Return to CyclingForum Home Page CYCLING TECH TALK FORUM
          View posts since last visit

panniers vs saddle bag vs other storage options
 Goto page Previous  1, 2

Author Thread Post new topic Reply to topic
Andy M-S

5/13/14 5:27 AM

SRSLY

By "minimalist aesthetic" I mean that a saddlebag is a cool thing because--in theory, at least--you don't need a rack. Just a saddle with loops, or small adaptors. If you have a rack on your bike, panniers seem to me a much better way to go. Panniers make for a lower center of gravity and greater capacity (in general). And of course, panniers don't require a saddle with mounting points.

The nice thing about a saddlebag is, if it's done right, it lets you turn a bike without eyelets and other fittings into a commuting or day touring bike.

When I set up my first "road" bike, I did everything I could to make it lightweight and fast. Definitely no rack. Racks were for 10-speeds, right? But when I needed to take stuff to work, I could hang a saddlebag on it and (on dry days, since I eschewed fenders as well) have a commuter.

These days, I am slower than ever and weight is not a factor in the least, so I don't mind racks and fenders and a bell (!) even dynamo lights.

A rack *and* a saddlebag seems like belt & suspenders to me.

Reply to topic     Send e-mail

Sparky

5/13/14 9:16 AM

Plastic cat litter buckets..

you see this downtown a lot.

How to make link: http://www.commutebybike.com/2009/12/09/how-to-make-bike-buckets/

I have some soft bags pairs that clip on a rear rack. Kirtland tour packs. They have an aluminum sheet backer and the top of the bags site even to top of the rack. So a top bag can be used as well. Have one of those too.

You are welcome to borrow the three, and even a rack for the task if you don't want to spend for a new set up. They are not pretty really, but the zips and clips are intact. Just send them back when you are done with the trip is all I ask. Have a front handle bar bags also yo can borrow as well. making 4 bags altogether. Front one is very handy too, for grabbing shit with no dismount, and even keeps liquids cool a long time... Map window top etc., but the mounting bracket is fussy as to what step it will work on...

Tour packs look like this pic I found on the net:

Andy M-S

5/13/14 9:59 AM

HEY!

I didn't realize you were a pre-frog owner.^H^H^H^H^H^H^H^H^H^H^H^H^H^H^H^H^H^H^H^H^H^H^H^H^H^H^H^H^H^H^H^H^H^H^H^H^H^H^H^H^H^H^H^H^H^H^H^H^H^H^H^H^H^H^H^H^H^H^H^H^H^H^H^H^H^H^H^H^H^H^H^H^H^H^H^H^H^H Strap an amp on the back and you could ride along playing a tele!^H^H^H^H^H^H^H^H^H^H^H^H^H^H^H^H^H^H^H^H^H^H^H^H^H^H^H^H^H^H^H^H^H^H^H^H^H^H^H^H^H^H^H^H^H^H^H^H^H^H^H^H^H^H^H^H^H^H^H^H^H^H^H^H^H^H^H^H^H^H

Never mind. I still think it would be a cool way to cycle along making music. I wonder if you could power an old Pignose from a hub generator?

April

5/13/14 12:10 PM

quote:
A rack *and* a saddlebag seeds to ms like belt & suspenders to me.

Not at the same time, naturally. But I do have BOTH and change them out as needed.

I have a rack that I can put on in less than 2 minutes. (I insist on all my "road" bikes having eyelets for racks!) And I have toiled with various different saddle bags when I'm riding without the rack, which is about 95% of the time.

A rack is great for light touring. I can do a long weekend with just a trunk bag. Or add pannies to do a week long tour if so desired.

But different sized saddle bag comes in handy when I need to haul an extra warm jacket + lights in late fall, vs be minimalist when I'm doing a supported ride in the summer.

Basically, I've been a "one bike does it all" kind of rider for as long as I can remember (till I bought a second bike about 5 years ago). But given 90% of my rides are single day club ride with good bail out options, I really don't want to load my bike down with all the extra stuff for those <5% of the time I'm touring. Saddle bag PLUS rack allows me to tailor the bike to all purpose.

