HOMECLUBS | SPONSORS | FEATURESPHOTO GALLERYTTF DONORS | SHOP FOR GEAR

Return to CyclingForum Home Page CYCLING TECH TALK FORUM
          View posts since last visit

Glute cramp, 1st for me...

Author Thread Post new topic Reply to topic
Sparky

6/18/14 6:16 PM

Glute cramp, 1st for me...

Early on the ride today, my right glute started cramping, and badly! Well a muscle in my right butt. It got worse to the point 5 miles in I stopped and chewed up 2 Calcium/Magnesium/Zinc tablets from my cramp kit I carry. Salt and these cal/mag pills, for mile 50+ usually and when hot. Less than 10 minutes cramps all but gone. It was in the low 60^ mark @ 10:00 ride start time, so not hot and no real sweating going on. It only got over 70^ about 6:00pm. I picked up my Citomax consumption anyway right away as well.

I did take a week off, so last Wed was the last time I rode. After the food/rest stop, I finished up bottle one and mixed up bottle 2, no food. I had cereal @ 9:00 am.

1/2 back my left ars started to tighten up, and the right a little again. We were going hard, me and one other guy went off the front and finished back ahead. The folks that eat the most go the slowest on the returns. ;)

Things different: Pedals, saddle, and cereal Elaine got which I never had before for breakfast this morning. Some corn something... Less coffee than usual as I was running a bit late out the door.

Saddle is the same saddle I ran for 20k on the Strong, Pedals more stack and I should have raised the saddle a little probably. Got home and checked saddle being level[it was], height [I raised it 5mm], but the saddle was rotated a little to the side I first cramped more than it should have been. The previous saddle and this one must be askew in opposite direction. No obvious bent rails on either, either. Rotated it back just left of center, which is how I ride as I [TMI] just hang that way, so to speak.

I never had any muscle issue here ever, thus the long explanation. Googled a bunch, no much I found useful.

?? Anybody?

Reply to topic     Send e-mail

JohnC

6/18/14 7:06 PM

Got nothing helpful

but let me be the first to say, "talk about a pain in the ass!"

KerryIrons

6/18/14 7:19 PM

Tight what?

I've had a lot of cramps in a lot of places but never there. Nothing to offer except the standard "electrolytes and hydration." Could you get rid of it with stretching or massage (be sure to do the latter out of sight of decent people).

Reply to topic    

Dave B

6/18/14 7:58 PM

Sounds like you need a gluten free diet. :)

Sparky

6/18/14 8:13 PM

"standard "electrolytes and hydration."

Being early, me not drinking alcohol for years, early and cool.. I was not suspecting this.

"Could you get rid of it with stretching or massage"

I tried rubbing it out, digging at it with the seat and my knuckles. It took the Cal/Mag to get it to quit.
Which makes the case for the electrolytes maybe?

sandiway

6/18/14 10:35 PM

flexibility

Not commenting on you in particular, but glutes are pretty big muscles. If you were short of electrolytes, other smaller muscles should have cramped up earlier. I suspect a flexibility issue there...

Sandiway

Reply to topic    

mag7

6/19/14 8:18 AM

Lebroning, eh?
Might want to add Potassium to your stash...suggest googling hypokalemia and cramps.

walter

6/19/14 11:27 PM

do you actively stretch your glutes?

maybe you did something or slept funny or did something else to set the stage for the cramp?

maybe you're just getting old?

Sparky

6/20/14 12:43 AM

Walter,

I do now, maybe so, and yes. ;)

The week off and an early lower temp hard seated pull before warming up I am leaning toward being causal.

dan emery

6/20/14 1:44 PM

Sorry gotta say it

Brain cramp?

Reply to topic    

Sparky

6/20/14 2:10 PM

LOL

It was my right brain, run with it... ;)

dfcas

6/20/14 3:44 PM

I also suspect a flexibility issue. I started stretching 21 years ago and find that it helps with recovery for me. I found stretching cold muscles before riding counterproductive, but I do stretch after riding.

A few times I have been too blown after a ride to stretch and I always regret it.

Return to CyclingForum Home Page CYCLING TECH TALK FORUM
           View New Threads Since My Last Visit VIEW THREADS SINCE MY LAST VISIT
           Start a New Thread

Last Thread | Next Thread  >  

If you enjoy this site, please consider pledging your support

cyclingforum.com - where cyclists talk tech
Cycling TTF Rides Throughout The World

Cyclingforum is powered by SYNCRONICITY.NET in Denver, Colorado -