HOMECLUBS | SPONSORS | FEATURESPHOTO GALLERYTTF DONORS | SHOP FOR GEAR

Return to CyclingForum Home Page CYCLING TECH TALK FORUM
          View posts since last visit

Telemarketer using my number

Author Thread Post new topic Reply to topic
dfcas

8/23/14 1:00 PM

Telemarketer using my number

Its called "caller ID spoofing" and its legal. One of ny customers called and told me my number came up on her caller ID and she answered, only to get a recorded message.

I googled it and it is becoming a national problem. Why is this legal?

Reply to topic     Send e-mail

dddd

8/23/14 2:27 PM

It seems that, more than ever before, politicians are answering to deep-pocketed corporate donors rather than to their constituents, so that legislation to restrict such activities is absent, or legislation allowing some such abuses gets rolled into bills that are so written so large so as not to ever be read, but are expected (by donors) to be signed by your "representative" house members.
Worse yet is that the various press outlets may keep quiet about the components of such packaged legislation.

Reply to topic    

Matthew Currie

8/23/14 4:20 PM

It's amazing that this stuff gets through. Earlier this year, we were troubled by constant, often a dozen a day, robocalls purporting to be coming from an automated fax number. Apparently just trying to get the numbers of phones that answer a ring. All the caller ID's differed, and were spoofed. The phone company itself was unable to do anything about this. They could not trace the calls or find out who really owned them. The government can tap your phone and read your mail and shoot you dead in the street, but they can't, or won't, stop gangs of criminals from stealing your money.

Reply to topic    

Sparky

8/23/14 4:23 PM

"won't, stop gangs of criminals from stealing your money."

Do the fucking math.

My tone not aimed directly at you. ;O

April

8/23/14 8:22 PM

quote:
Why is this legal?

It probably isn't legal but who's enforcing it?

quote:
The phone company itself was unable to do anything about this.

I suspect they CAN but just choose not to do anything about it!

dddd

8/23/14 9:14 PM

I continue to have a bad vibe about my phone/internet provider, ATT.

Seems they allow some folks to spam-call millions of their customers for years of the same pitch, even using the same number for months on end.

So has to be the math, with someone getting paid for allowing these billions of calls in violation of do-not-call legislation.

At least the email spammers seem to have to use different return address about every day, because we can denote their addy as spam.

Reply to topic    

dfcas

8/24/14 8:48 AM

Apparantly the technology was set up to allow battered spouses to call the batterer and not reveal their contact info. Also, doctors returning calls to patients and concealing their personal cell #. That type of thing, but due to the loopholes telemarketers are disguising their numbers.

I wonder if my contacts list or customer database has been hacked.

KerryIrons

8/24/14 6:59 PM

email from me

Along with the whole phone spam thing, over the years I have received spam email from my own email address. My account wasn't hacked - they somehow figured out how to make incoming email look like it came from me. It hasn't happened in a while so maybe that got fixed.

Reply to topic    

Return to CyclingForum Home Page CYCLING TECH TALK FORUM
           View New Threads Since My Last Visit VIEW THREADS SINCE MY LAST VISIT
           Start a New Thread

Last Thread | Next Thread  >  

If you enjoy this site, please consider pledging your support

cyclingforum.com - where cyclists talk tech
Cycling TTF Rides Throughout The World

Cyclingforum is powered by SYNCRONICITY.NET in Denver, Colorado -