HOMECLUBS | SPONSORS | FEATURESPHOTO GALLERYTTF DONORS | SHOP FOR GEAR

Return to CyclingForum Home Page CYCLING TECH TALK FORUM
          View posts since last visit

Interesting new product

Author Thread Post new topic Reply to topic
Brian Nystrom

7/4/14 9:25 AM

Interesting new product

It's a new take on something that's been around for years (I think Tufo pioneered something similar):

https://patchnride.com/

If nothing else, the video is entertaining.

BTW, I couldn't get the site to work in Firefox.

Reply to topic    

Sparky

7/4/14 9:58 AM

Make your flat on the road go faster if it work. Question is how does it work?

Just love ambiguous adverts. Little detail that might be useful.. like does it eat batteries or some magic fluid which needs to be replenished. Weight of course for the weight weenie...

These days I carry two tubes and a spare tire in case of a really bad cut.

Reply to topic     Send e-mail

dfcas

7/4/14 12:28 PM

90+ % of the flats I get are a failed tube or snakebite, so this product would be of no value.

I can't remember the last time I removed an object from the outside that this product would work on.

dan emery

7/4/14 12:54 PM

Same result different reasons

I almost never get a snakebite flat, but I almost never pull an object out from the outside either. The few flats I get are usually a tiny piece of metal I can see and remove only from the inside. Nice Serotta though.

Reply to topic    

JohnC

7/4/14 4:00 PM

I agree. I can't see that it would often work. I rarely find the puncture from outside. They give you a "leak detector" which seems to be a soapy rag

Here's a review with some more details:
http://www.gizmag.com/patchnride-bicycle-flat-tire-repair-tool/32605/

Sparky, it uses a single-use "patch pod" -- 12 bucks a patch (about twice what I pay for a tube).

April

7/4/14 4:26 PM

What if you get a second flat?

Andy M-S

7/4/14 4:53 PM

I love the "it's green b/c you don't throw the tube away" bit. (1) who throws tubes away? (2) let's throw away tho junk-filled cartridge instead!

Sparky

7/4/14 5:34 PM

I paid 3.00 ea. for the last dozen. Right before I bought the R-Airs for 12.00 ea. Flatted one of the R_Airs. Now I am only running them on the front.

I have a small load of tubes that need to be patched. Flints and radial tire wire mostly so far this and last year. $12.00 per flat, eh? clearly aimed at the consumer that brings flats to the LBS to get fixed I would say...

As far as pinched, I can not remember the last time I had one of those. And it was off road when it did occur.

Last edited by Sparky on 7/4/14 6:05 PM; edited 1 time in total

Andy M-S

7/4/14 5:39 PM

taking it to the lbs

I once was in a guitar store when a fellow brought in a Martin to have it tuned...sort of the same approach.

KerryIrons

7/4/14 7:20 PM

Twofer

quote:
What if you get a second flat?

For me that occurrence is so rare that I probably could ride without any backup system and never notice. However as an engineer I cannot contemplate doing that, so I carry some Park instant patches. I have mostly used them to help other people but I do like having the comfort of knowing that I could deal with multiple flats.

Reply to topic    

Brian Nystrom

7/5/14 10:41 AM

Of course I would never buy one...

...and since I run sealant in everything, I don't need it. I guess I was more enamored of the video than the product.

Reply to topic    

Sparky

7/5/14 11:16 AM

Speaking of guitars, last Tele body out of my shop. A George Harrison Rosewood replica:

Andy M-S

7/5/14 12:06 PM

Oh, that IS nice

You even got the stripe in the sandwich! I do hope "last" means "latest"!

Sparky

7/5/14 12:25 PM

Yes, latest... sorry.. I have a few alder and even made a Jack pine body from a piece of the tree I cut down last year that was dead standing. ;) A true one piece Tele body I am watching to see if it stays straight. ;)

The George body is Black Walnut and white ash for the stripe. It is chambered as to avoid a more than 8 lb finished guitar. I have some of the same walnut for the neck and fretboard. The neck will have a fretboard instead on the one piece. With a double action truss rod, but an ornamental birds eye maple strip where the truss would go on a one piece. ;) Should be a nice piece when finished.

April

7/5/14 8:19 PM

twofers

quote:
For me that occurrence is so rare that I probably could ride without any backup system and never notice. However as an engineer I cannot contemplate doing that, so I carry some Park instant patches.

Murphy's law.

Without jinxing myself, I flat so rarely that I had in many occasions rode without a spare tube. Mind you, I didn't do it on purpose, just forgot the seatpack that has all the supplies in it. Upon realizing I had no spare, I simply continue riding further and further away from home rather than turning back to get it! After all, my ultimate back up is a taxi, which I fortunately never had to use.

But consider how easy it is to carry spare and a patch kit, I can't find much reason NOT carry them.

Return to CyclingForum Home Page CYCLING TECH TALK FORUM
           View New Threads Since My Last Visit VIEW THREADS SINCE MY LAST VISIT
           Start a New Thread

Last Thread | Next Thread  >  

If you enjoy this site, please consider pledging your support

cyclingforum.com - where cyclists talk tech
Cycling TTF Rides Throughout The World

Cyclingforum is powered by SYNCRONICITY.NET in Denver, Colorado -