As Dan's picture shows, a lot of other bikes were also present in D2R2. And as the organizer pointed out, D2R2 is a ride that no bike will be best at all sections. So it's more of a compromise, just a matter of what one is compromising on. A lot of that is a result of road choices. For D2R2, it's mostly dirt and little gravel, so cross bikes are best overall.

I recently led a mixed road/carriage road ride in the Gunks. One guy came on a touring bike with 28mm road tires on. He had no trouble handling the surface, and promptly left us in dust once we hit the final paved descend. On the several gravel stretches, ALL of us had to struggle and he didn't struggle any worse than those of us on cross bikes. No, he's not some unknown super strong ex-racer, I ride with him on other group rides. Just one example that different bikes can be equally fun for a given course.

I also show the group the single track loop I'd like to incorperate for our next outing. I didn't think his bike would be fun on that but he felt differently and will probably try it with us. The guy with a (26'er) mtn bike, whom we dropped on the paved descend, were salivating on the prospect of some (smooth) narrow twisty single track! Another example of different mixture of surfaces changing what's "best tool" (rather "most fun" tool). I do wonder though, if he were on 29'er, would he hang with us better on the faster stretch?

henoch

9/4/14 9:34 AM

I'd have liked a bike that was 10 pounds lighter, and one that didn't bounce on the climbs.
Like I said, I was able to do the race on that bike and beat plenty of people, but was it the right bike for the job? absolutely not, having said that I still had a good time and wasn't about to buy a bike for 1 race.
If you have a spare 2 grand laying around by all means by a bike for 1 ride.

Henoch, what was the most you wish to be differently on that ride?

Reply to topic    

dfcas

9/4/14 9:43 AM

April

"
I wasn't talking about your post. Your post was the one offering the most informed and balanced opinion.

Also, I didn't imply about any belittlement of mtn bikes, just a lack of informed opinions, which is somewhat understandable since only relatively few forum member ride mtn bike."

I started mountain biking in 1993 and have owned at least a dozen mtb's, including at least 5 29'ers. I started riding 29'ers in 2002 and for years I considered myself more mtb'er than roadie.

You may consider my opinion uninformed and thats your right to do so. I didn't go into more details like for you, who would ride a small or extra small frame,that the head angle is even more slack to avoid toe overlap, making it handle less well for high speed sections.

You asked a question and people on here answered it. You didn't like the answer and lashed out.
I'm done.

April

9/4/14 10:17 AM

You did point out a geometry difference. And you go on to say.

quote:
Would it work? yes. Would I enjoy it? No.

I merely offer my personal perspective:

"That's certainly a personal perspective... my CX bike is also more sluggish than my road bike yet it somehow doesn't dampen my fun on it"

From Henoch: "was it the right bike for the job? absolutely not, having said that I still had a good time". That's another personal perspective.

If you consider my response as "lashing out", I'm sorry you feel that way.

Return to CyclingForum Home Page CYCLING TECH TALK FORUM
           View New Threads Since My Last Visit VIEW THREADS SINCE MY LAST VISIT
           Start a New Thread

Goto page Previous  1, 2  
Last Thread | Next Thread  >  

If you enjoy this site, please consider pledging your support

cyclingforum.com - where cyclists talk tech
Cycling TTF Rides Throughout The World

Cyclingforum is powered by SYNCRONICITY.NET in Denver, Colorado -