Return to CyclingForum Home Page CYCLING TECH TALK FORUM
          View posts since last visit

First US gold metal of 2014
 Goto page Previous  1, 2

Author Thread Post new topic Reply to topic
Sparky

2/15/14 7:45 PM

Anchor Leg ?? Is this a relay ??

Never mind, watching it in the DVR now..

;)

Is FishHair a bigger idiot than ever, or is it me?

Last edited by Sparky on 2/18/14 4:07 PM; edited 1 time in total

Reply to topic     Send e-mail

Sparky

2/15/14 8:21 PM

Wow!!!!!!

Sparky

2/15/14 8:52 PM

The women's short track medal speed skating pissed me off. Same KOR skater screws up the US skater in both the last qualifier and the medal run.

Large Hill ski jump; 130+ Meters in the air. Whew! I think that constitutes flying, gliding anyway....

Sparky

2/17/14 12:10 AM

More to piss me off. That asshole just was not going to be happy until she badgered Bode Miller to tears on camera thinking about his brother when he should be festive about the Metal he earned. Not to mention the camera stalk afterwards, not the interviews doing really ??

Fookin Maggots!

-----
Question seem to be becoming did the Bode machine [ala LA lessons] perhaps orchestrate it ??

Christin Cooper, the interviewer is getting hammered on Inet and social media...

Brian Nystrom

2/18/14 6:26 AM

Orchestrate it?

What would be the point? What could he possibly have to gain? It sounds like some moronic idea floated by people who don't like him. He's an odd personality and difficult to figure out, which can make him hard to like, but come on...

Reply to topic    

dan emery

2/18/14 7:04 AM

order from corporate

I suspect she was told to press that angle to develop "human interest" and build ratings. Like when they try to build up rivalries between teammates for the sake of a story, and won't ask about anythng else even though the teammates may get along fine. IMHO it was obnoxious, I turned it off in the middle of the interview. I highly doubt Miller had anything to do with it, and I think he would have been well within his rights to tell her where to jump.

FWIW I've always found Miller pretty straightforward, and he certainly hasn't exploited his huge talent for endorsements, etc.

Reply to topic    

Sparky

2/18/14 2:35 PM

"What would be the point?"

Can't suggest what that could/might be beyond a guess, just pointing out the possibility.

Pre interview interviews and all...

For all I know he may have green lighted it, then when it came time he was already feeling more retrospect in his feelings than he expected.

The fact that we are having the convo is sad really..

Last edited by Sparky on 2/18/14 4:08 PM; edited 1 time in total

April

2/18/14 4:02 PM

quote:
I suspect she was told to press that angle to develop "human interest" and build ratings.

Those "human interest" crap is why I only watch the minimal amount of the Olympic on TV now.

I can't stand those huge amounts of cheezy non-sport contents. There's a difference between having sport as entertainment vs pure entertainment with sport being only the excuse, which the Olympic is now. There's no sport, no competition, just a few seconds of clips then 10 times the "human interest"!

I'm not terribly interested in "watching" most of the games anyway. But if I were, I know I can always proxy into our office's Canadian server and get CBC coverage online!

henoch

2/18/14 4:14 PM

I have watched allot of this Olympics actually, and I don't know what your talking about.

Reply to topic    

Matthew Currie

2/19/14 12:06 AM

I have watched allot of this Olympics actually, and I don't know what your talking about.

I missed the incident too, except for a brief replay, but what is being talked about here, I think, involves a newscaster stuffing the mike in Bodie Miller's face and asking him about his dead brother.

Really, it's just an extension of the usual bad taste, where the standard question seems to be "how does it feel to lose?" or variations thereof.

Reply to topic    

Brian Nystrom

2/19/14 6:33 AM

I must be watching a different Olympics...

...than April, as there is plenty of sports content, with the only major annoyance being the number of commercials.

Reply to topic    

April

2/19/14 8:52 AM

Different standard!

What you all considered "plenty of sports" is pitiful!

But if that's all you got for the past 10 (worse, 20 years!), it's probably "plenty good" for you.

I haven't watched the Olympic in earnest for probably 15 years since I moved away from the Canadian boarder when I could get the Canadian coverage. During the last 20 years, I've only watched it in one year when I happened to be in Hong Kong. I'm much more used to almost ZERO "human interest" and all sports (plus commercial, granted)!

Frankly, I found all the post winning "interview" totally pointless, "Bode episode" notwithstanding. All the air time devoted to those are just time not spend covering other "minor" events. I'd much rather watch the prelim round of figure skating or qualifying round of skiercross etc, than to watch Bode cry! But I suppose that's what the average American viewer prefer instead.

