HOMECLUBS | SPONSORS | FEATURESPHOTO GALLERYTTF DONORS | SHOP FOR GEAR

Return to CyclingForum Home Page CYCLING TECH TALK FORUM
          View posts since last visit

Tubeless road maiden voyage...

Author Thread Post new topic Reply to topic
Sparky

5/20/14 11:48 AM

Tubeless road maiden voyage...

Had the DA tubeless wheels with tubes and contis for a while. Picked up some Fushion 2 Hutchys. Just got them all mounted and going for a ride with tubeless.

First on the Roubaix, then the Scott. My old fart ways has my sphincter in a lock honestly....

Anyone running road tubeless? Tips, tricks?

After cleaning them up after a good soapy check for leaks and 100 lb of air. Just popped them on and went up the hill in the subdivision here. Roubaix then the Scott. Will let them sit over night and take out on the road tomorrow for a real ride.

@ 100lb, the Roubaix shows it's smooth riding colors way more than the Scott. In fact the Scott feels like it had tubular tires @ 100lb. Although the only Scott Tubular ride was 46mm carbon rims. So a feel comparison... But probably more the same pressure then with the tubulars and these tubeless.

Deciding if I take just a tube with me in case. Although the boot thing is out unless you use a tube in case. I think the Scott feel better with the Conti GP4Ks chilies. 25 back 23 front with 85lb on the HED Belguims, In my mind at least. May try the tubeless @ 85/90 and see if it improves ride. Guessing it will...

How do you touch off pressures without spitting the sealant all over?? 10-2:00 thingy?

Reply to topic     Send e-mail

dfcas

5/20/14 2:32 PM

I've used tubeless cross and mtb, but not road. The road riders claim the main benefit is being able to run lower pressures, say 80-85 without pinch flatting. I think 100 is too much to enjoy the benefits of tubeless.

I may try the sectuer 28's on my cross bike.

Sparky

5/20/14 9:28 PM

I left them sitting on the Scott @ home to make sure they hold air, so far so good. Just grabbed the Roubaix and did 63-4 miles. Longest ride for me since 2001. About time!

I think I will give them a real ride tomorrow with the Portland Wheelman ride..

Are the sectuer 28's close to 28, or small like Contis tend to be for the size?

Last edited by Sparky on 5/21/14 9:53 AM; edited 1 time in total

henoch

5/21/14 7:43 AM

IRC

I have been riding IRC roadlite tubeless 25's mounted on a pair of ultegra 6700 wheels since February, so far so good.
They are very nice tires for all around riding.

Reply to topic    

Sparky

5/21/14 9:35 AM

So what do you take with you riding, still a tube in case, any sealant?? I am thinking a rag of some kind to wipe sealant out and a tube? yes?

The Fusion 2s I got are used, his rear more than the front which is like new pretty much. As said the used rear went on my front.

I think I may pickup one Fusion 3 25c for the rear. The front 23 rear 25 is my new go to combo on a few bikes now.

Wondering how low pressure it is cool on the tubeless and still keep good them rolling best. Will experiment...

Considering I am using 80/85 in the GP4 All Seasons 28C, and on other wheels 23/25C GP4Ks 85 front and back. All on 23mm wide rims.

RE: the 28C Sectuer, any issues keeping air in them tubelsss? See posts on the interwebs siting issues. But you never know if some poor intstalls is just not the case. I scrubbed both my tire bends and rim lips with a stiff brush and soapy water mix. Still hard this morning... easy there...

dfcas

5/21/14 10:26 AM

I don't know if the 28's have sealing problems. I just read that they offer a tubeless 28 now. I may however go with the Gran Bois/ or Compass tires with a tube. They are said to be very nice riding tires, and I may favor ride quality over tubeless.

Sparky

5/21/14 6:29 PM

Rode the Scott today with the tubeless @ 75/80 lbs air. Feels the same as 100 lb to me. But, I did do 60+ on the Roubaix yesterday with 23/25C @ 82/85lb Some specialized cush factor comparatively may be prejudicing my feel.

dddd

5/21/14 11:34 PM

A friend who I built wheels for using HED Belgium rims is now running Schwalbes tubeless on these rims, using Stan's tape iir. He's been happy with this setup, actually he raves about it, for 6 months now so far.