Andy M-S

5/13/14 12:21 PM

Precisely

April:

Exactly. The trick is that I see lot of folks these days using racks as saddlebag supports. That's where I think things are being overdone.

April

5/13/14 1:19 PM

quote:
using racks as saddlebag supports

Andy, I confess I've never seen that.

Andy M-S

5/13/14 1:53 PM

Some examples:

April

5/13/14 2:13 PM

Well, those are a little weird.

Perhaps they're too lazy to take their rack off when they're not using it? (photo 2) BTW, that's the exact rack I have. 4 bolts, can be taken off in 30 seconds and put back on in 2 minutes!

Photo 3 is a little hard to tell. Is that a saddle bag? Or was it an improvised trunk bag without its own mounting hardware?

(photo 1 looks like the owner didn't like the way the saddle bag is mounted and decided he'll put a rack on and use the saddle bag as a trunk bag. )

Andy M-S

5/13/14 3:21 PM

All Saddlebags

Those are all Carradice saddlebags.

See, these are the kinds of bike setups I see all the time.

April

5/13/14 4:12 PM

Did you pull them off the Carradice website?

I would think that's truely weird to have tht kind of setup!

The whole point of gigantic saddle bag is so you don't have to have a rack!!!

Andy M-S

5/13/14 5:27 PM

Nope

Google search on "Carradice saddlebag" then click on "images."

I agree--rack or saddlebag. A saddlebag by itself satisfies my "minimalist aesthetic" because there's no need for a rack. But both together is just...too much.

Like I said above, I love the idea of saddlebags--I have just found that the reality doesn't work well for me, though it may for others.

April

5/13/14 5:57 PM

quote:
I love the idea of saddlebags--I have just found that the reality doesn't work well for me, though it may for others.

Back on topic...

I didn't quite get why saddle bag didn't work for you. I thought you have a bike without eyelet and can't have a rack in the first place?

In my case, since I have a easy to remove rack, I've been mostly favoring rack for most times I need to haul anything except when I know EXACTLY it would fit into one of my larger saddle bags. In other words, I've been relying on the flexibility of a rack offers.

Andy M-S

5/13/14 6:16 PM

Dunno.

Saddlebags feel awkward to me...they rub on my thighs a little, which I don't mind too terribly much over a day's commute, but which got to really bug me on a 5-day tour.

I think now that my hip is replaced, they also form a bit of an obstacle in getting on and off the bike. I can't swing my right leg like I once could, so that may also be a factor.

It could also be that if I had my saddle farther forward on the post, the bag would fit better. I tend to slam the saddle all the way back on the rails, though, which introduces a bit of a gap between the bag loops on the saddle and the seatpost (where the front strap on most bags is supposed to go).

My current ride (a VO Rando) is well-equipped with eyelets for racks and fenders (hammered, as Dan points out) so it's not a big deal. But the OP had a bike without any fittings for carrying stuff, and that's what started the whole thread...

April

5/13/14 6:26 PM

quote:
they also form a bit of an obstacle in getting on and off the bike. I can't swing my right leg like I once could,

Racks are no better! I had in many occasions almost hit the ground when, at slow speed, I tried to dismount by swinging my legs out the back, only to have my right leg bump into the rack/trunkbag and upset the balance of the bike. With only one foot on the pedal, it's all too easy to crash as a result!

The worst is seat post mounted racks, because it seats higher. Once a trunk bag is added, it takes a gymnist to be able to dismount by swinging legs behind. I certainly couldn't do it. The few times I tried the seat post mounted rack (on my mtn bike, which has no eyelet), I always ended up seating back down on the saddle and stopping with my legs straddling the bike. (once or twice, I think I ended up laying the bike down and jump over the bike)

Andy M-S

5/13/14 6:41 PM

Racks

I have a very low rack--it adds maybe an inch above the rear tire (give or take--it's a close fit with fenders) so I don't have problems due to that. I have seen some very high-mount racks, though, and you're right that seatpost-mounted racks tend to be the worst in this regard, like this:

Mine fits more like the rear rack in this photo:

Of course, that's without any load. But panniers don't add appreciably to the height of the rack...

