HOMECLUBS | SPONSORS | FEATURESPHOTO GALLERYTTF DONORS | SHOP FOR GEAR

Return to CyclingForum Home Page CYCLING TECH TALK FORUM
          View posts since last visit

You don't have to be skinny

Author Thread Post new topic Reply to topic
Pat Clancy

8/25/14 10:02 AM

You don't have to be skinny

I met a gentleman today while shopping. I should have thought to get a picture. I was just leaving the store and he was loading groceries onto a custom sidecar attached to a Surly Big Dummy.

See: http://surlybikes.com/bikes/big_dummy

The bike had been modified with a Stokemonkey electric motor installed in the secondary triangle and the battery was in a water proof housing under the rear rack.

The sidecar was custom made and was carrying two large bins, stacked one atop the other. On the front rack was a chainsaw in a holster with the blade running down alongside the wheel. I talked to the owner and he does extensive trail maintenance in the area, concentrating on the East Coast Greenway.

And that brings me to the owner - he was huge! I hesitate to call him fat, but even “barrel chested” doesn’t do him justice. Although only 5’ 6” or so, he had to be 250+ lbs. The fact that he was grocery shopping in my neighborhood implies he must live somewhere nearby, but I had never seen him before on the road or trail. He said that he has completed the full length of the ECG and made several other extensive touring trips.

More power to him!

Reply to topic     Send e-mail

ErikS
Location: Slowing boiling over in the steamy south, Global Warming is real

8/26/14 4:23 AM

I saw a 300+ pound man ride a full century last year and have seen 200+ women do it often. Large people who want to make life changes start where they are. A bike lets them get fit without trashing joints and knees. I always encourage large adults who want to make life and health changes to start on a bike.

dan emery

8/26/14 5:00 AM

Cool bike

I like cargo type bikes like that. Haven't seen one of those around.

Sure, big guys can get the pedals around. A great thing about cycling is that nearly anyone can do it, at whatever level works for them.

Reply to topic    

Sparky

8/26/14 9:20 AM

Seems like the folks whom never get out of the saddle on the local club rides keep the middle so to speak. By no means are they slow either. But quite a few motor up at the front for the entire ride. Some are big enough around the middle your first though on seeing them is they might struggle. So no, you do not have to be skinny. ;)

Utilitarian machines, especially in Portland proper, are common site. There are always some on craigslist being offered as a result of upgraded varieties. The Surly seems to be a stepping stone.

Last week we rode past a mom with 3 kids and groceries, Surly Big Dummy type custom and a trailer. She was lean and had some of the most beautiful developed/cut leg muscles prominent.

Yesterday on the I205 multi path a guy went by me on a noisy truck bike of some sort. He had no problem hauling ass on it either. I suspect he had a delivery aboard and a time to deliver it by. I would have had to put in some effort to stay with him had I wanted too.

If I was to guess, he had to be 80+ lbs bike plus cargo.

Return to CyclingForum Home Page CYCLING TECH TALK FORUM
           View New Threads Since My Last Visit VIEW THREADS SINCE MY LAST VISIT
           Start a New Thread

Last Thread | Next Thread  >  

If you enjoy this site, please consider pledging your support

cyclingforum.com - where cyclists talk tech
Cycling TTF Rides Throughout The World

Cyclingforum is powered by SYNCRONICITY.NET in Denver, Colorado -