HOMECLUBS | SPONSORS | FEATURESPHOTO GALLERYTTF DONORS | SHOP FOR GEAR

Return to CyclingForum Home Page CYCLING TECH TALK FORUM
          View posts since last visit

shifting problem and campy compatibility question

Author Thread Post new topic Reply to topic
zeke

7/31/14 7:50 PM

shifting problem and campy compatibility question

Wondering if someone can help with a shifting problem I've been having with my bike for too long.

When I stand out of the saddle, my bike shifts (slips?) up in gear. If I keep riding out of the saddle, it will keep shifting up 2-3 gears. It's annoying. I've changed the chain and the cassette with no change in the automatic shifting problem. People have suggested that the problem could be the shifter (Campy Chorus 10 speed, over 10 years old). Rebuilding the shifter is beyond me and I'm not sure I trust (or want to pay) a local shop with a rebuild.

Has anyone dealt with a similar problem? It looks like I could buy a new rear shifter online for ~$100-140. 1. Anyone think this would fix the problem? 2. Should all Campy 10 speed shifters be compatible with my existing components/derailleur? I would think that Campy 10 speed spacing = Campy 10 speed spacing. But maybe there's something else that could make it incompatible?

Thanks for the help!

Reply to topic    

ErikS
Location: Slowing boiling over in the steamy south, Global Warming is real

7/31/14 7:54 PM

Dude, that is the frame flexing. Check it for cracks if you have not gotten brute strong over the summer. Otherwise get a bike with a stiffer rear triangle. I had the problem with old Al Cannondales of all things. I could twist the BB on a 2.8 with ease. My Klein never did it and of course I can't twist my Cervelo (that thing has the stiffest rear triangle I have ever ridden, to a fault on rough roads)

Reply to topic     Send e-mail

dfcas

7/31/14 7:54 PM

I had this on my 9 speed ones, so I assume its the same with 10 speed. The g springs in the shifter need replaced. You can send them to dealers that do it a lot and get it back in a few days. There is a shop in Boulder Co that does tons of them.

Sparky

7/31/14 7:56 PM

Out of the saddle holding the bars and not the ergos too? Or only when you are holding the ERGOS?

Make sure the shifter is not loose on the bar is my first thought. Also, the housing end in the shifter may not be seated, I hope it is something simple like these things.

If the ERGO dropped on the bar, when you pull up you may be slacking the cable or some such thing...

I think I would be unwrapping the tape and inspecting housing for fray or not being seated first.

Agree with checking for frame cracks, separation, loose BB/cranks...

zeke

7/31/14 9:08 PM

quote:
Dude, that is the frame flexing. Check it for cracks if you have not gotten brute strong over the summer.

Ha! I wish it were newly found brute strength! Maybe newly found love handles. I'll definitely check the BB for cracks - I've done this in the past but not so recently.

Sparky - the shifting happens when I'm out of the saddle on the bars or on the ERGOS - I've made sure to try this without touching the ERGOs, and it still shifts.

I'll look around to see if someone local or far can do the rebuild. I hate to toss it and buy something new - but I'll be surprised if the rebuild is cheaper than the new Veloce shifters I've seen onine for $130ish...

Reply to topic    

Tom Price

7/31/14 9:20 PM

Sounds Like G Spring

Zeke,

It sounds like the G spring needs replacement. Any decent shop should be able to handle the repair as the Ergo levers are easy to work on and parts are readily available. This is not like my Dura Ace units. When the return spring broke on my Shimano 9 speed lever it was off to eBay for a used one.

The spring is part #4.

http://branfordbike.com/articles/campagnolo-ergo-lever-parts-1998-2008-pg71.htm

http://branfordbike.com/product/campagnolo-4-ergo-record-g-springs-right-side-pair-545.htm

Brian Nystrom

8/1/14 5:43 AM

I've done the rebuild several times

It's not the easiest job in the world and it requires attention to detail, but it's not bad. You can find detailed instructions online which you can review to determine if it's something you want to attempt. Twelve bucks worth of springs is a lot better than buying new shifters! Worst case, you're not likely to damage anything and you send your shifter(s) to a shop in pieces.

I agree with checking the cables, too. Campy cable housings are notorious for fraying at the ends. The plastic cover shrinks over time, exposing the wires. If they're otherwise in good shape, you can just trim off the exposed wires and reinstall them. However, if the cables are several years old, your best bet is to replace them. Don't waste your money on Campy replacements, there are better options. SRAM sells cables that are made exclusively for them by Gore (you can't buy Gore brand cables anymore) and the Professionals are outstanding. For less money, Jagwire makes decent cable sets and there are several other options.

Reply to topic    

greglepore

8/1/14 6:32 AM

What Tom and Brian said. The shifter rebuild is tedious the first time, but having done many of them they're second nature now.

Any competent shop is capable of the task. Since you're pulling the cables anyway, replace them as well.

G springs are consumables. Parts are less then 20 bucks here.

The rear Veloce shifter should be 100% compatible, the front not so much, as it should be paired with the newer "QS" fd, and you lose the trim feature. Personally, I wouldn't consider this option.

