Return to CyclingForum Home Page CYCLING TECH TALK FORUM
          View posts since last visit

Accessories for Garmin Edge?

Author Thread Post new topic Reply to topic
cranky

2/14/14 1:50 PM

Accessories for Garmin Edge?

Hi Folks,

I'm about to pull the trigger on a Garmin Edge 800. If anyone would be kind enough to give me his/her opinion on accessories to get, I'd really appreciate it.

Hardware or software, data analysis, mapping services, or anything else.

I plan to use this on multiple bikes and may be using it on trips away from home where I might not have access to a computer to charge it via USB port.

Many thanks in advance for your recommendations!

--cranky

Last edited by cranky on 2/14/14 2:05 PM; edited 1 time in total

Reply to topic    

Nick Payne

2/14/14 2:01 PM

I use the out-front mount to keep the unit off the handlebar and stem: https://buy.garmin.com/en-US/US/shop-by-accessories/mounts/out-front-bike-mount/prod114881.html

Reply to topic    

sanrensho

2/14/14 3:13 PM

2nd the out front mount. (There are a bunch of different types available.) Strava if you're not already signed up for it.

Reply to topic    

dfcas

2/14/14 4:00 PM

Don't use a metal mount, as there have been countless reports of the mounting "ears" shearing off. Only use plastic mounts.

I had the speed/cadence sensor and it was useless on the road, as it made the speed readings erratic. It would be OK on a trainer, but on the road don't bother.

Reply to topic     Send e-mail

walter

2/14/14 9:49 PM

check out the BarFly mount

from what i understand its stiffer and more secure than the OEM mounts. i use a Joule GPS and the OEM is a noodle in comparison. i'm sure the garmin equiv is the same.

get the v2.0, it's compatible with the diff versions of garmins and provides a nice mounting spot for your Di2 box.

rumor.com/2013/04/05/barfly-garmin-updates-to-2-0-includes-more-mounts-di2-and-eps-compatibility-more/

Brian Nystrom

2/15/14 6:49 AM

The speed/cadence sensor can be finicky...

...but I've been using them on the road for years (with a 500) and they generally work fine. The issues seem to occur primarily when the battery gets low. Sometimes, getting them to connect with the head unit after a battery change may take a few tries, but once they're connected, they're quite reliable.

I have them on two bikes and ride without them on 4 others. You need to set up a separate profile in the head unit for each sensor. I have one for each of mine, plus a third profile for the bikes that don't have the sensors (my fixie, 'cross bike and MTBs). That has worked just fine.

Reply to topic    

cranky

2/18/14 5:38 AM

Thanks guys!

--cranky

Reply to topic    

mfurtick

2/18/14 8:25 PM

A friend is upgrading to the 810 and his offered to sell me his 800. Other than techno coolness, what are the benefits/features that justify the $$$. Not sure if I want to get sucked into the Strava drama. He is upgrading to get the tracking feature.

Mark

Reply to topic    

Nick Payne

2/19/14 1:03 AM

I'd also say that if you're going to use the Garmin to its potential, know how to create routes and load them onto the device. My method:

1. Create the route in Google Maps and export as KML

2. Use GPSVisualizer ( http://www.gpsvisualizer.com/convert_input?convert_format=gpx ) to convert to KML file to GPX. Before clicking the "Convert" button, make sure that you expand "Advanced Options" and change "Merge all tracks" to Yes, otherwise you'll wind up with a separate GPX file for each destination point that you used in Google Maps.

3. Save the GPX file from GPSVisualizer onto your PC, connect the Garmin, and copy the file into the "Garmin\NewFiles" folder on the Garmin.

4. To use the route, go through the wrench icon on the home screen to load the route (exact sequence depends on the model you have).

These days, if I'm organising a ride to do with friends, I usually do the above and then email them the GPX file.

A good website to learn more about GPS is on the Audax UK site at http://www.aukadia.net/gps/

Reply to topic    

Brian Nystrom

2/19/14 6:36 AM

I haven't used routes on my 500...

...mainly due to the tiny screen that I can't read while riding. Additionally, the firmware is buggy and routes seem to be a constant source of frustration for people that use them. Hopefully those problems have been solved in the 800/810, but knowing Garmin, I wouldn't hold my breath.

Reply to topic    

Nick Payne

2/19/14 2:08 PM

I have the Edge Touring (I wasn't interesting in cadence or pulse rate, only routing, and the Touring is considerably cheaper than the 800/810), and it seems to cope with routes ok. I've ridden quite a number of courses that I've created using the method described above. The turn warnings and indications seem to work fine - if I go off course because I took a different road, the Edge keeps complaining that I am off course, but when I get back on the intended route, it recognises this and starts giving me correct instructions and turn indications again.

I also like that I can download the free OSM maps for any part of the world that I want and install them on the device: http://garmin.openstreetmap.nl/

Reply to topic    

henoch

2/19/14 3:08 PM

Has anyone used routing on the 705? I have the 705 I tried using it once and it didn't seem to work at all.
I might have done something wrong so I want to see if anyone has any success with that?.

Reply to topic    

cranky

2/22/14 9:33 AM

Nick, thanks a lot for the GPS instructions!

-cranky

Reply to topic    

dfcas

2/22/14 11:50 AM

I just ordered a Touring Plus. I want to download the map of a local race and do it in pieces. Its 70 miles and tons of steep, off road climbing, so its more than I can do in one day.

dan emery

2/22/14 12:35 PM

Review please

Dan, let us know how that works. I'm thinking about getting something like that for D2R2 (just signed up for the long version, a quixotic quest in my case).

I'd normally be inclined to ridicule folks using such devices, but desperate rides require desperate measures...

Reply to topic    

dfcas

2/22/14 3:09 PM

Heres some video from the race. I'm sure the "roads" will be worse after this winter.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZKlX__85jSU

Heres a better one:

http://vimeo.com/69059000

Sparky

2/22/14 3:17 PM

"I'd normally be inclined to ridicule folks using such devices, but desperate rides require desperate measures..."

Couldn't resist, sorry. ;O

dfcas

2/23/14 10:43 AM

I've taken a quiet winter, only doing short, easy trainer rides not very often. I feel refreshed and ready to go now, and look forward to it. I plan to track my riding this year and see how much elevation I climb, using Garmin connect. I dont really need the mapping stuff, but I want to track all my rides and a GPS is nice to move between bikes.

Return to CyclingForum Home Page CYCLING TECH TALK FORUM
           View New Threads Since My Last Visit VIEW THREADS SINCE MY LAST VISIT
           Start a New Thread

Last Thread | Next Thread  >  

If you enjoy this site, please consider pledging your support

cyclingforum.com - where cyclists talk tech
Cycling TTF Rides Throughout The World

Cyclingforum is powered by SYNCRONICITY.NET in Denver, Colorado -