HOMECLUBS | SPONSORS | FEATURESPHOTO GALLERYTTF DONORS | SHOP FOR GEAR

Return to CyclingForum Home Page CYCLING TECH TALK FORUM
          View posts since last visit

Anybody using TrainerRoad ?

Author Thread Post new topic Reply to topic
mfurtick

1/27/14 10:01 AM

Anybody using TrainerRoad ?

Ran into a cycling friend last nite who is using this and likes it. http://www.trainerroad.com/ . I need something to spice up the trsiner rides and no longer have my power tap to measure power. This looks interesting.

And yes I do feel like a wussy posting this after Dan's post about cold weather rides!

Mark

Reply to topic    

sanrensho

1/27/14 10:35 AM

Planning to start it in the next week or two. I'll be using it with a Kurt Kinetic Road Machine, Garmin ANT stick and Garmin speed/cadence sensor.

I much prefer riding rollers and have used the KK only once this winter. At the very least, I'll be able to do FTP tests and VO2Max intervals with estimated power.

Reply to topic    

sanrensho

2/4/14 12:18 PM

Used TrainerRoad for the first time last night. Registration, installation and 1st workout (8 min FTP test) went off without a hitch.

This app/service is a keeper, although my usage will be restricted to the indoor training months. I can see how tracking (virtual) power will become addictive, and the live graph is great for feedback/motivation. I will be using this for max effort and threshold efforts from now on, but still prefer the feel of my roller setup (Kreitlers retrofitted w/mag resistance) for all other workouts.

I wish they had a pay-per-use option, so I can do the occasional FTP test during the outdoor riding months.

Reply to topic    

rickhardy
Location: Needham outside of Boston - the hub of the universe

2/4/14 12:32 PM

FTP testing

Always fun!...NOT .....only 8 mins? I have always followed a 3 minute then a 12 minute effort / test protocol to get a feel for FTP...I HATE doing those tests on a trainer.....

Reply to topic    

sanrensho

2/4/14 1:00 PM

2x8 min flat out efforts is the protocol that Carmichael uses. I've been using his Time Crunched Cyclist book for the last two winters (loosely this year as I started some running this winter).

TR only has two tests, 1x20 and 2x8, so I chose the shorter one not having the confidence to nail it for 20 minutes. I've been on the rollers all winter, so a 20-minute FTP test locked into a trainer was not very appealing.

However, I will definitely be using the KK more, now that I have TR. They have a money back policy, so it is definitely worth a try.

Reply to topic    

rickhardy

2/4/14 1:21 PM

20 mins whew!

THAT would be interminable on a trainer 12 mins is bad enough so 2 x 8 makes it somewhat manageable

Got to get in work as Emery wants to defend our 2 man TT record in August and HE'S going to Majorca!!!!! and I get to train in the basement this winter....

Reply to topic    

dan emery

2/4/14 3:18 PM

You can do it Rick

Just hang a blueberry pie in front of the trainer.

Reply to topic    

rickhardy

2/4/14 3:43 PM

Not just ANY blueberry pie

a MAINE blueberry pie...now you made me hungry with the thought AND I have a trainer session scheduled for tonight....thanks DAN :(

Reply to topic    

Return to CyclingForum Home Page CYCLING TECH TALK FORUM
           View New Threads Since My Last Visit VIEW THREADS SINCE MY LAST VISIT
           Start a New Thread

Last Thread | Next Thread  >  

If you enjoy this site, please consider pledging your support

cyclingforum.com - where cyclists talk tech
Cycling TTF Rides Throughout The World

Cyclingforum is powered by SYNCRONICITY.NET in Denver, Colorado -