April

5/13/14 7:14 PM

quote:
Mine fits more like the rear rack in this photo:

Oh, height (of the rider) helps!

Mine? I only got about an inch of seatpost showing on a 52cm frame. Do the math, you'll get no matter how close my racks are to the tire, it's still pretty high and close to the top of saddle.

At my size, many things fit very, very tight. Mini-pump needs to be finesed. Even water bottle needs to be wiggle out of the holder, or it might hit the top tube (I've done that and dropped it once or twice, fortunately for my club-mates, not any more often).

Sparky

5/13/14 8:04 PM

Since we got the tandem, and I started getting the bars lowered again from the femoral nerve raising...

I just mount with my left leg over the front.. Over the back of the seat on the tandem does not work too well. But for the task of traveling, would you bars be higher making that a harder task I wonder...

Nick Payne

5/14/14 1:34 AM

If you want saddlebags that don't need a separate pannier rack for support underneath, have a look at the Berthoud saddlebags, which mount off the seatpost. They're not cheap though - I was a bit shocked at how much the price has risen when I just had a look - the best part of $400 for the bag and its seatpost-mounting support, which is about twice what I paid for mine about a decade back: http://www.wallbike.com/berthoud/berthoud/berthoud-rack-saddlebags-gb604704 . I've done weekend tours with this bag...

And Carradice saddlebags can mounted on a Carradice SQR seatpost mount and used without a rack underneath. That's how we used ours when touring Switzerland. The SQR mount also moves the bag back a couple of inches from where it would be if hung off the saddle rails, to help clear the back of your thighs:

Reply to topic    

Andy M-S

5/14/14 3:07 AM

SQR

An SQR was the way I found to make my saddlebag most useful when I was using one regularly in the naughts. Of course, I didn't have the range-of-motion issue with my hip then that I do now, so (for me) mounting was much less of an issue.

I like saddlebags, but they don't work well for me. Racks (and panniers) do .

My issue with saddlebag users--and it is solely aesthetic--is having both rack and saddlebag on a bike. Saddlebags seem to be ideal for bikes where you can't have (or don't want) a rack, so to use them with a rack seems...off-putting (again, to me).

I will say there is one set of circumstances where a saddlebag and rack work well, and that is fully-loaded touring...

April

5/14/14 7:01 AM

quote:
I will say there is one set of circumstances where a saddlebag and rack work well, and that is fully-loaded touring...

Not in my opinion.

I think a trunk bag works way better if you already got a rack. It doesn't rub your thigh. Most trunk bag are also easy to take off so you can bring it with you (to your room, restaurant etc.)

Nick Payne

5/14/14 2:48 PM

quote:
I think a trunk bag works way better if you already got a rack. It doesn't rub your thigh. Most trunk bag are also easy to take off so you can bring it with you (to your room, restaurant etc.)

If you have a look at the photos of the Carradice saddlebag with Nitto mount that I posted on page 1 of this thread, the bag is far enough back that my legs never hit it, and the mount uses a standard wheel quick release, so the bag can be installed or removed in a couple of seconds.

Reply to topic    

April

5/14/14 3:00 PM

I should rephrase: I don't see saddle bag work any better than trunk bag if you're going to have a rack anyway.

Granted, if you already spend the money on those high end saddle bag and the mounting hardware, it makes sense to continue using them even when you have a rack.

Return to CyclingForum Home Page CYCLING TECH TALK FORUM
           View New Threads Since My Last Visit VIEW THREADS SINCE MY LAST VISIT
           Start a New Thread

Goto page Previous  1, 2  
Last Thread | Next Thread  >  

If you enjoy this site, please consider pledging your support

cyclingforum.com - where cyclists talk tech
Cycling TTF Rides Throughout The World

Cyclingforum is powered by SYNCRONICITY.NET in Denver, Colorado -