JohnC

2/19/14 10:00 AM

April, you're simply wrong if you're assuming that the balance between actual sports coverage and human-interest background is the same as 15 or 20 years ago when you stopped watching. It ain't. They have shifted it A LOT.

I'm all for snobbery, but yours is misplaced, denigrating the "average American viewer" for preferring something you imagine to exist.

BTW, they have shown every damn round of every figure skating event, sometimes live and then repeated in prime time. And NBC's other four channels have broadcast a lot of hours of other events, including the sliding sports, many hockey games, curling, cors-country skiing, etc.

I don't think the coverage is perfect, but it's not what you think it is.

And seriously, you really don't enjoy an occasional post-contest interview with a winner (or loser)? That's part of sport, too.

April

2/19/14 10:23 AM

quote:
April, you're simply wrong if you're assuming that the balance between actual sports coverage and human-interest background is the same as 15 or 20 years ago when you stopped watching. It ain't. They have shifted it A LOT.

I haven't "stopped watching" as you thought. I still do minimally. And the impression I've got over the past 15-20 years is different than yours.

There was a lot less "human interest" 20 years ago. But a lot more US-centric. That was my complain then.

It was probably at its worst around the 90's when it was all human interest of US athletes and little sport.

Since then, the pendulum had swung back a little so there're more sport and less human interest. And even a bit more coverage of non-US dominant events as US athelets gotten slightly higher ranking in those forgoetten events.

But that's all in relative terms. It's still way too much fluff at the expense of sports! Granted, there're other channels to cover other events. And I don't doubt there're more contineous coverage during day time broadcast. But I have to work during the day so prime time is all I got time to watch. And there weren't a lot of sport during prime time!

quote:
And seriously, you really don't enjoy an occasional post-contest interview with a winner (or loser)? That's part of sport, too.

" occasional post-contest interview ", yes. But not every single American who podium! Especially when they really don't have much interesting things to say.

In fact, it got me to believe NBC realize how boring those interviews are and that's precisely what motivate them to focus so much on Bode's brother!!!

Sparky

2/19/14 11:19 AM

I'd rather see the podium metal events than the 'human interest' bits myself. Seen one so far...

Last edited by Sparky on 2/19/14 12:02 PM; edited 1 time in total

JohnC

2/19/14 11:54 AM

quote:
And there weren't a lot of sport during prime time!

Whatever. I guess it's relative, and depends on what you mean by "a lot." I saw 15 or 20 runs by women GS skiers last night, and an equal number of ski half-pipe men. I don't expect to be riveted by every moment of any television program (maybe "Breaking Bad" was an exception). TV for me, as I suspect for most people, is usually part of a multi-taksing environment, and I nearly always have s "second screen" active (computer on my lap, or smartphone). So when some part of the broadcast is less interesting, I'm doing something else.

Diff'rent strokes. I still say the coverage has improved a great deal. I bitched about it a lot 20 years ago in the same terms you're using, but I think it's much better now.

henoch

2/19/14 11:58 AM

I'm with Brian and John on this.
I have seen lots of excellent, in depth coverage of sports like XC skiing, Speed skating, Alpine skiing etc.. where the US had no medal contenders and the coverage was great and extensive.
And as a athlete myself I actually enjoy the post race interviews, I like seeing how world class athletes think.
Sure there are also some boring human interest pieces, but I can always hit FF on the DVR if I don't want to watch them.
April I think it might be a good idea to actually know what you are talking about before you talk.

Reply to topic    

Sparky

2/19/14 12:02 PM

"April I think it might be a good idea to actually know what you are talking about before you talk."

And I think making personal comments like this should be left out and off this forum.

April

2/19/14 2:28 PM

quote:
April I think it might be a good idea to actually know what you are talking about before you talk.

What is there to know?

Like, how other networks cover the Olylmpic?

So do tell me about what you "actually know"!

Return to CyclingForum Home Page CYCLING TECH TALK FORUM
           View New Threads Since My Last Visit VIEW THREADS SINCE MY LAST VISIT
           Start a New Thread

Goto page Previous  1, 2  
Last Thread | Next Thread  >  

If you enjoy this site, please consider pledging your support

cyclingforum.com - where cyclists talk tech
Cycling TTF Rides Throughout The World

Cyclingforum is powered by SYNCRONICITY.NET in Denver, Colorado -