Return to CyclingForum Home Page CYCLING TECH TALK FORUM
          View posts since last visit

So long Serotta

Author Thread Post new topic Reply to topic
rickhardy
Location: Needham outside of Boston - the hub of the universe

7/31/13 11:12 AM

So long Serotta

http://www.bicycleretailer.com/north-america/2013/07/31/serotta-lays-40-workforce-planning-shutdown#.UflFD23FmZE

Reply to topic    

Sparky

7/31/13 11:35 AM

Has me wondering if a Bain Capital style deal has not happened/is happening...

Reply to topic     Send e-mail

dan emery

7/31/13 11:52 AM

Bummer

I have 4 Serottas, love every one. This is my 9th season on my Ottrott, it's still perfect and like new.

Not easy to make bikes in the US, particularly on a bigger scale than a solo builder.

I know he's been on the brink of closing before, I hope he can pull a rabbit out of a hat.

Reply to topic    

ErikS
Location: Slowing boiling over in the steamy south, Global Warming is real

7/31/13 11:54 AM

metal is hard to sell these days, with aero carbon being a true improvement over tubes of old.

I loved Serorttas, always wanted one, until 8 years ago.....

PLee

7/31/13 12:08 PM

Sounds like a screwed up deal, big time.

Reply to topic    

rickhardy

7/31/13 12:12 PM

More

http://www.bicycleretailer.com/north-america/2013/07/31/ben-serotta-i-will-build-bikes-another-day#.UflThG3FmZE

Reply to topic    

Sparky

7/31/13 1:08 PM

Question: Is 'merger' a slippery way to do a hostile takeover without actually putting in capital ??

And I stopped watching the news a while back, really...

;)

Andy M-S

7/31/13 1:17 PM

Very sad...

When I lived in Schenectady, just down the road, Serottas weren't common, but you saw them fairly often. Sad to think it's over. At least for now.

dan emery

7/31/13 5:11 PM

memories

Andy's post brings a few things to mind. I rode with a guy in Syracuse in '75 who left town to apprentice with Ben.

In the early '80s Serottas were common in races in New England. Candy red, blue or green, with yellow decals. I remember walking into the Bicycle Exchange in Cambridge in maybe '82, and seeing a Candy Blue Serotta hanging, with a hand lettered sign "The Best." I got one shortly thereafter, still have it. His classic steel frames were gorgeous and rode great.

I think he was a genuine innovator with his Colorado shaped tubing. I have a Colorado II, also great.

I also have a Hors Cat, with rear suspension. A lot of people who have never ridden one think it doesn't work. I've ridden it over all kinds of crappy roads, and think it works great. I still ride it.

Before I got my Ottrott, it went on a promotional ride with Ben, John Allis, and some others. Ben seemed an unpretentious guy who loved to ride a bike. As I said, I consider the Ottrott perfect.

I think he'll build again, one way or the other.

Reply to topic    

Alenhoff

7/31/13 7:25 PM

Adios Serotta

I love my Concours CS. Matte Titanium, that ultra-cool Serotta head tube badge and yellow decals. (Perfectly color-matched to yellow-tread Vittoria tires and yellow Bontrager bar tape. Took me a long time to find those perfect color matches, too. Pardon me for the vanity...)

Looks kind of old school, with a nearly level top tube and conventional wheels.

It's as perfect a bike as I've ever owned. I know I've never ridden a bike that handles better.

Come back soon Ben...

Alan

Reply to topic    

Dave B

8/1/13 7:24 AM

Based on what I get from those BRAIN articles, Ben himself has nothing to do with the bikes currently being made under his name and has no financial or physical interest in the company. You may get the Serotta name on your new bike but Ben had nothing to do with it.

dan emery

8/1/13 8:16 AM

may be a bit of an overstatement

to say he has nothing to do with the bikes. I certainly don't know the details, but I suspect his equity interest was bought out as part of financing to try to keep the ship afloat; that doesn't mean hasn't been involved in operations. He seemed to be actively involved in the negotiations described. Last I checked they still make the bikes they've made for years, I think those are basically his bikes (certainly with contributions from others).

Going forward, who knows.

Reply to topic    

April

8/1/13 8:44 AM

quote:
Based on what I get from those BRAIN articles, Ben himself has nothing to do with the bikes currently being made under his name and has no financial or physical interest in the company. You may get the Serotta name on your new bike but Ben had nothing to do with it.

Actually, I read it differently.

Seems like he sold out his interest in the last merger. The bikes currently coming out of their factory are basically his existing design, though obviously nothing new/innovative by him since that point.

