HOMECLUBS | SPONSORS | FEATURESPHOTO GALLERYTTF DONORS | SHOP FOR GEAR

Return to CyclingForum Home Page CYCLING TECH TALK FORUM
          View posts since last visit

Rear LED flasher combined with HD video camera

Author Thread Post new topic Reply to topic
Nick Payne

2/12/14 12:27 AM

Rear LED flasher combined with HD video camera

Here's a good idea, combining a taillight flasher with a built-in HD video camera: http://fly6.com/

Reply to topic    

sanrensho

2/12/14 12:41 AM

Definitely has potential. DCRainmaker did a review and the footage seemed usable except for the light from the ring of LEDs surrounding the lens.

I would be more tempted if they offered a front light, as an unobtrusive, budget GoPro w/white flasher.

Reply to topic    

sandiway

2/12/14 1:52 AM

5 hours ain't enough for an all-day ride. Unless you can switch the battery out - I suspect it's recharged via USB - it won't be set and forget.

I also wonder if the lens is good enough to be able to identify license plates clearly.

Sandiway

Reply to topic    

Sparky

2/12/14 1:58 AM

How many states still have front and back plates?

Reply to topic     Send e-mail

Dave B

2/12/14 7:53 AM

quote:

Certainly not that many.

Also, the great majority of bike/car accidents are T-bones from oncoming cars turning left in front of the rider or turning right just after passing the rider or pulling out from a side street or driveway into the rider's path.

A very small percent are rear end collisions where the car hits the bike from behind and a rear facing camera will only help with these.

Sanrensho's idea of a front flasher/camera would be far more useful. I wonder if it could be set to do time-lapse pictures, say 1 or 2 frames per second, to extend the battery life and still give evidence in an accident.

JohnC

2/12/14 9:44 AM

quote:
quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Certainly not that many.

Actually, a majority - 31, plus D.C. 11 of the 19 that don't are in the South.
[url]http://blogs.cars.com/kickingtires/2013/10/how-many-states-require-front-license-plates.html [/url]

I'm generally skeptical of the usefulness of cameras for this kind of evidence-gathering, but the technology keeps getting better and cheaper, so maybe I'm wrong.

Jesus Saves

2/12/14 10:03 AM

Storage, not battery power is the limiter

Battery life is certainly one constraint, but even if you have UBER battery life, recording video gets quite dear with respect to storage space. Recording 5 hours of HD 720p will take up quite a bit of space - much more than the included 8GB of flash storage. (That's an off the cuff guess/estimate comment). Even if you swap it out of the (current) max sized micro SD card, you may still not reach 5 hours of recording time. I think storage space, not battery power is the limiter. Someone more up to date with micro sds can confirm such.

Reply to topic    

Andy M-S

2/12/14 12:35 PM

Looper

I haven't read more than what's been posted here, but the idea that it's a LOOP implies that you don't use this to record HD video of an all-day ride. You use it to record threatening or injurious behavior and then you STOP THE RECORDING. The loop just means that you'll have the last 5 hours, 45 minutes, or whatever in the can.

Sparky

2/12/14 12:39 PM

Loop?

So when you get to court they show a viddy of the headliner of the police SUV as evidence it looped over until the battery went dead ? ;O

hmmm...

Review here: http://www.dcrainmaker.com/2014/02/fly6-hd-camera-light.html

Sparky

2/12/14 1:00 PM

After reading the review, it seems a big enough SD card that can't possibly get the recording looped over is that solution to a serious post accident recovery of usable data.

Also this is a FAQ some place:
"Hopefully this never happens but if it does and your bike is down for more than 3 seconds, your Fly6 will continue recording (subject to battery life and the device not being damaged) for one hour then will automatically turn off. This is for the purpose of capturing any post incident footage that may be worth preserving.”

On this subject, the Serfas 60 lumen blinky I got recently I am convinced is effective. I can see the difference cars going past me, having seen me and my existance being in their brain sooner has.

Sparky

2/12/14 1:04 PM

FAQ here: http://fly6.com/support/faqs/

mag7

2/12/14 4:40 PM

I'm waiting for a combo camera/bike computer/HRM unit....thought Shimano would do that but it looks like just a camera....for now.

Nick Payne

2/12/14 7:49 PM

quote:
Also, the great majority of bike/car accidents are T-bones from oncoming cars turning left in front of the rider or turning right just after passing the rider or pulling out from a side street or driveway into the rider's path.

Here, the majority of incidents we have with with cars are not collisions but motorists monstering cyclists. I've found in the past that having photographic/video evidence of such behaviour makes the police much more likely to actually proceed with a charge.

Reply to topic    

Sparky

2/12/14 8:20 PM

"monstering cyclists."

??

Dave B

2/12/14 9:53 PM

quote:
Here, the majority of incidents we have with with cars are not collisions but motorists monstering cyclists. I've found in the past that having photographic/video evidence of such behaviour makes the police much more likely to actually proceed with a charge.

I assume "monstering" is what we'd call harassing. Again, a rear view camera isn't going to be much help unless the car attacks from behind repeatedly.

Return to CyclingForum Home Page CYCLING TECH TALK FORUM
           View New Threads Since My Last Visit VIEW THREADS SINCE MY LAST VISIT
           Start a New Thread

Last Thread | Next Thread  >  

If you enjoy this site, please consider pledging your support

cyclingforum.com - where cyclists talk tech
Cycling TTF Rides Throughout The World

Cyclingforum is powered by SYNCRONICITY.NET in Denver, Colorado -