HOMECLUBS | SPONSORS | FEATURESPHOTO GALLERYTTF DONORS | SHOP FOR GEAR

Return to CyclingForum Home Page CYCLING TECH TALK FORUM
          View posts since last visit

A different sort of wildlife encounter

Author Thread Post new topic Reply to topic
Nick Payne

6/20/14 5:06 AM

A different sort of wildlife encounter

In the past, while cycling, I've run over dogs and had to dodge cows and kangaroos and even the occasional snake, but this was a first: On Wednesday morning I was riding downhill on a bike path in quite thick fog, and a pair of Red Wattlebirds (they're about half the size of a feral pigeon) came flying towards me from the left, with the second bird appearing to be chasing the first just above ground level. I don't think the first bird saw me until it was too late, but it actually managed to fly under my bottom bracket, between the front and rear wheels. Its wing hit the back of my front wheel, but it kept flying and went up into a nearby tree, so I don't think it was much if at all injured.

Reply to topic    

robertsos

6/20/14 6:38 AM

That's one lucky Wattlebird. Pretty acrobatic move.

Regarding the other critters you've encountered, considering you're location, it's the snakes that would make me crazy. There are some pretty dangerous snakes down there.

Reply to topic    

Pat Clancy

6/20/14 7:43 AM

Snakebites

I understand that a snakebit tire won't survive more than a few minutes if not patched immediately.

Reply to topic     Send e-mail

dddd

6/20/14 8:06 AM

I once had a cat successfully dodge between the front and rear tires of my motorcycle, quite a feat considering the short wheelbase and low stance of the small bike (1977 RD400).
Was traveling about 30mph at the time, heading into Yorktown Heights.

I looked back and saw the cat make it to the other side of the road, tail intact!

Short-wheelbase cat, I guess.

Reply to topic    

Sparky

6/20/14 9:05 AM

"Short-wheelbase cat, I guess."

May have spent 2 lives on that one...

dan emery

6/20/14 11:00 AM

Cross threading

An argument for a high bottom bracket....

Reply to topic    

JohnC

6/20/14 11:10 AM

I had two chipmunks do that once. Coming from opposite sides of the road, they crossed simultaneously under the bottom bracket, almost head on, inches apart. Like the freakin' Blue Angels or something. It was so precise, they must have planned it.

Sparky

6/20/14 11:55 AM

"It was so precise, they must have planned it."

LOL, But did you stop and check for droppings? ;)

KerryIrons

6/21/14 7:00 PM

Cat flight

We had a cat hit the side of our pace line as it did a high speed road crossing (running from something apparently). It caught a rider's rear wheel spokes and was lifted up into the air and flung to the side of the road in the direction of its original "bee line." The cat actually got higher than the head of the riders. It was quite the stunning sight from further back in the pace line.

Reply to topic    

Sparky

6/21/14 7:04 PM

I had a darting squirrel slam into the side of my rear Zipp 404 back in NJ years ago. I remember thinking I was glad it was such a tall rim so as not to have him get in and scooped up.

RCoapman

6/25/14 10:37 AM

Same thing happened on my front 404. Squirrel slammed head-first into it. VERY lucky I had a tall rim....the same year I saw a dude at the now-defunct Millionaire's Row SR in Williamsport, PA get a squirrel in his front spokes. Ugly on all accounts. Squirrel was crushed and bent through the fork and of course the guy went flying over the bars....

Reply to topic    

PLee

6/25/14 11:37 AM

A pigeon hit my chain and crankset and feathers went flying. But it was nowhere to be found when I went back to look for it.

Had a six inch crayfish crossing the road in front of me once. I stopped and put it in my saddlebag to show my kids at home. Then returned it to the lake from whence it came.

Reply to topic    

Sparky

6/25/14 1:22 PM

"Had a six inch crayfish crossing the road in front of me once. I stopped and put it in my saddlebag to show my kids at home. Then returned it to the lake from whence it came."

