HOMECLUBS | SPONSORS | FEATURESPHOTO GALLERYTTF DONORS | SHOP FOR GEAR

Return to CyclingForum Home Page CYCLING TECH TALK FORUM
          View posts since last visit

The fork with the brass steerer tube

Author Thread Post new topic Reply to topic
Nick Payne

4/14/14 1:56 AM

The fork with the brass steerer tube

I recently fitted a Syntace stem and bars to my Audax bike. The stem has a cut-out on each side of the steerer clamp that exposes the steerer tube, and because this bike has a steel fork and steerer, I decided to protect it from rusting where it is exposed by using some 0.002" brass shim between the stem and steerer. Since doing that, I've had two riders look at it and ask me if the fork has a brass steerer tube...

And BTW, I find the Syntace bars, with a six degree sweep back of the tops each side of the centre clamp, to be about the most comfortable I've ever used for that sort of riding, where I spend most of the time riding on the tops and not much time on the drops.

Reply to topic    

Andy M-S

4/14/14 6:01 AM

brass

The shim is cool. You could have fun with aluminum shims and anodizing!

Reply to topic     Send e-mail

ErikS
Location: Slowing boiling over in the steamy south, Global Warming is real

4/14/14 3:08 PM

I like the raw hide bar wrap. Kinda cool for that bike. Though, spray the fork.

Nick Payne

4/14/14 8:22 PM

The bar tape is actually Cinelli gel tape in a cork colour. It's one of the few tapes I've used where I don't get a problem wrapping 46cm bars with finding that the tape runs out before getting to where I want to terminate the wrap - particularly with the Syntace bars, which have a longer extension on the drops than most handlebars:

I've never used their actual leather tape - I suspect it would be much harder to wrap successfully, as the gel tape has far more stretch than one would get with leather.

Reply to topic    

Sparky

4/14/14 9:56 PM

Nice touch on the brass bell with the brass shim. ;)

walter

4/15/14 3:07 PM

solution for too-short bar wrap = trim the drops!

back in the day i picked this up from aussie honch Phil Anderson (well, i read about him doing it in Winning magazine): trim the last 2-3cm from the ends of your drops. most folks never spend any time on the *very* end. if you're reaching for the drops you're more than likely to be up in the hooks, nearer the levers.

with the shorter drops you have less bar that needs to be covered, no more problem with too-short wrap! also, you end up with lighter bars...ready for the ventoux!

Last edited by walter on 4/16/14 7:22 AM; edited 1 time in total

Dave B

4/15/14 3:31 PM

quote:
.....trim the last 2-3cm from the ends of your drops...

I've mostly seen that done by riders who use barend shifters. It makes the total length of the drops, shifters included, about the same as standard bars.

dddd

4/16/14 9:37 PM

I've trimmed the ends of the bars for bar ends every time, but also for the bars on one of my Schwinn Varsities, since my knees would hit the end of the bars when I attacked a steep hill or used a "sprinting" position.
Those old electro-forged Schwinn frames had modest top tube lengths, which combined with their very relaxed ~70-degree frame angles to make even the larger sizes of these frames feel short.

Reply to topic    

Return to CyclingForum Home Page CYCLING TECH TALK FORUM
           View New Threads Since My Last Visit VIEW THREADS SINCE MY LAST VISIT
           Start a New Thread

Last Thread | Next Thread  >  

If you enjoy this site, please consider pledging your support

cyclingforum.com - where cyclists talk tech
Cycling TTF Rides Throughout The World

Cyclingforum is powered by SYNCRONICITY.NET in Denver, Colorado -