HOMECLUBS | SPONSORS | FEATURESPHOTO GALLERYTTF DONORS | SHOP FOR GEAR

Return to CyclingForum Home Page CYCLING TECH TALK FORUM
          View posts since last visit

Fastest descending position

Author Thread Post new topic Reply to topic
Brian Nystrom

8/13/14 5:15 AM

Fastest descending position

While this test isn't exhaustive, it does point out that at least one of the crazy positions used by the pros really does make a serious difference.

http://www.roadbikereview.com/reviews/video-whats-the-fastest-downhill-tuck-position

Reply to topic    

greglepore

8/13/14 7:04 AM

Grumpy old man comment

I just wish all the *&^%$ wiseguys on the local group rides would descend in a normal position. Makes me nervous as hell when the guy in front/beside/behind me decides he needs to put one arm behind his back or lay on the bars. They want to do that crap solo, fine, but not around a group.

Rant off

Reply to topic     Send e-mail

Jesus Saves

8/13/14 10:06 AM

That's an interesting video. Thanks. One thing of note was the top speed was about 42mph for a 6% grade.

Some questions....

At that speed is one really "spun out" as they note. I'm too lazy to use a gear calc, but I would imagine depending on your gearing it can be pretty close to it, if not quite spun out.

You mentioned during a TdF stage that the fastest of the 3 really did not seem to make a difference. I agree. Notably at the speeds which they were descending it surely was much greater than 42miles/68k per hour. That is, at what speed does terminal velocity set in?

Reply to topic    

Sparky

8/13/14 10:12 AM

@ 210 lb, I don't try to go faster downhill honestly. I don't have to, or rather I have become too chicken and/or lack the motivation to go 40+ MPH anymore.

I used to love that shit too! ;)

dddd

8/13/14 11:42 AM

Not "spun out"

I use those long but modest downhills to hit mid-high-40's using only a 52-13t, can just hit 50 with a 12 in back.
Pedaling is absolutely required to get to even 40mph on these same grades.
So not spun out in the sense that pedaling is futile.

Reply to topic    

JohnC

8/13/14 12:35 PM

quote:
At that speed is one really "spun out" as they note. I'm too lazy to use a gear calc, but I would imagine depending on your gearing it can be pretty close to it, if not quite spun out.

Depends on your gearing and your spinning ability, of course. In a 53x11 that's about 110 rpm -- most roadies can spin a little faster than that.

dddd's 50 mph in 52x12 works out to about 146 rpm -- that's some spinning. Most riders can't really do that for more than a few seconds -- I've been around there descending on a FG, and that's a little wild.

Jesus Saves

8/13/14 12:43 PM

Agreed on not spun out. Close, but not spun out. (My message was not very clear.) At the time I wrote it, I was thinking of sprinters who hit speeds of 40+ mph and are obviously not spun out.

The video still has merit. The 40mph descents is more common/more relevant to those watching it - myself included. No criticism here. Good stuff.

The $64K question is if you are descending faster than 50mph, is there any benefit to one of those positions over the other? Perhaps there is if you are out in front - maybe, just maybe, but it does not appear to be so with a casual look. Somewhat behind another descending rider, with even a minimal amount of draft protection, like in the TdF alpine stages, probably not would be my guess.

Reply to topic    

Sparky

8/13/14 12:48 PM

"if you are out in front"

Of what/whom is the question maybe...

dddd

8/13/14 1:01 PM

""if you are out in front"

Of what/whom is the question maybe..."

I'm not into looking back to see when going this fast, but riding a rock-solid old Schwinn at least makes that possible.

Yes, I'm a spinner, preferring cranks @165-170mm.

I "shift gears" mentally when I'm spun out, sort of reads "another 5%" and suddenly accelerating smoothly/freely again to the next increment. I liken this to a change in "ignition timing". At some point though, the legs muscles cease to twitch off fast enough, seem to stay tight through the whole 360 degrees if that makes sense.

Reply to topic    

Jesus Saves

8/13/14 1:08 PM

"if you are out in front" - meaning no one is in front of you, directly or at an angle, to provide any wind resistance reduction.

Reply to topic    

sanrensho

8/13/14 1:09 PM

I do the 2nd tuck position with hands near the stem. However, the rider in the video isn't low/tucked enough.

My chin is _almost_ resting on the stem, and butt in front of the saddle (tip of saddle touching my backside).

Would like to see the aero data for the above position.

Reply to topic    

Sparky

8/13/14 2:24 PM

I forgot the sarcastic emoticon. ;)

sandiway

8/13/14 7:07 PM

Don't need a frickin' wind tunnel to do the test. Also they should've checked the ass-off-the-back-of-the-saddle and arms straight one that've often seen Nate Morgenstern do...

I'm sure we've all tried it before. Just use a fairly straight hill, climb it (for training), and roll down (for recovery) in various positions, and watch the bike computer.

Sandiway

Reply to topic    

KerryIrons

8/13/14 7:15 PM

Tight tuck

Bicycle Quarterly did some wind tunnel work on descending positions and found that the "hands on the bars at the stem, chin on the stem" position reduced CdA by 1/3 compared to riding in the drops, elbows slightly bent. The position that they showed with hands on the stem could have been significantly lower, so they didn't really get a full comparison with the "top tube" position.

I wonder what could be going on that some riders didn't go faster with the "top tube" position. I use the hands on the stem position when descending but would not consider the "top tube" position because of control issues (and probably discomfort issues too).

Reply to topic    

sandiway

8/13/14 7:18 PM

quote:
would not consider the "top tube" position because of control issues

Think it's fine until get to the curvy part of the hill. Somehow leaning to steer is much harder on the top tube position. Go figure...

Sandiway

Reply to topic    

ErikS
Location: Slowing boiling over in the steamy south, Global Warming is real

8/13/14 9:20 PM

I tried that top tube position a few weeks ago on a hill about like the one they describe. I won't do it again. The position is unstable on my bike and dangerous. Scary to say the least. If you have a quick handling Crit bike, don't do it.

sanrensho

8/20/14 12:32 AM

quote:
My chin is _almost_ resting on the stem, and butt in front of the saddle (tip of saddle touching my backside).

After I wrote the above, I realized that it doesn't make any sense.

Actually, I have my chin almost resting on the stem, and my butt _behind_the saddle with the tip of the saddle resting against my upper abdomen. This is still far more tucked and low than the rider in the Specialized video.

On flats, I've been experimenting with the aero tuck position lately (hands close together, elbows bent, upper arms resting on top of bars). Definitely a faster position, but the roads in my immediate area are rarely flat/smooth/straight enough to take advantage of it.

Reply to topic    

Return to CyclingForum Home Page CYCLING TECH TALK FORUM
           View New Threads Since My Last Visit VIEW THREADS SINCE MY LAST VISIT
           Start a New Thread

Last Thread | Next Thread  >  

If you enjoy this site, please consider pledging your support

cyclingforum.com - where cyclists talk tech
Cycling TTF Rides Throughout The World

Cyclingforum is powered by SYNCRONICITY.NET in Denver, Colorado -