CYCLINGFORUM.COM - Where Cyclists Talk Tech --- Return To Home

Register FAQ'sSearchProfileLog In / Log Out

cyclingforum.com ****

HOMECLUBS | SPONSORS | FEATURESPHOTO GALLERYTTF DONORS | SHOP FOR GEAR

Return to CyclingForum Home Page CYCLING TECH TALK FORUM
          View posts since last visit

OT: whom here would willingly buy a chinese-made OS?

Author Thread Post new topic Reply to topic
walter

1/28/14 8:54 AM

OT: whom here would willingly buy a chinese-made OS?

<B>New China-developed OS takes aim at Android, Windows
The company behind the Linux-based OS is still looking for hardware partners to use its software</B>

http://www.computerworld.com/s/article/9245501/New_China_developed_OS_takes_aim_at_Android_Windows

software from a generally free country like the US is riddle enough with holes and back-doors, i can only imagine what treats lay in store. YOU FIRST!

Reply to topic     Send e-mail

April

1/28/14 9:05 AM

But softwares ARE full of backdoors by and large. Virus writers has been finding them all the time. It's the decision to purposely exploit those backdoors for survailence by a government that's the issue.

Chinese goverenment will no doubt demand their software maker to make those backdoor available for the government, just as the US did. The difference being Chinese software writer don't have the option to say no. (on the other hand, they also have the same option as Mr. Snowden of exposing it)

For the average joe using an Android or Windows phone, it doesn't really matter which government is listening in. On the other hand, it always amazes me how any government will be using "black box technology" surplied by a country they're (albeit secretly) at war with.

ErikS
Location: Slowing boiling over in the steamy south, Global Warming is real

1/28/14 3:16 PM

On top of the snooping we are all subject too you have to think about the virus checker business. I have always thought that M$ was in cahoots to ensure they kept their partners at mcafee etc in business. M$ wrote shit security in their OS just to keep the other guys in business.

At least I feel like apple made some effort to secure their OS.

No way I would use the Chinese written OS.

dfcas

1/28/14 3:24 PM

Maybe it would be harder for the NSA to plant spyware in it.

ErikS

1/28/14 3:38 PM

Instead the Chinese can do it and the NSA super hackers can do it on their own.

Jesus Saves

1/28/14 4:14 PM

Uhhh, tooo late though. Guess who makes the parts for "Intel Inside" and "Designed by Apple"?!? HTC got its hand slapped big time by the FTC, recently, over hardware security issues.

Reply to topic    

Jesus Saves

1/28/14 4:22 PM

quote:
M$ wrote shit security in their OS just to keep the other guys in business.

That's been the MS way from day one - not only with anitvirus, but other software vendors. Intently so, too, so as to not cannabilize their windows platform's market (of suppliers). They made Windows open for others to write software for (i.e. an extensive API). Openness entails some less restraint on security.

However, more software makes the platform more appealing to buyers/software users. It is one big reason why Microsoft Windows took off, and became a monopoly while Apple did not (in the 80s & 90s). Curiously enough, the roles have been reversed for the mobile market. Who makes software for Windows phone? Answer: not too many.

As big as MS is, they can't make everything for Windows. Instead they'd leave some parts up to the little guys. If it became really lucrative, they would eventually purchase the company.

Anti-virus software is not lucrative. Like most software, its become a commodity. There are many which offer it for free. If you go to the MS Windows security home page, they list dozens. At the very bottom, Ms lists its product, notably last - Windows Defender. I've been using it happily for quite some time.

Reply to topic    

Dave B

1/28/14 4:54 PM

??

quote:
At the very bottom, Ms lists its product, notably last - Windows Defender. I've been using it happily for quite some time.

Any thoughts on Microsoft's "Security Essentials" free anti-virus software? We've been using it for a couple of years and it seems to do a good job.

ErikS

1/28/14 6:30 PM

Like many here. At home I am apple and Linux. No M$.

Steve B.

1/28/14 7:42 PM

"Any thoughts on Microsoft's "Security Essentials" free anti-virus software? We've been using it for a couple of years and it seems to do a good job."

Been using it for about 6 mos. now on 3 Win 7 machines. No issues as far as I can tell.

I think MS finally got something right. It was recommended to me by one of our work ITS guru's. He did say "Just don't play Angry Birds on them".

Not sure why.

Reply to topic    

KerryIrons

1/28/14 8:37 PM

MSSE

I've been using MS Security Essentials (and a predecessor) for a few years with good luck. I also run Malwarebytes freeware version. It's working for me.

Reply to topic    

Jesus Saves

1/28/14 8:41 PM

Security essentials it is. My bad. Windows defender is a complementary security product.

As for the ?, with a new Windows 7 installation, in the notifications pop up dialog that is located in the lower right corner, it will tell you something to the effect...your computer is not protected. click here to protect it....
When you proceed with the instructions, it will bring you to a Microsoft web page. On that security web page is a list of more than a dozen antivirus products listed. At the bottom, as in last, Microsoft's free version is listed. It encourages you to choose one from the list.

