HOMECLUBS | SPONSORS | FEATURESPHOTO GALLERYTTF DONORS | SHOP FOR GEAR

Return to CyclingForum Home Page CYCLING TECH TALK FORUM
          View posts since last visit

Sunrace Question

Author Thread Post new topic Reply to topic
JayPee

12/25/13 8:11 AM

Sunrace Question

Any advice that would befit a Sunrace 8 rebuild/regear rear hub? Special tools, out of the ordinary - i.e.Shimano - things to look for etc . . .

Reply to topic    

dddd

12/26/13 12:48 PM

By "re-gear", did you mean change of gear ratio?

I think it would come down to whether any parts for such are available, but likely there are alternate sprockets available from the US distributor.
Perhaps also the distributor (Sturmey-Archer???) would have a service manual available online.

Reply to topic    

Jesus Saves

12/27/13 2:46 PM

For re-gearing, you will want to look at sourcing rear sprocket with a different tooth count as another poster suggested.

As someone who does his own wrenching, I'd opt to repair a DuraAce shifter before working on an internal gear hub. And I'd dare to rank the former activity lower in preference to the activity of counting the hairs on my head.

Taking apart a internal hub gear is not for the faint of heart. I did such with a Sturmey Archer 5 speed hub. It was like I re-enacted a cartoon scene of opening up an analog watch and then have all these loose bits sprung/explode out of the body. Not fun. I did not even want to take it apart to repair. All I wanted to do was drop in some light oil to lube.

Subsequently, it was an equally formidable challenge to source someone who really knew how to repair internal geared hubs. He was slightly befuddled at my 5 speed setup. At the time that was the max internal hub gearing and he was more familiar with then more common 3 speed hubs.

Sun Race purchased Sturmey-Archer circa year 2000 out of/just before bankruptcy. The names are interchangeable. The Sturmey-Archer brand is better known in the West while Sun Race in the East.

Reply to topic    

Dave B

12/27/13 2:59 PM

A Source

JayPee,

There is a guy on Bike Mechanics sub forum of BikeForums.net who specializes in IGH's. PM me at djbhomeATverizonDOTnet and I'll give you his contact info.

Reply to topic     Send e-mail

JayPee

12/31/13 10:03 AM

danka

Late day update: Turns out its a "standard" shimano compatible cassette bearing hub my friend is fussing with. Ala this: http://www.ebay.com/itm/8-Speed-Sunrace-Road-Bike-Cassette-Shimano-or-Sram-Compatible-12-25-/281180199264

Not much special to be concerned with I imagine.

Reply to topic    

Return to CyclingForum Home Page CYCLING TECH TALK FORUM
           View New Threads Since My Last Visit VIEW THREADS SINCE MY LAST VISIT
           Start a New Thread

Last Thread | Next Thread  >  

If you enjoy this site, please consider pledging your support

cyclingforum.com - where cyclists talk tech
Cycling TTF Rides Throughout The World

Cyclingforum is powered by SYNCRONICITY.NET in Denver, Colorado -