He warned me that if you get a flat on a tubeless tire that before putting a tube in you may have to remove several sealed, but still-sharp thorns from the inside of the tire.

Reply to topic    

henoch

5/22/14 7:26 AM

I put some stans sealant in mine, figured why not.
I still ride with a spare tube.

Reply to topic    

Brian Nystrom

5/23/14 4:54 AM

Stans works great

I use it in everything, clinchers, tubulars and tubeless. One caveat is that the amount that they recommend using is 2-3 times as much as you actually need. Using less means less wasted sealant, less weight in the tires, less chance of developing latex "oysters" or balls in the tires (I've never had either) and it prevents sealant from getting all over the place during inflation and tire/tube changes. Just remember to add a little sealant 2-3 times per season to insure that there is some that can migrate around in the tires.

Reply to topic    

Sparky

5/23/14 10:24 AM

I did the Specialized sealant in some tubulars when I 1st got the Paramount rolling. Seem apropos...

1st long ride out I hit a chuck of glass with the rear and lost a lot of air. I put the hole at the bottom and tried to put air in, but when I got to about 60-70 the sealant would poo out and then seal at lower pressure. Hole too big and/or Specialized sealant not as good as stans? I did go with less than recommended, but plenty pooed out so I am sure there was enough for a 22mm tubular. New tire went into the garbage. So I a reluctant to ride them again honestly, especially on a group ride. This I will put those wheels on the Colnago along with the ERO Record levers and do occasional rides only.

I have to say I am settled into wide rims and the 23/25 combo at lower pressures these days as my fav for ride and flat resistance. I can change a flat pretty fast when I do not have to get the glue out trying to keep the dirt out of the equation with a tubular tire swap on the road. Not had the experience of the tubeless flat putting in a new tube with the mess of the sealant in the equation. But not liking the though of it.

I had it in my mind with the sealant tubular the flats might be mostly removed from the equation.
I think it may have been the 115 lb I used, I may give it another go with 90 seeing the result I am getting with the clinchers of late.

greglepore

5/23/14 11:02 AM

Knock on wood I haven't had a 25mm clincher flat in a season and a half. I use a homebrew sealant that seems to work well.

Sparky

5/23/14 1:15 PM

No flat, but any punctures the sealant fixed as far as you know??

I seem to recall you posted the homemade sealant ingredients, would you again please?

Maybe all my tiring thoughts/post best in one thread, although idea was to keep the idea apart perhaps.

Brian Nystrom

5/24/14 10:53 AM

Sealants

I haven't tried the Specialized sealant, so I don't know how it compares to Stan's.

I have used Caffelatex and it is absolutely worthless for anything other than draining your wallet! Actual "cafe" would probably be just as effective at sealing flats.

Slime apparently works pretty well, but it can it has a lot of bulky fibers in it and it can be very difficult to install it in presta-valve tires/tubes. It's impossible to use it without removable valve cores.

Stan's seems to have a great balance of sealing effectiveness and ease of use. I haven't experienced a puncture or cut yet that it wouldn't seal, but it can certainly happen. I still carry a spare tube (or tubular) and a patch kit on all of my bikes.

There is a new orange sealant on the market that sounds interesting, but I haven't tried it yet.

Reply to topic    

Sparky

5/24/14 11:24 AM

True Goo is a newer one I see on the internets.

henoch

5/24/14 4:46 PM

Cafe Latex

Yeah my experience with cafe latex has been the same, all it did was mess up my living room floor.

Reply to topic    

Return to CyclingForum Home Page CYCLING TECH TALK FORUM
           View New Threads Since My Last Visit VIEW THREADS SINCE MY LAST VISIT
           Start a New Thread

Last Thread | Next Thread  >  

If you enjoy this site, please consider pledging your support

cyclingforum.com - where cyclists talk tech
Cycling TTF Rides Throughout The World

Cyclingforum is powered by SYNCRONICITY.NET in Denver, Colorado -