Edit: here's the Microsoft endorsed list.
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/antivirus-partners

Reply to topic    

Dave B

1/28/14 9:48 PM

quote:
Security essentials it is. My bad. Windows defender is a complementary security product.

I looked at the MS web site under "Updates and Security". Apparently Security Essentials is for Windows 7 and prior versions while Windows Defender is for Windows 8.

I also looked at the approved antivirus vendor list you linked to. One glaring omission I noted is that McAfee is not there. I wonder why.

Also, there is a warning about having two or more antivirus programs installed at the same time. I ran into trouble with my previous computer for having just that.

Sparky

1/28/14 10:41 PM

My win8 is pestering me to DL and install a free 8.1 OS version update.

Any one do this yet?

Nick Payne

1/29/14 5:05 AM

quote:
My win8 is pestering me to DL and install a free 8.1 OS version update. Any one do this yet?

Yeah, I let my laptop update to 8.1. It's about a 3.5Gb download, so you need a fast connection or a bit of time. Can't say I've noticed any difference, but then I'm using Start8 to make the OS look like Windows 7.

Reply to topic    

Jesus Saves

1/29/14 7:31 AM

You are correct about should have only one anti-virus program running. Part of the appeal for me using the Microsoft version, it is very unobtrusive - I don't know its there/running unless I actively look for it. The virus definitions get updated regularly with other windows updates.

Microsoft's name of Windows Defender is very confusing. If I recall correctly, it was a latecomer virus protection for windows XP. For Windows 7, its for removing spyware, only. For Windows 8, its anti-virus program.

I was never much of a fan of Mcafee. When you update Adobe Flash or Reader (often!), Mcafee install is checked by default. Stealth install. Sneaky bastard. Their founder is one crazy ass b*trd & (alleged) murderer.

Reply to topic    

Dave B

1/29/14 8:24 AM

quote:
I was never much of a fan of Mcafee. When you update Adobe Flash or Reader (often!), Mcafee install is checked by default. Stealth install. Sneaky bastard. Their founder is one crazy ass b*trd & (alleged) murderer

Yeah, I made the mistake of not unchecking the "free" McAfee download box once and had to do an uninstall right afterward. I hate those downloads you have to op out of. Chrome updates have a lot of those too.

Andy M-S

1/29/14 8:40 AM

MSE and Names

Microsoft has been having naming problems of late. OfficeLive, Office365, Skydrive is becoming OneDrive, etc. MSE ->...

Ugh.

That said, I like many of Microsoft's products . I've been running MSE (or whatever it's called) for some years, and have had no problems. I also was an early adopted of Win8 and Win8.1, and have found both to be very stable.

The big user interface differences (if you use the native mode, unlike Nick or me [I'm running Classic Shell]) are that there is now a "start button" that makes use with a mouse rather than a touchscreen a bit easier, and that you can make the start screen tiles smaller. I suspect that there are greater changes under the hood, but I do not know for sure.

BTW, my son, who got a touch-screen notebook for Christmas, really likes the new 8.1 interface. I expect that I would, as well, but that given that I don't have a touch-screen machine, I'm sort of baby-ducked onto the start button.

Jesus Saves

1/29/14 8:50 AM

Andy - that's interesting feedback on Windows 8. My niece got a non-touchscreen Windows 8 laptop for Christmas. While I immediately noticed the absence of the Start button, what I found more vexxing was the lack of intuitiveness to Close an application. I had to look such up on youtube to figure it out. I'm sure Windows 8 is fine for many, but those without a touch interface they are a bit hamstrung, at least initially.

BTW, after Steve Blamer sat his mom down in front of the computer to test (the "Mom's test") the pre-release of Windows 95, when she finished the usability test, she asked him, "Where's the 'End' button?"

Reply to topic    

Andy M-S

1/30/14 8:29 AM

Cute.

The Win8 interface is really the Windows Phone interface writ large. I like it a lot on my phone, but without a touch screen on my notebook, I prefer to use something that adds a more Win7-like interface. I agree, it's hard to see how to close things.

BTW, if your niece hasn't upgraded to 8.1, she should. It takes a few hours online, but (IMO) it's worth it. I upgraded my machine when 8.1 was released, and my son's on Christmas day when he got it (apparently lots of folks were doing that, since it took a long time to update compared to my machine).

dfcas

1/30/14 5:15 PM

I guess since I buy Apple stuff I already bought a Chinese OS.

Sparky

1/30/14 6:27 PM

Re phone desktop, I have been using classic shell for a while. And I figured out how to keep that charm crap off my screen, hated that...

walter

1/30/14 6:38 PM

classic shell ROCKS!

classic windows works!

Jesus Saves

1/31/14 3:49 PM

Thanks, Andy, for the tip.

Reply to topic    

Return to CyclingForum Home Page CYCLING TECH TALK FORUM
           View New Threads Since My Last Visit VIEW THREADS SINCE MY LAST VISIT
           Start a New Thread

Last Thread | Next Thread  >  

If you enjoy this site, please consider pledging your support

cyclingforum.com - where cyclists talk tech
Cycling TTF Rides Throughout The World

Cyclingforum is powered by SYNCRONICITY.NET in Denver, Colorado -