HOMECLUBS | SPONSORS | FEATURESPHOTO GALLERYTTF DONORS | SHOP FOR GEAR

Return to CyclingForum Home Page CYCLING TECH TALK FORUM
          View posts since last visit

PDX to east traverse jaunt

Author Thread Post new topic Reply to topic
Sparky

4/9/14 11:48 AM

PDX to east traverse jaunt

Been wanting to do the all the way west to all the way east bike trail. Nearly empty during the day yesterday, like having your own TT course pretty much. There are stop/x-ings, but to the east side they are 5+ miles between mostly. West of I-205 more and closer together.

The Interstate roughly center on map running No/So is I205 for reference.

It is not all completely connected. But 99%, with a short ride through the Sellwood area [red circle] of about 1.5 miles for the East and West portions to connect. So my route order was purple, then blue, end with green line.

I have been going from near my house [south of map center] to Boring and back for 40 milers, and one 53 miler last week for 2014. I got to get in century shape for my b-day goal. 5/7 is coming fast. ;) Not done a Century since 2001 I am ashamed to say.

The satisfaction of both the task and the 50 miles, well you all know that satisfaction of riding goals.

Started going west to the river up to the Llyod district and then east past starting point to the new east tip extension that was just finished earlier this year in Boring [added 8ish miles] and back to the center where I had the car parked.

Reply to topic     Send e-mail

Sparky

4/9/14 11:54 AM

Here is a Google Map link showing the bike road/trails system for prospective. Show the Gorge in relation etc. if anyone is curious...

https://www.google.com/maps/@45.4960694,-122.5048192,12z/data=!5m1!1e3

Elaine and I did the one along the river, Marine drive Monday. First chance I had to get her up there, as usually the winds in the Gorge are strident, to say the least. Under 10 MPH Monday. So 18 miles of a repeat loop in the sun.

PDX had a reverse pattern, first time I have seen this. But Changed back to the normal pattern while we were riding there. Maybe just to give the normal runway threshold a break while the wind was more neutral. ;)

Jesus Saves

4/9/14 12:22 PM

Did you find your mid-point destination to live up to its name? Or did it surpass your expectations?

Reply to topic    

Sparky

4/9/14 12:47 PM

I have learned to appreciate Boring.

The place with the food, drinks etc at the new end of the bike trail are happy folks with extra biz too.

Usually not a stop I make on the 40 mile version @ the 1/2 way on that route. But this time I hit there mile 38 or so, and needed the sustenance.

When I got out of the car when I got home, I got a nasty HamString cramp. Took about 20 seconds to stretch it out. Old fart getting up and out of a Del Sol after all the backside pulling/pedaling....
I found my self wondering how bad it would have been had I not done a big Gateraide out at the stop.

Longer rides, and now warm.. time to bring more than water on the bike. And put on a second bottle holder. Still have Cito-max from later year. Time to stock up for this season...

Return to CyclingForum Home Page CYCLING TECH TALK FORUM
           View New Threads Since My Last Visit VIEW THREADS SINCE MY LAST VISIT
           Start a New Thread

Last Thread | Next Thread  >  

If you enjoy this site, please consider pledging your support

cyclingforum.com - where cyclists talk tech
Cycling TTF Rides Throughout The World

Cyclingforum is powered by SYNCRONICITY.NET in Denver, Colorado -