Jesus Saves

8/1/14 8:02 AM

Agreed about cable replacement for any type of index shifters, Campy, Shimano, etc. Replacing them regularly will save a whole bunch of headache, time and money. Its cheap to do and you benefit by not having your shifting degraded with worn cables (and dirty cable housing).

Reply to topic    

JohnC

8/1/14 9:29 AM

10 years and never rebuilt? G-springs. Classic symptom. Get 'em overhauled (and get new cables and housings). If you can do it yourself (I've done it 3 times on a 15-year-old Athena lever) it's a cheap deal for the parts, but even if you have to pay 50 bucks for labor it's worth it. They'll work like new.

walter

8/1/14 2:17 PM

consider yourself lucky

i had g-springs go flaccid after 2 seasons on my first 8spd ergos in the late '90s.

KerryIrons

8/1/14 6:55 PM

G springs again

Agree that it is G springs, and that the fix is not that tough either as a DIY or for any good shop to do.

Frame flex would result in one gear shift, and then it would probably shift back. What is happening to you is shift after shift after shift, so that says the shifter is letting cable out. No need to replace the derailleur or the shifters.

Reply to topic    

Campyman

8/4/14 7:21 AM

Campy Levers Rebuild

These is a great shop up in Boulder that I sent my levers to a few years ago to rebuild. It is called Vecchio's. fantastic old school shop. Stopped there this past January while at CX Nationals.

They are located on Pearl St, here is the link to their website -
http://www.vecchios.com/

I think they charged about $50 plus parts.

The rebuild isn't hard, I've done them in the past. Just didn't have the time when they needed to be redone.

Reply to topic    

walter

8/4/14 8:49 AM

rebuild @ vecchios ends up more like $100

but the work is well executed.

zeke

8/4/14 10:09 AM

Thanks for all the input!

I think I'll look for a local shop to try for the rebuild. If I were still in Denver, I'd drive them up to Vechios - but we're in Rochester, NY now. Tom Price, any good shop recommendations? I called one local shop (Towpath) that said they don't do the rebuild but could ship it out to have it done. But another shop (Full Moon Vista) estimated they could do it for ~$50 plus parts.

Reply to topic    

Tom Price

8/4/14 2:45 PM

Pedallers Bike Shop

Hi Zeke, I did not realize that you are in Rochester. The shop I use is Pedallers (334-1083). Ask for Bob or Steve. When I raced they sponsored our team. They will take good care of you. The techs there are mature and experienced and will have no problem with the rebuild. I do all my own work but they did my shifter there. I had visions of chasing little springs around the basement for 3 days and did not even attempt that one. If you call them say Hi to them for me!

Also if you are into different kinds of beer stop into Beers of the World a few doors south. This is a unique beer only store with 1500 different beers on the shelf. You can mix your own case or six pack to take home. Let me know if you want to get together for a ride after your shifter is fixed.

dan emery

8/4/14 3:50 PM

Ship out the rebuild?

That's not a real bike shop, right? A rental business or something?

Reply to topic    

April

8/4/14 8:50 PM

quote:
10 years and never rebuilt? G-springs. Classic symptom.

I must be pretty lucky. Hope I don't jinx myself. My Veloci shifter is from 1996! So far so good.

My local shop suggest I get the derailleur rebuild instead. They say there's excess play in the pulley arms. (which definitely has play, just not sure how much is "excessive")

Shifter still shifts and holds at whatever gear I wish. But the indexing is not as crisp as before. And I do notice it's getting progressively harder to keep them in proper working order.

Tom Price

8/5/14 7:35 AM

Towpath Bikes - Good Shop

Towpath is a good bike shop but high end or Campy equipped bikes are not a major part of their business. The shop is on the Erie Canal bikepath so the bikepath type of rider is the major part of their business. Every shop has it's own personality. I have stopped in a few times and have found them very helpful.

dddd

8/5/14 12:02 PM

fwiw, the price here in CA is $45 per lever.

I've done a few, and it's very straightforward.

Having to replace a cracked Ergolever body is one common reason to do a rebuild.

The bodies are cheap, except for the Record version with it's ball bearings, you have to buy the whole lever assembly minus the brake lever and hood. This lever "sub-assembly" then is a hundred dollars, but with all-new internals.

BTW, the G-springs are not the only springs that can fail in these levers, but are the most frequent failure in my experience.

I suppose the rate of G-spring failure is strictly proportional to the frequency of shifting.
The return spring lifespan likely are perhaps more affected by the lever throw, i.e. how many clicks that one does in a single throw.

Reply to topic    

Return to CyclingForum Home Page CYCLING TECH TALK FORUM
           View New Threads Since My Last Visit VIEW THREADS SINCE MY LAST VISIT
           Start a New Thread

Last Thread | Next Thread  >  

If you enjoy this site, please consider pledging your support

cyclingforum.com - where cyclists talk tech
Cycling TTF Rides Throughout The World

Cyclingforum is powered by SYNCRONICITY.NET in Denver, Colorado -