But he's "trying to extricate the Serotta name" from the failed deal with DCG in order to get back into "building" bikes "one way or another". That speaks to me as NOT letting the name to die with DCG. If that "extrication" is successful, NEW bikes with the Serotta name will likely be HIS design again.

Sparky

8/1/13 9:17 AM

I read it same as April did, FWIW

rickhardy

8/9/13 9:09 AM

Letter from Ben

http://www.bicycleretailer.com/north-america/2013/08/07/ben-serottas-letter-cycling-community#.UgUF9VOE7L4

Reply to topic    

Brian Nystrom

8/10/13 6:13 AM

Sounds like he was hung out to dry...

...for speaking the truth. His comments about "building bikes" and "extricating his name", though honest, now seem ill-timed and are probably what cost him his job. I speak as someone who's also stuck his foot in his mouth and lost a job...more than once.

I hope it works out for him in the long run and I strongly suspect it will. I imagine that if he starts another bike-building operation, key people will follow him.

It seems to me that the Serotta brand will be rejected by the cycling faithful if DCG continues to use it, due to the way they treated Ben (and Bill Watkins). I hope they don't trash Blue and Mad Fiber, too.

Reply to topic    

Sparky

8/10/13 11:42 AM

"It seems to me that the Serotta brand will be rejected by the cycling faithful if DCG continues to use it"

Probably so I am thinking...

Steve Katzman

8/15/13 7:03 PM

That totally sucks!

Very sad day for American bicycle manufacturing. Lately the prices of the new Serottas have been getting a bit rich for my blood, I admit. Still liked the fact that their innovative designs were attracting new riders with deeper pockets than mine. The idea of being terminated from a business that Ben founded and has his name seems totally absurd.

I will cherish my Ti Legend and lugged steel CR until I am too old to ride them and maybe even longer than that. Both great bikes! Now to see how long I can make my Serotta jerseys last.

Best of luck to Ben and his family.

April

8/16/13 10:40 AM

'His comments about "building bikes" and "extricating his name", though honest, now seem ill-timed and are probably what cost him his job. '

Seems to me more like his attempt to "extricating his name" failed and DCG retaliate by firing him.

It's not like he didn't see it coming anyway. Anyone working there already know the operation is winding down so it's only a matter of time EVERYONE will be losing their job. Small cost to lose it now vs a few month later.

I was at Silican Valley when the dot-com bubble bursted. When people know the company they're working for will be closed in a few months time, they do what they need to get the most out of what's left of it (grab a core gruop of people to start something else, offer your service to competitor etc). The worst that could happen is to be terminated a couple months sooner. Small price.

Sparky

8/16/13 1:26 PM

"Seems to me more like his attempt to "extricating his name" failed and DCG retaliate by firing him."

Not to mention a litigation hammer may fall on him. Possibly he showed intent to breach, if he didn't actually already...

I would not be one bit surprised if we see litigation as a result. And I do not mean him suing them either...
Either them trying not to pay him, or recovering if they already have... Yada...

Sparky

3/27/14 8:03 PM

Bump

Thought I'd kick this.

The court-appointed trustee for Divine Cycling Group’s bankruptcy case is asking the court to consolidate three related but separate Chapter 7 bankruptcy filings.

Wonder is The Serotta Brand is one of the three?? Betting it is... Blue, MadFiber and Serotta?

dfcas

3/28/14 10:10 AM

The company was building under the name Saratoga Frameworks or some such. The doors were locked a week or 2 ago and all employess laid off.

Some people had frames in there for repair/repaint and they are trying to get them back.

On the good news side, a Canadian company named 22 bikes has hired the workers and plans to start building in the area.

http://www.bicycleretailer.com/north-america/2014/03/13/saratoga-frameworks-factory-shuts-down#.UzWfE17c0-N

Kramer

3/28/14 10:50 AM

MadFiber

MadFiber was already sold to Bob Stapleton of HighRoad cycling team fame.

Reply to topic    

Sparky

3/28/14 11:04 AM

"Saratoga's approximately eight remaining employees were told Wednesday to hand in their keys and gather any remaining personal items at the factory, one of the employees told BRAIN. The employee said he was told that if he didn't hear any news in 24 hours he should file for unemployment benefits. The employee asked that his name not be used because it could complicate his efforts to find a new job. "

Now it can complicate efforts to find a new job for 'approximately' all 8?? DUH!

Return to CyclingForum Home Page CYCLING TECH TALK FORUM
           View New Threads Since My Last Visit VIEW THREADS SINCE MY LAST VISIT
           Start a New Thread

Last Thread | Next Thread  >  

If you enjoy this site, please consider pledging your support

cyclingforum.com - where cyclists talk tech
Cycling TTF Rides Throughout The World

Cyclingforum is powered by SYNCRONICITY.NET in Denver, Colorado -