HOMECLUBS | SPONSORS | FEATURESPHOTO GALLERYTTF DONORS | SHOP FOR GEAR

Return to CyclingForum Home Page CYCLING TECH TALK FORUM
          View posts since last visit

OT: summer has come early

Author Thread Post new topic Reply to topic
Nick Payne

10/13/13 5:03 PM

OT: summer has come early

An aquatic centre carpark in Sydney yesterday. A hot windy day, a fire started (was started?) in nearby bush and several dozen cars were destroyed.

Reply to topic    

Sparky

10/13/13 11:59 PM

What a mess.

I played fireman today as well.

My 84 year old neighbor is moving. He was sorting out some boat stuff and came across a flare kit. I am over there as I brought him some boxes I had left over from our move. He is looking at the flare kit on the tailgate of his truck and asks me if I want them.

I look at the box and they are made in 89 and expire in 1992. I say toss that junk and walk across the street and down one house to my place. I am just about to walk in the the door of my place and I hear, pop, fisssssssssSSSST! and see the 7' high hedge which blocks the view of his place from mine with a smoke fest about 4' and up. The hedge instantly bursts into flames. I run back to the other side where he is and he is in full on panic mode.

The shed against the hedge has flame running up and under the roof overhang. Handing me his phone he says call the fire dept. I dial 911 and suggest they send a fire engine and tell them I am going to put a hose on it but not sure it will be effective. I look down at the bottom in front of the door of the shed now igniting and see 4 boat gas cans next to the 3 boats. I run over and grab them and toss them away from the burning hedge which now has a 6' wide burning section going on, up from the middle point so far. Glad the flare started mid way up and not lower for sure.

I grab his hose and run over there to the hedge and manage to abate the flames and turn to the shed now on fire. This abates the shed fire as left of the previously flaming hedge [which now has a 6' wide view to the neighbors pile of wood for his newly framed house awaiting the trusses to be delivered] bursts back into flames. Hose left for a bit, hose right for a bit and I get it under control as two fire trucks pull up. The shed is smoldering, so I concentrate water there. He is sitting holding his chest and I suggest the recuse truck folks check him out as I know he has nitro pills in his pocket.

All ended well, except for the hedge really. Well some char on the edge of the shed and roof overhang... He is OK, or was last I checked....

Then I went for a bike ride...

Reply to topic     Send e-mail

Return to CyclingForum Home Page CYCLING TECH TALK FORUM
           View New Threads Since My Last Visit VIEW THREADS SINCE MY LAST VISIT
           Start a New Thread

Last Thread | Next Thread  >  

If you enjoy this site, please consider pledging your support

cyclingforum.com - where cyclists talk tech
Cycling TTF Rides Throughout The World

Cyclingforum is powered by SYNCRONICITY.NET in Denver, Colorado -