Question for the photography geeks
 Goto page Previous  1, 2

Author Thread Post new topic Reply to topic
Nick Payne

11/30/13 10:29 PM

quote:
Let me stick this here:

http://www.forbes.com/sites/amadoudiallo/2013/11/27/iphone-5-replaced-dslr/
Yes, we can all put our expensive multi-speed light weight bikes in storage for a year and ride around on 35lb single speed sit-up-and-beg machines. It'll make us better cyclists...

Reply to topic    

April

12/1/13 4:26 PM

quote:
Yes, we can all put our expensive multi-speed light weight bikes in storage for a year and ride around on 35lb single speed sit-up-and-beg machines. It'll make us better cyclists...

LOL!

Let's see, if I'm a professional racer not podiuming and getting a bit burn out,..

First, let me get a real heavy bike. That would make me work that much harder so I should get stronger fast! :D

Next, I'll enter a amature race (aka black-n-white photo), where I will dominate the field! Granted, I can't get the prize since I'm a sandbagger. But I still feel pretty good to come in first. ;-)

Last but not least, I'll get to see a lot more of the scenery in my upright position, which might very well solve my burn out issue!

Not a bad strategy!

(I do think the last point is valid btw, but the only point worthy)

Reply to topic     Send e-mail

Nick Payne

12/11/13 1:22 AM

How's this for a good catch - by both the eagle and the photographer. Taken in the West Australian wheatbelt during harvesting. The fox was bolting from the harvesting operations and the Wedge-Tailed Eagle caught it on the run. The photo was taken by one of the chaser bin drivers. The fox is still alive (but not for long). Now if only the eagles could be trained to go after all the feral cats as well.

Reply to topic    

dan emery

12/11/13 5:27 PM

Fox Hunt

That picture is eerily evocative of the great Winslow Homer painting Fox Hunt. I saw the painting in a show recently, pictures do not begin to convey how forbidding it is. In general, Homer is unbelievable.

http://www.pafa.org/museum/The-Collection-Greenfield-American-Art-Resource/Tour-the-Collection/Category/Collection-Detail/985/mkey--1214/

Reply to topic    

Sparky

12/11/13 5:43 PM

That is such a cool shot.

Brian Nystrom

12/12/13 6:28 AM

Not if you're the fox!

I wonder what happened after this? It looks to me like the fox could turn it's head and latch onto one of the eagle's legs. Purely speculation, of course.

Reply to topic    

Nick Payne

12/12/13 12:11 PM

It's actually not that uncommon for eagles to take foxes. One of the local keen birdos was telling me that on a research project a few years ago, the bones of foxes, cats, and even a couple of small dogs were found scattered underneath Wedge-Tailed Eagle nests.

Reply to topic    

April

12/12/13 3:12 PM

quote:
It looks to me like the fox could turn it's head and latch onto one of the eagle's legs.

Don't think so.

I've picked up cats and dogs on the back of their neck (high up, close to their head). They may twich but they can't turn their head back far enough to get to my hand (the eagle's legs)

What the fox will try, is to reach up with the front foot and claw at the eagle's leg. But the eagle knows that all along so it pinches hard back there, it immobilize the fox's shoulder so it can't move its front legs.

What works for me to immobilize uncorperating cats, I bet works for the eagle on uncorperating foxes too! :D

Sparky

12/12/13 3:23 PM

Imagine witnessing an in flight fight if the fox got some traction and bite, so to speak. now that woudl be something to witness!

April

12/12/13 3:33 PM

quote:
Imagine witnessing an in flight fight if the fox got some traction and bite

The key is in the "traction" part.

Without its feet touching the ground, the fox has no "traction", literally speaking!

Sparky

12/12/13 3:44 PM

Yes, big 'if' for sure. More likely he will become some of those bones under the nest. ;)

Seems like the raptor has a left shoulder hold a touch low there. Imagine the force of the talons digging into the fox. I doubt the raptor will ease that grip before the fox is motionless either.

Return to CyclingForum Home Page CYCLING TECH TALK FORUM
           View New Threads Since My Last Visit VIEW THREADS SINCE MY LAST VISIT
           Start a New Thread

Goto page Previous  1, 2  
Last Thread | Next Thread  >  

If you enjoy this site, please consider pledging your support

cyclingforum.com - where cyclists talk tech
Cycling TTF Rides Throughout The World

Cyclingforum is powered by SYNCRONICITY.NET in Denver, Colorado -