Return to CyclingForum Home Page CYCLING TECH TALK FORUM
          View posts since last visit

How times change

Author Thread Post new topic Reply to topic
sandiway

9/26/13 2:37 PM

How times change

I noticed this remark

"While nearly all professional riders race on tubulars for road events, a select few choose clinchers for time trials as they can offer lower rolling resistance."

See http://www.cyclingnews.com/features/pro-bike-tony-martins-specialized-shiv-tt

Sandiway

Reply to topic    

dddd

10/12/13 8:23 PM

Yeah, clinchers, especially wider clinchers on wide rims, offer the lowest rolling resistance, but still can't match tubular's lighter weight, run-flat performance or supposedly cornering prowess.

Off road, the ability to run tubular 'cross tires at lower pressure may decrease the total rolling resistance where soft soils can allow a harder tire to sink in more deeply.

Reply to topic    

Dave B

10/13/13 7:23 AM

Tubeless?

How has the development of tubeless tires altered the road and off road picture? They can be lighter and are pinch-flat proof so they can be run at lower pressure for off-road or 'cross.

Reply to topic     Send e-mail

dddd

10/14/13 11:18 PM

Yes, they can, but at increasing risk of "burping" the air past the bead as the pressure gets lower. Tubulars, especially Tufo Tubeless tubulars, don't have this problem.
There are also now seamless tubulars with tubes, from Continental iir., which cannot be repaired.

Reply to topic    

Brian Nystrom

10/15/13 5:18 AM

Tubeless isn't there yet

I love tubeless on the MTB, but I have burped a tire once or twice. Road tubeless shouldn't have that problem, but although the tire selection has improved, it's still lacking and the tires are somewhat heavy (as with MTB tubeless). I don't see how it would be possible to run tubeless tires at the ultra-low pressures that racers run in 'cross tubulars without burping tires constantly.

Tubeless rim design is still in flux, but it may be heading toward rims with straight beads instead of hooks (like car and motorcycle rims) in order to improve impact/dent resistance. Specialized has such rims out now, though I think only in carbon.

Reply to topic    

Sparky

10/15/13 10:46 AM

I run my DA tubeless wheels with tubes. But I gotta say the way the bead hooks in is cool. I may spy for some tubless tires to give it a shot. But the time i have I just do not see the value in it for the price and weight all tolled. Especially when I am paying under 40 for my Conti 4Ks. I do like the wider rim and how a 23 or 25 sits on them. Not quite as wide as the A23s. [since I fixed a broke spoke I am once bit caught out on the road, and have them for sale].

I never had a pinch flat on road I'd add, and frankly don't recall fixing a MTB flat that was a pinch. Even using 35C on the CX on single track. But I do like the 45C for that, but am out. Yada

sandiway

10/16/13 11:38 AM

new wide rims

Someone posted this on facebook, looks like a neat idea for coping with the new wide rims and the old-style narrow rims at the same time...

http://caw-designs.com/?page_id=715

Sandiway

Reply to topic    

Sparky

10/16/13 11:52 AM

Interesting if not pricey ? ;)

I just run my wide rims with the wheel removal release lever up on Shimano calipers. On the two bikes with the Campy style with the levers out. I have huge hands and the extra reach for me no an issue. The TCX has adjusters on the CX top levers. As do a few other bikes in the stable with inline barrel adjusters. Although they can look dorky on a bike like the Scott or zoot bikes of course. ;) God Forbid.

Return to CyclingForum Home Page CYCLING TECH TALK FORUM
           View New Threads Since My Last Visit VIEW THREADS SINCE MY LAST VISIT
           Start a New Thread

Last Thread | Next Thread  >  

If you enjoy this site, please consider pledging your support

cyclingforum.com - where cyclists talk tech
Cycling TTF Rides Throughout The World

Cyclingforum is powered by SYNCRONICITY.NET in Denver, Colorado -