If your location/tag said Norleans, LA, may have been a different outcome for the crawdad... ;)

JohnC

6/25/14 1:47 PM

quote:
If your location/tag said Norleans, LA, may have been a different outcome for the crawdad... ;)

Good eating, but they're little, so you need a mess of 'em. Just one, probably throw it back.

BTW, Sparky, where are you from that you call them "crawdads"? In Louisiana it's usually "crawfish" (I think the guys who catch them call them "mudbugs") and here in the East "crayfish." But out in Nevada I grew up saying "crawdad."

dan emery

6/25/14 2:43 PM

crawfish

A 6 incher probably looks like a small lobster. I saw about an 8 incher once in my pond, damndest looking thing. The dogs like to hunt them.

Reply to topic    

Sparky

6/25/14 3:00 PM

quote:
where are you from that you call them "crawdads"

NJ, but we went to KY a lot in the summers when I was little. But more likely I just watched the Beverly Hillbillies too much on TV as a kid. ;)

Buddy: Are you Granny?
Granny: Yeah.
Buddy: You the one who smokes crawdads?
Granny: Yeah. How'd ya know?
Buddy: Well I heard. Ya got any on ya?

Paul Datars

6/25/14 3:12 PM

Sally seems to have more wild life encounters than I...go figure. Two memorable ones. First, in a real fast group, so fast the only way she could hang in was to be in the aerobars a groundhog ran directly in front of her, she never missed a beat, just ran over it with both front and rear wheels and continued on her way in the aerobars...after that no one ever dared to complain if she used them IN the group.

Last year she had a Canada goose decide he just had to cross in front of her, on his feet...after banging into her front wheel several times before she managed to slow enough he passed and continued on his way. It was only when she got home that she noticed she and her bike were covered with feathers. Since it was a commuter bike it never gets cleaned (belt drive and internal gears) and a year later you could STILL find some feathers stuck here and there.

I once had an encounter with a Canada goose who for some reason was flying along the ditch at the edge of the road about 6 feet off the ground. Scared the shit out of me as he came up behind me, then as he passed I picked up the pace to stay with him. He eventually dropped my sorry ass when I got tired of doing 50 kph. It was crazy because he made it look so effortless, like he could do it all day and probably for thousands of miles too.

Sparky

6/25/14 3:36 PM

"a year later you could STILL find some feathers stuck here and there"

LOL, don't you clean them every year or two, even if they don't need it? ;)

dan emery

6/25/14 3:54 PM

Eating crawfish

Instructional video:

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=hBOzsqk7SNs

I love this song.

Reply to topic    

Nick Payne

6/25/14 5:15 PM

Several years back we came across a cray (they're known locally as yabbies) walking down a quiet suburban street about half a kilometre from where we live. It would have been about eight inches long. I manoeuvred it into a plastic bag and took it to a nearby large garden that I knew had a couple of ponds, where I released it and took this photo. I subsequently found out that yabbies can walk quite large distances - several kilometres if needed - across country between waterholes:

Reply to topic    

KerryIrons

6/25/14 7:19 PM

Crawdads?

You get a line and I'll get a pole, honey, honey

You get a line and I'll get a pole, babe, babe

You get a line and I'll get a pole,

We'll go down to the crawdad hole,

Honey, baby, mine.

Sing it!

Reply to topic    

rickhardy
Location: Needham outside of Boston - the hub of the universe

6/26/14 8:03 AM

Formal Attire

"A white sport coat and a pick crustacean"

Compliments of Jimmy Buffett.....

Reply to topic    

JohnC

6/26/14 7:24 PM

Doesn't it depend on the species of pothole?

quote:
I understand that a snakebit tire won't survive more than a few minutes if not patched immediately.

I was a bit slow getting this one, Pat.

Return to CyclingForum Home Page CYCLING TECH TALK FORUM
           View New Threads Since My Last Visit VIEW THREADS SINCE MY LAST VISIT
           Start a New Thread

Last Thread | Next Thread  >  

If you enjoy this site, please consider pledging your support

cyclingforum.com - where cyclists talk tech
Cycling TTF Rides Throughout The World

Cyclingforum is powered by SYNCRONICITY.NET in Denver, Colorado -